I DARE ya... DOUBLE dog dare ya... TRIPLE DOG DARE YA!!!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:37 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

hahaha Okay, I though it might be fun to post a thread (Aimed at you Nick!) where we sort of settle things down a bit, and take a stab at aspects involving the actual syllabus that Pebber has posted.

Here is the link; pbguitarstudio.com/pdf_files/GUITAR_PDF/Picking_Exercise_Worksheet.pdf

(This forum won't seem to allow me to post links so, just copy and paste into your browser I guess...)

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it goes way deeper than just picking, it's picking plus fingers, or just fingers as well.

So; here's the rules just so we're clear.

1)Pick however the hell you want. Sarod, Alternate, Scalpel, Fingers, whatever.
2)Each challenge relates to an aspect of the syllabus; It MUST be related to Pebber's info.
3)Post your own version of the challenge; video of you playing it on youtube LOUD and CLEAR and VISIBLE
4)Use a metronome in your posts.
5)Follow the rules outlined in each challenge, or you'll be humiliated brutally and mercilessly.
6)Post a small image of the transcription of your challenge with the post.
7)Offer up some reasoning as to why you feel your interpretation/manipulation of the technique is valid.
8)Challengers post along with the challengee's. That way, we see at least 2 perspectives on the same thing.
9)One week deadline from the challenge post, where you must post your improved version ager one week's practice. At the initial time of the challenge, the 'challenged' needs to post a video of where they are starting at. Loud, clear, with metronome. Detail your starting tempo, and make progress reports along the way telling of successes, failures, methodology, strategies, etc.
10)Keep your challenges reasonable; for instance DON'T challenge someone to play Paganini's 5th caprice and expect it to be learned in a week. DO, however feel free to post a small excerpt from a piece like that that can be digested, and assimilated in a week.
11) Keep your videos SHORT and to the POINT.
12)Have Fun. Trash talk is permitted...

So, with that said, here is my challenge, to you Nick (But open to anyone): I will understand if it's too scary.

Section 2.31, 2.32, and 2.32. Picking on a single string using downstrokes, Upstrokes, and Alternating Strokes. One very, VERY simple mindless exercise that gets you attacking all strings, and dealing with 3 aspects of picking in a short, timed burst of practice. So in short, my way of practicing Pebber's 3 sections. I think these 3 things are probably really overlooked, basic picking issues that are probably viewed as too easy, but i bet even with just a little time invested they have a huge impact on your playing. If they weren't of any use, Pebber wouldn't have it in there is my thought... So let's begin, shall we?

- 16ths. That means 4 notes per click. Good time, played with the metronome, thanks.
- Accent the 1st note of every beat.
- Pick/finger using whatever technique you like.
- Hit the notes hard, make 'em pay. Use any tone you like... distorted or clean.
- Keep your videos SHORT and to the POINT.
- Oh yeah, have fun.

Now, in my video you'll notice a couple of hacks and thwaps, a misstep here and there. No sweat. Mistakes will be made, and at the end of the day, it's improvement we are looking for. This provides a starting point. A week from today, lets see if I/we got any tighter/faster. I can't wait to see your video Nick. (And of course, anyone else who participates!) I really can't wait to see what you sound like at this a week after working it.

scottkerrmusic.com/PB-Challenge001-Small.mov

ver1.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

http://www.scottkerrmusic.com
http://www.youtube.com/Scottulus

Last edited Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:40 pm | Scroll up

RE: I DARE ya... DOUBLE dog dare ya... TRIPLE DOG DARE YA!!!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:03 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

This is great!! Challenge accepted.

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:05 pm
by MatGeorge • 90 Posts

This sounds like FUN im in.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:53 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I was not joking when I mentioned that 3x dog daring anyone is considered to be a war crime by the United Nations Counsel of Ethics. I hope your realize the gravity of this....I am in.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:41 pm
by MatGeorge • 90 Posts

Ok this is my start at it. Can't believe how much I open my mouth while playing lmao
All downs 58BPM

All up 50bpm

Alternate 66bpm

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:26 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Mat; great post. I can't wait to see what it's like in a week! I'm interested to see what everyone's thoughts (on how we all do this) are as well.

I mean, when it comes to alternate picking, downstroke is half, and upstroke is the other half. If one of those is a bit weaker, then it stands to reason that you won't be able to really control what you do very well when you alternate pick. Personally, I have found that my upstroke is pretty weak compared to my downstroke.

I have also found that if you are able to increase your tempo even slightly on the separated strokes, your alternate picking improves drastically; Well played Mr Brown, well played.

Power practice tip; If you don't have guitar pro GET IT. It's well worth it, JUST for the 'speed trainer' loop function alone, among other features. If you have the software and you want the Guitar Pro file for this, I'll get it to you, just PM me. Anyways, the ability to increase tempo just by one, and play right along with the notes and a click really make it easier.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

I remember that I used to do these picking exercises everyday for hours. Its been like 6-7 months I stopped. Thank you to Scott for putting this on the forum. This thread will remind me to practice everyday.

I think that I recorded up and down strokes at 70 bpm. Not sure though.

Alternate at 150

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:06 am
by MatGeorge • 90 Posts

Holy crap, nice stuff bro.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:25 am
by MatGeorge • 90 Posts

Ok I was practicing my alternate this morning at 66bpm, for the hell of it I tried to upstrokes. I found doing them at 66bpm less challenging then 50bpm. Should I stay at doing them at 50bpm? Upstrokes are also my weakest.

Last edited Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:30 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:00 am
by MatGeorge • 90 Posts

Nevermind my last post. I just did 50bpm-60bpm all upstrokes. Holy crap I must have been out of it last night,

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:42 am
by MatGeorge • 90 Posts

Ok, I dont know how to delete my post so sorry for the overload of posts.... But I don't want to be "fake" progressing so ill say this is where my start for this challenge is, I already posted the upstrokes at 66bpm so here is downstrokes at 66bpm as well.

And alternate at 72bpm.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:49 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Diego - Nice work! Looking forward to next Saturday's posts! hahaha Nice and relaxed, looks easy as pie!

Mat, none of it is 'fake progressing' rather, it's realizing what you are capable of and documenting your progress over the course of a week. Myself, I can currently do downstrokes at about 96, upstrokes is now the same, and alternate at 208BPM. The isolated "down and up" strokes have really helped. I posted at whatever speed I was comfortable with, and then at the end of the week, I will again post it at whatever speed I am comfortable with. I think that at the end of the day, the gains you make end up being so much more than just speed.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:24 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Ursin vs the Scottulus Challenge
16th note Downstrokes at 90bpm
16th note upstrokes at 80bpm
16th note alternate picking at 160bpm

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:45 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

I have to say; it is REALLY cool to see how each of you guys pick. Ursin, smooth, man. Thanks so much for sharing. Lots to be learned just in watching how you guys play. Awesome!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:05 pm
by MatGeorge • 90 Posts

Yea it is pretty sweet to check out everyone's style... it blows my mind how you guys can pick at those crazy tempo's and be in time! great stuff

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:13 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Fabulous idea Scott. I didn't know how hard we were supposed to push it so I maxed out on upstrokes and downstrokes. Alternate picking I can play this at 200bpm + so I didn't know what to do there.

I practiced this stuff A LOT back in the day. Not so much anymore but it's SO IMPORTANT I cannot stress this enough!!!!

I always wanted to get my upstrokes and downstrokes at 16thnotes 100bpm. Never got there but makes me want to try again.

And yes, Scott is absolutely right. If you can improve the upstroke just a little you will see massive improvement. That's why Pebber breaks the two strokes up with exercises for both and then exercises with alternate.

Anyway, great idea Scott! Thanks!

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:56 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Cool idea Scott. Better think about next week's challenge...

Here's a sloppy 92 bpm. I was too lazy to dial back the metronome a few bpm on the attempts at alternate.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:33 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

And here's my attempt. This is at 65bpm. I was quite surprised to find how much harder the upstrokes are:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:40 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Ahhh dudes! Awesome! Damon, Cliff... Sounds good. I love how different you guys all play.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:02 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Oops, I see that I didn't post the correct exercise. I'll pay more attention next time and will aim for a cleaner attempt as well.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:17 am
by MatGeorge • 90 Posts

yee haha I didn't know if I wasn't hearing it correctly but you weren't doing 4 picks on each note were you? no worries, and nice guitar btw what is that?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:20 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

That one was a Carvin CT624. I also have a FG1 (that John would just die for...) and a strat.

Yeah, I think the exercise is a bit easier playing 4 picks per note, but whatever. I doubt I could have gone much faster. Definitely could have played it cleaner and more in time though as 4 picks really takes the difficulty out of the left hand.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 am
by MatGeorge • 90 Posts

Nice man!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:38 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

i haven't been here for a while. just saw this. definitely participating, maybe tomorrow

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:13 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I really have to THANK all you guys here who have posted. This is exactly my original vision of what I wanted my internet forum to become! A bunch of serious players bouncing and sharing ideas off one another where anyone could join in and post their own version. This is great! I am very pleased with all you guys. Thanks so much for all this!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 297 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: