Page 5 of 15 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 next Page »

RE: Posting Videos

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:13 pm
by K Kromp • 27 Posts

Yeah thanks man I will work on that, always played this way for the more aggresive sound, but in fast picking it seems that its holding me back, I noticed that I sometimes do the circle motion it seem good for changing strings. Keep up the great work here on Pebbers Forum and of course anywhere else!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:37 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Hey Ursin,

My problem is that the pick often slides out from between my thumb and forefinger if I loosen my hand to achieve a more relaxed, floating motion of the hand. If I hold the pick somewhat stronger, my forearm tightens up a little. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem. I guess it's about finding the balance..

Also, when I try to combine the forearm motion with that of the thumb and forefinger's I find that I am slower with the fingers. Again, is this something that will improve with practice or will there always be some "lowest common denominators" in the equation, like when, for instance, the left hand cannot keep up with the picking hand?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:37 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: Case wrote in post #102
Hey Ursin,

My problem is that the pick often slides out from between my thumb and forefinger if I loosen my hand to achieve a more relaxed, floating motion of the hand. If I hold the pick somewhat stronger, my forearm tightens up a little. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem. I guess it's about finding the balance..

Also, when I try to combine the forearm motion with that of the thumb and forefinger's I find that I am slower with the fingers. Again, is this something that will improve with practice or will there always be some "lowest common denominators" in the equation, like when, for instance, the left hand cannot keep up with the picking hand?

If the pick is sliding, that is a problem. Pebber likes the Dava picks. They have a nice grip and do not slip out of the hand. John McLaughlin takes a Jazz III and makes some slices in it with a razor so it doesn't slide. Dunlop is also making Max Grip picks. I'd experiment with some of those if the pick is slipping. You don't want any tension.

You don't want to use any forearm. Wrist, scalpel, sarod. When combining these it is difficult and takes lots of practice. Work on each one individually before you start working on combining them.

Your left hand has to keep up with your picking hand. If it cannot keep up, slow it down. Start very slow.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:41 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Quick video running through Scaletone 1 position 2 sequences.
plenty of mistake put it down to toothache and ruddy kids.... but hey we all suck right!!

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE!

Last edited Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:02 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:06 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Cheers Ursin! I'll experiment with these picks and let you know which one worked best. Also thanks for the advice on the techniques.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:45 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Hi Guys
I am Pebber's new student. I have been taking lessons form him for almost 4 months now and here I have a video of me doing Four
Finger Trill pattern With Open strings Lesson 7.40 (0-1-4-3-2-3-4-1). I am doing 2 notes per beat on 160 bpm. This is my first attempt to do this trill pattern but I have done all of the trill patterns that he has on his website. Any suggestions on the technique is appreciated.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Ok. So I tried to upload the video on the forum but it looks like it didnt work and it isn't allowing me to edit my last post either. I uploaded the video on youtube and here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRubo78lK...be_gdata_player

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: diegopaudyal wrote in post #107
Ok. So I tried to upload the video on the forum but it looks like it didnt work and it isn't allowing me to edit my last post either. I uploaded the video on youtube and here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRubo78lK...be_gdata_player

I think you are on the right track! Your fretboard hand looks good. Fingers curved. Nice! Keep going. Keep practicing. Stay at it.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey
Thanx a lot! I feel more encouraged to practice after reading your positive comment.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:02 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Left hand looks good - you may want to over exaggerate the thumb position so that it sits VERY low while you practice. This is very helpful for building stamina and strength. Tilt the neck up more like Randy Rhoads! Overall quite excellent though. Thanks for puttin gup this post. yeah drag that thumb back down a bit more.... way low behind the neck you can do it if you tilt the neck up more.

Nice video backdrop by the way..... ha ha

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:42 am

Thank you for your reply and I will keep that in my every time I practice. Well thank you! lol. I have a t-shirt business and I put designs on the shirts. Yea you see few blank shirts on the background.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:00 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Zitat
It's cool bro. We've all got work to do myself included. There were lots of times Pebber would and still tells me "This sucks" "That sucked" "Ok that was cool" "No...try this" "What are you doing" "Ok, this is good" etc etc

Trial and error and practice

The key to this is, play over that track 100 times. Video tape each one. Watch them all back. You'll see that it gets better. Then do it another 100 times. Keep doing it. Keep practicing.

I promise I won't keep posting covers since I know the goal is to post practicing videos. But if you'd be kind enough to give me feedback on one more, here's my attempt at a Santana song. I created the whole backing track so comments on that are appreciated too.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:16 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Hey man - nice job! I've listened to this a good few times now.
Speaking as a fellow guitarist, I would very happy with myself if I'd recorded that performance. I'm sure you're aware of the couple of places where it doesn't quite work so well. Having seen your technique vids, I'm pretty sure you could nail those parts with a little more practice.
I do think there's a certain tentative quality to your playing on this one, like maybe you've just learnt the right notes in the the right order, but aren't quite comfortable in your own ability to play it yet. I think a few more rehearsals of it, and then thinking a bit more about the feel of the piece would help here.
Don't mean to sound to negative: overall I thought it was great :).

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 am
by John567 • 156 Posts

Hey diraben,

How are you making the backing tracks? If you got the time be as specific as you can. I'm just curious about it. I'm looking to get into recording more and more but I'm not to up to date on the most efficient way on doing it these days. Any help would be appreciated (links, etc.).

Again, the Carvin looks and sounds sweet....

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:40 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

I'm willing to discuss this at length in the hopes that the Pebber crowd begins to create & share backing tracks. Start a new thread if anyone else is intereted in this. Sorry that this is long, but you did ask for in depth info.

First off, I'm a total beginner at this. My background is an 8-week cousera.org class on music production from Berklee (totally free and you get to keep the lecture videos forever), 'Mixing Secrets' by Mike Senior, and youTube.

I downloaded the 60-day trial of Reaper Reaper as my DAW, and I plan on buying it when that runs out. It's super cheap and does everything the major DAWs do. There's a 300+ page user's manual, a very active forum, and boatloads of videos for anything you'd possible want to do. Rumor has it you don't actually have to pay when the trial runs out, but I don't know that to be true yet.

Drums are most time consuming. There are tons of options, but I chose EZdrummer for now. I create a MIDI track in Reaper and I program the drums using the MIDI editor. Tons of options for that too (play it on a MIDI controller or your computer keyboard, use point & click to draw notes, d'load a guitar pro tab file and export someone else's drums to MIDI, etc., etc.). Add a EZdrummer VSTi to a set of stereo tracks and set up send/receives from the MIDI track to the VSTi tracks. Now the EZdrummer kit is playing my MIDI. For Samba Pa Ti, I did this twice since I used two different EZDrummer kits. One for snares and another for the shakers/congas.

I had two keyboard tracks, again using the MIDI setup described for drums. The 'clean' one uses the VST synth that comes free with Reaper. The Hammond-like one uses a pair two freeware VST plugins: NubiLE (organ) and SpinnerLE (basically a leslie).

There are two bass tracks, but that was just for convenience. For both, I recorded myself playing. I connect through an audio interface and the VST I used was Line 6's Pod Farm. I didn't spent much time at all on fiddling with the sound of the bass. Probably tracked both basslines in under 30 minutes.

Three guitar tracks, again for convenience. One has the first part. One has the high reverb fill. One has the second up-tempo part. I recorded between 1 and 5 takes for various sections of the song. [Cliff, thanks for the feedback. Had I recorded 10, 20, or as many as it takes, I agree I could have nailed everything. Who has time for that?]

This is where I stopped for the first Satriani backing track (having played only 1 take for the guitar; which was totally evident. Thanks again for the feedback Ursin!). For the Santana track, I went to step two:

Once I got everything into Reaper, then the mixing begins. The first step I took was to basically listen a bunch of times to what I had. I'd listen to single tracks, combos of tracks, etc. This told me what really needing fixing, and then that's where I went next. The two most important fixes I think will usually be bad timing on non-MIDI tracks (guitar & bass) and setting appropriate relative volume levels. The first of these is really easy to fix. The send of these is one of the core concepts of 'mixing' which many people make into successful full-time careers. I'm a newbie hack that is just having fun.

After timing fixes and the first shot at balanced volume are set, the next step I took was to start adding effects. In the end, I only ended up using EQs and Compressors. I'm not qualified to explain myself here yet, so I need to defer you to the web (I wrote above what sources I'm using to learn). A real mixer probably wouldn't have stopped there. But, you know, baby steps.

At this point I have a totally unprofessional mix. I could render to wav and then swap it into a webcam video with Windows Movie Maker for the PB forums. Or, I could mute the guitar parts I want to be able to play live and then render a backing track to wav/mp3. Or both!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:10 pm

Ok, so here I have the spider exercise Lesson 5.33 Group (2)-34 using pick. I am playing 3 notes per beat at 100 bpm tempo. Working on these spider exercise has helped a lot to build my fretting hand strength. Mostly I have been working on the fingers 2,3,4. I also try to play scale sequences using only the last 3 fingers (isolating the 1st finger) and that has helped in building the strength on those fingers.

Any suggestions, tips on my playing are very welcome.
Thanx to Guru Pebber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdgITkPpyPY&feature=youtu.be

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 05, 2013 6:45 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

Been experimenting the world of chromatic harmony...composing short Etudes around fragments of the chromatic scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1XvJ39qExQ

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 am

Made another vid today, had my first application of Sarod in a Musical context @ the end of the 2nd solo...considering the terrible covers I have uploaded in past, I consider the attention paid to detail in this one a significant milestone for me...and a testament to the efficacy of the PB sylabus content which I have been blasting my way through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A7LIOiE8L0

Last edited Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 06, 2013 10:22 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Nick, this might just be my lousy ears but I found it very difficult to tell when I was listening to you vs the audio file. Assuming you're looking for feedback from the forums, is there any way you could build the tracks on your own so we have a better chance to comment on you instead of Slash?

Last edited Mon May 06, 2013 10:23 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 06, 2013 6:54 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Try these backing tracks to ply along with nick

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/bts/Slash.htm

video sounds pretty good to me do another over the backing with your guitar a little louder.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K

Last edited Mon May 06, 2013 6:59 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 07, 2013 5:30 am

Awesome this site is perfect for me...Module 1 takes priority over a covery...so AFTER I am satisfied w/ picking for the day then I am gonna reshoot. After all, we would want people to confuse the sarod i use for the cave man stiff-arm that Slash used when he recorded the end solo.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 07, 2013 10:25 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Nick, I am digging the fucking attitude and, as a MusicMan endorser, I LOVE the guitar! The tech is coming along nicely mate! Keep it up. You are getting there. Watch the vibrato and the bends!!!!

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Sorry about my not following through on the reshoot today...I was at point where I wanted to but I was mentally tapped...(and physically exhausted) I remind myself it is not a cop-out to sleep but I really needed it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 15, 2013 3:19 pm
by dave86uk • 34 Posts

Hello guys just uploaded some videos my playing is a little sloppy here I have a banging headache & need some sleep .
Ill make sure to use my amp for better audio in the next videos & I just subscribed for private lessons with Pebber.

Ill be getting back into the daily routine tomorrow now that I have pretty much finished uni until September

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 16, 2013 5:02 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: dave86uk wrote in post #124
Hello guys just uploaded some videos my playing is a little sloppy here I have a banging headache & need some sleep .
Ill make sure to use my amp for better audio in the next videos & I just subscribed for private lessons with Pebber.

Ill be getting back into the daily routine tomorrow now that I have pretty much finished uni until September

Although the guitar is difficult to hear, the motions look correct. When you pick faster it tends to start looking a bit stiff. Try to stay loose. All said, good work. Keep pushing forward.

-Ursin
Scroll up

Page 5 of 15 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 next Page »

Visitors
0 Members and 16 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
643 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly