Page 6 of 9 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next Page »

RE: SAROD

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:33 am
by John567 • 156 Posts

Hey FRaKh, uderoche,

I notice that diraben pinky slips out once in a while when doing sarod. It happens to myself as well. Is this a problem for us? Does the hand have to remain closed?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:20 am
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Its better to keep everything tucked in....that would be the goal.
As far as a problem.....eeeeee......just something to work on.

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:43 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I have questions that I fear may have been overlooked in leu of a crack I took @ flat picking in the "posting" thread. Ok, I repent I now think flat-picking is the best ever...But what I really want to know is how long (time wise), and how many (pound-wise) I should be shooting for when working vibratto muscles with them dumbells. I have an 8, 12, and 15 lb weights...but my aunt can lend me up to 50 lbs. I want to get to a P.B.-esque level of power with sarod. But I dont want to hurt myself...So I feel in need of guidance concerning how hard to push the forearm muscles.

Last edited Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:44 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:12 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Gradually build up to the point of being able to grab two fairly small children (50-70 pounds) by the neck and shake them for a good 30 seconds. Do that maybe 3-4 times a week to build muscle mass. To appropriately pace yourself, start using the children at a very young age. As they grow, they will get heavier thereby increasing the resistance of your workouts.

For stamina, every single day do a complete module 1 workout with the Sarod technique. Everywhere you go bring a pen with you and do with it what Frakh showed us in his videos. Also, do a complete module 2 workout to build the stamina of your fretting hand.

You could also realize your forearm muscles and just muscles and ask google to help you: Search Results

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:05 am

very funny and infomative...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:30 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

LOL
20 pounds is what I use....5 min one hand...switch ect.....
Don't over do the weights because I did that once and screwed up my wrist.....bad idea....
Just enough weight so you can do 5 min and rotate between hands.
1/2 hour at most.

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:37 am
by student • 146 Posts

"Sarod" at 16th notes 100bpm. At 22 seconds I mess up the rhythm a little ( camera hand bumping the string ), but get it back.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:19 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Wait for feedback from the experts, but when I watch this I see the tendon underneath your forearm sticking out pretty clearly and it doesn't seem to rotate at all. Because of that, I'm wondering if you are wrist picking here rather than using the Sarod technique. In Ursin's video, to illustrate the proper movement to us, he shows the movement with the palm facing the ceiling and then rotating to face the floor (and back). Do that movement with a huge exaggeration like that. Then pick also with that crazy exaggeration (super slow; like 1 note every 1 second). Once you have that rotation feeling, shorten the movement.

Heck, maybe you have it here already. Hard for me to tell though.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:11 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Thanks dlraben, nice observation! When I watched those vids of mine, I was only looking at the thumb and noted the following:

1) it does not move forward and back (no scalpel)
2) the metacarpal appears to be moving up and down..aka rotating motion (sarod in my mind)

I do agree that the tendon does not move. I do respect your advice on leaving it up to the experts, regardless doing your recommended solution will not hurt in the meantime !!

Again Thanks!

Last edited Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:17 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:05 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

From this angle in the video, it looks like alternate picking to me and not sarod

Twitter @ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/UrsinDeRoche
YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:32 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Looks like alternate. Sarod motion is like shaking a spoon in a glass of water.
Also the timing at 16th notes at 100 is weak and a little sloppy.
I suggest quarter notes at 208 for a week then eighths at 104 then bring up the speed
from 104 to 110 120 140 160 doing eighth notes.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:45 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Thank you both !

And thanks Pebber for recommending a practice routine for working the timing!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:42 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Yeah...I also didn't see Sarod...

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:57 pm

FrakH!?!?!? Did you escape or did they just release you?!? Ursin said in one of the other threads that you had been involuntarily commited to a loony bin. But I am happy you managed to get outa there.

Last edited Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:58 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey Student, this is a neato little trick that I came up with which eventually helped me to get my very first flutter going: I hope it can do the same for you (-:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFl6bRU3Dxo&feature=youtu.be

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:20 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Thanks for the vid Nicholas, it always helps to see/hear different perspectives on things !

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:21 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Is this sarod? ( no metronome as I am going back to the drawing board for my timing)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:10 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

yeah.....too many trills....

:)

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:33 pm

hey Frakh when you have some time could I get a standard check-up on where I going with this stuff...Things that you notice that I should keep on doing...or things that I should stop doing...or modify slightly...I am already aware that I was not with the metronome because when i felt the two hands startnig to talk to one another I got so excited that I forgot all about the metronome that was going on...My primary objective is to play throught coils like this one crockedfinger guy on youtube who is like one badass guitar picker and I want to learn to play stuff like he can within about 10 months from now...heres where I am as of today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G37FmRPfePw

And thats where I want to be 10 months from now.

Last edited Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:34 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Thanks for the feedback FraKh. Not sure I follow the "too many trills". Confuses me because I thought trills are aka as infinity around here

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:13 pm

I have found out today that when I make the concious effort to hit all my upstrokes with a little extra pow that a cool thing happens once I start fluttering...The pick hand starts a bouncin btw strings and in a very considerate fashion it starts to follow the fret hand accross strings without me having to even ask. Yesterday I thought coilish sarod stuff I saw in FrakH vids was gonna take me @ least next few months or yearsperhaps to figure out but instead it pretty much happened over the course of a 30 mins.

I now desire any and all critique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahAE8QrAecc

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Yea this picking hand is most peculiar all I have is tee is up, intiate a flutter, and then after that pick arm is pretty much limp but by black magic it follows the left hand trills movemets in unison (even going so far as to change strings on its own) if left hand definitely has to some sort of strange physics at play here...the picking even slows or quickens accordingly on its own I response to if i decide to jump to different trill or just decide to slow/speed the current trill for the heck of it. shooting and upload closeups on this bizzare phenomenon even though it was exactly the same as how picking is done in the coil vid i posted above. but should be easier to see it turning into the jumping bean easier in this one. I just hope this new picking thing stays with me permanantly -or at least for a day or two..Lest I forget how to do it over night (-:

Last edited Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:52 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:57 pm

So I gues this it my first hybrid sarod-Mexican Jumping Bean hybrid of the Sarod technique.

your guess is as good as mine to exactly what is causes this to happen...but I suspect that it is the tension of the strings interacting with pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVmGpfoaltM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:58 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 am

Hybrid Mexican Jumping Bean picking!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! Love the name!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:45 am

All right guys here is a live clip (much different dynamic than practicing by yourself) of me going back and forth using sarod and alternate picking:

And here I once again lay down the gauntlet this time to NickJaquet on his Sarod speed playing:

Scroll up

Page 6 of 9 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next Page »

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
439 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia