Page 5 of 9 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next Page »

RE: SAROD

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:15 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Thanks for taking a look. I'll see if I can get a better angle at the weekend.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:17 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Okay, here's a better view:

The first half is how I've been practicing the last couple of weeks. Does this look okay?
Second half is me attempting to keep the same wrist motion, but using the fingers to anchor and dampen. I find it considerably easier to find the balance point like this, but I'm a bit worried it's not quite the correct wrist motion. So, if part 1 is correct, is part 2 also correct? :)

Thanks!
Cliff

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:24 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: Cliff wrote in post #102
Okay, here's a better view:

The first half is how I've been practicing the last couple of weeks. Does this look okay?
Second half is me attempting to keep the same wrist motion, but using the fingers to anchor and dampen. I find it considerably easier to find the balance point like this, but I'm a bit worried it's not quite the correct wrist motion. So, if part 1 is correct, is part 2 also correct? :)

Thanks!
Cliff

No, this isn't correct.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:48 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Really? Damn - I thought I had it this time. I've watched videos of people doing it over and over again. I guess I'm not very body-aware, but I can't tell where I'm going wrong.
Thanks again for taking a look and getting back to me :).

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:05 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:16 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Wow! Thanks so much man! I can't believe you took the trouble to do this for me. I'll definitely be watching this a bunch of times and working things through. You know, my immediate suspicion is that I do it correctly when a) I'm doing it slowly and b) I'm concentrating properly. As soon as I speed up or lose that concentration, I'm back to the old technique (or a variation of it).

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:08 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

I don't post lessons on youtube but anything I can do to help out the forum members I will. Just let me know guys.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:22 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

I think I remember Pebber stated that he trained in the martial arts when he was younger. Could this be a clue to something?

......Is Sarod a secret Kung Fu technique? Maybe....

Sarod = Twisting Tiger's Paw

Maybe......

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:50 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Nah man, it's how Indian classical musicians pick. That's all. McLaughlin used it on guitar and showed it to Pebber.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:28 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I have noticed two kinds of flutter that I have been able to conjure thusfar, I am wondering what people's thoughts are on each [maybe one is a more pure Sarod] ...A.) the one I got at most recently---->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZiZB8ewWzA.

And B.) the one that was just slightly less recently (skip to 3:20-ish for the what I am specifically talking bout---->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHb8u2QoP0

My thoughts are as follows:

Sarod A

-Sounds alot
like EVH's
Hummingbird
style picking

-no decay

-peaks @ 6uplets
approx 120 B.P.M.

Sarod B
-Sounds like popcorn in microwave (which I dig)

-is difficult to maintain indefinitely
(I have not found a reliable way around this spicattos quick decay)
-offers moments for a short period of time where there is alot more
than 6-uplets @ 120 B.P.M going on....

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:57 am
by student • 146 Posts

first don't listen to me seriously as I am not nearly as skilled at sarod as you or overall musically for that matter.

it appears you are doing sarod in both vids and you are judging whether it is sarod based on what it sounds like.
to me sarod is the motion, if you are rotating your wrist then you are saroding.

lastly I will say in your first vid, it looks great. I like how you moved up the string, very fluid!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:06 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: NicholasJacquet wrote in post #110
I have noticed two kinds of flutter that I have been able to conjure thusfar, I am wondering what people's thoughts are on each [maybe one is a more pure Sarod] ...A.) the one I got at most recently---->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZiZB8ewWzA.

And B.) the one that was just slightly less recently (skip to 3:20-ish for the what I am specifically talking bout---->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhHb8u2QoP0

My thoughts are as follows:

Sarod A

-Sounds alot
like EVH's
Hummingbird
style picking

-no decay

-peaks @ 6uplets
approx 120 B.P.M.

Sarod B
-Sounds like popcorn in microwave (which I dig)

-is difficult to maintain indefinitely
(I have not found a reliable way around this spicattos quick decay)
-offers moments for a short period of time where there is alot more
than 6-uplets @ 120 B.P.M going on....

Looks good dude! You have the motion correct. Next step is to practice it more and be able to keep it going on one string.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:54 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:03 pm

I am jealous of your picking technique (-:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:24 pm

If I can get my Sarod Chops up to par with you, I think we should start a online Saroding Mariachi Group (-:

I am a bit leeary of letting Frakh and/or Pebber in the band though, because their Sarod is too fast.

Last edited Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:34 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:49 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Given how easy it is to share & overdub audio files these days, I'm surprised this crowd hasn't already started up a web-band...

Thanks for the kind words Nick. I'm jealous of many things that many people on these boards can do. That makes me practice even more.

Last edited Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:50 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:53 pm

I could whip up some ballin three voice counter point for sarod style playing...Frakh could play the bass voice and Pebber could Sarod the other two...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: dlraben wrote in post #113
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Nice bro! You are definitely on the right track!

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:50 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Damon more important is does it feel at all natural yet or is it still awkward?
Sarod should be free and loose and natural and floating but the awkward stage presents itself
for many people for a long time.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:19 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Yeah, Sarod is feeling pretty natural to me now but I find that I can't do it well until I've really warmed up. It's evident I need to spend a lot more time with my left hand though because I can't get it to keep up unless I double/triple pick. Used to be that I couldn't pick fast enough. Time to get back into daily trills...

Scalpal feels really natural too and I feel like I'm in the most control when I use that technique. Actually, wrist picking feels the least natural for me now.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 20, 2013 9:30 pm

Clocked the flutter @ 16ths 220 B.P.M. Today, not really sure what caused it. But it was a welcome surprise during my little 0-4-7 & 0-5-8 neoclassical pedal exercises (-:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

You guys are getting it!
Goodt!
Alternate pick across 2 strings.....then 4 strings....then 6.
Then Alternate pick across Well...1 string lol...then 3...then 5.
The natural feel will be present when you practice this way.....and there is a different "feel" when you do this.
Kinda like playing a 2 note per string pattern vs a 3 note per string pattern using the Sarod Hybrid. Get to know the differences and then after months...blend them together.
You guys have the motion. Now its time to apply it to alt picking across the strings.
Don't forget about "Marker Notes" this will help in the scalpel part of the hybrid. They keep you on track.

Very goodt..

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:30 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Been practicing sarod a lot this past week, now all my warmups are strictly sarod no scalpel at all anymore. I am at 16th notes 108 bpm in scalpel which is way more than I need right now. I gotta get my left hand caught up and wanted to learn all the string skipping and ease sarod has to offer.

"Sarod" at 16th notes 80 bpm

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:58 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

Hey diraben,

I think I'm seeing the pinking stick out a bit. I'm not too sure if that's allowed with sarod. Should it be a lose fist or a tighter grip with all the fingers in? I try to keep mine in but every now and then my pinky slips out too. Again, I'm not sure if this is a big problem....

John

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:29 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

John, I have to defer you to the experts since I'm still trying to learn the technique myself. I just try to keep my picking hand as loose as possible, so sure, I wouldn't doubt that my pinky sticks out now and then. I think the only rule I've heard is that it's got to be loose, relaxed and floating with no tension.

Scroll up

Page 5 of 9 « previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next Page »

Visitors
0 Members and 16 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 478 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly