RE: SAROD

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:38 am
by andygelband • 11 Posts

Hi there,

Sarod newbie here.....30 years of playing guitar....never happy with my alternate picking speed. I play and have played everything from funk and reggae to jazzy/latin and all kinds of rock genres. My main thing at the moment is an original prog rock band and my right hand technique is limiting me in creating some of the riffs / song ideas that are stuck in my head!

I've studied PB's videos and am trying to cultivate this new technique. I'm just doing a little a day as I want to keep relaxed, keep it fresh and hope it just 'clicks'.

A couple of observations that I hope you guys can assist me with:

1. When I alternate pick I tend to use the 3rd or 4th finger of the right hand as a guide resting lightly on the guitar. When I try Sarod, I don't do this but find it helps letting those same fingers that are now curled under 'brush' the face of the guitar to help guide/position the right hand? Is this ok? I appreciate there is a fine line between a person's natural way of doing things and contradicting perhaps how a technique is supposed to work.

2. Swan wrist....I tend to do this but am trying to keep the hand as flat as possible for fear of introducing unnecessary tension or damaging the wrist by locking it.....am I worry about nothing?

3. Finally, on a more positive note, when the Sarod thing is getting there, and I'm picking faster than I normally would, I notice that my alternate picking is better to. I attribute this to both the psychological aspects and relaxation. I read somewhere how a tense left hand could lead to a tense right hand and vice versa....and this makes a lot of sense.

Anyhow, good to meet you all, hope to chat more soon

Thanks,
Andy

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:32 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

1. used to stick the pinky on the guard took a while to change floating is what you want brushing the guitar with your hand i'm not sure but would try to avoid it.
2. i don't really have this my hand sits pretty low which is handy for muting with sarod. think it shows the sarod technique pretty well though
3. any tension is bad loose right hand light touch left hand,(oppisite for lefties) how long you been at the sarod start it real slow

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:05 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: andygelband wrote in post #201

1. When I alternate pick I tend to use the 3rd or 4th finger of the right hand as a guide resting lightly on the guitar. When I try Sarod, I don't do this but find it helps letting those same fingers that are now curled under 'brush' the face of the guitar to help guide/position the right hand? Is this ok? I appreciate there is a fine line between a person's natural way of doing things and contradicting perhaps how a technique is supposed to work.

Don't put your pick hand fingers on the guitar. Don't "brush" the guitar with the pick hand fingers. Keep them out of the way.

2. Swan wrist....I tend to do this but am trying to keep the hand as flat as possible for fear of introducing unnecessary tension or damaging the wrist by locking it.....am I worry about nothing?

Only you know your body's ability. If you feel you are hurting something in your wrist, stop immediately.

3. Finally, on a more positive note, when the Sarod thing is getting there, and I'm picking faster than I normally would, I notice that my alternate picking is better to. I attribute this to both the psychological aspects and relaxation. I read somewhere how a tense left hand could lead to a tense right hand and vice versa....and this makes a lot of sense.

Any sort of tension in the hands, wrists, arms, fingers, etc is an enemy

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:18 am

Ok - thanks for the info. I know this sounds like a stupid question.....but how do you position your hand correctly.....I guess it's just practice but as I've always pivotted to pick, finding the string with a floating hand is going to be a particular challenge.

I guess the motion (in its broadest context) is more akin to strumming.....I guess what I'm trying to say (badly) is that I strum, accurately and with the dynamics I choose, without pivotting.....so I just have to get used to it.

When doing the motion I feel some lactic acid in the forearm muscles....googling it looks like the brachioradialis....which is the one that helps twist the forearm so that makes sense. I assume that so long as I take regular breaks, the muscles will become conditioned to the movement and so the discomfort will go away along with the tension?

Last edited Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:20 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:47 am

Quote: pebberbrown wrote in post #151
Heres a guy doing Van Halen Style tremolo picking which is almost IDENTICAL in every way to Sarod picking except these Van Halen guys are only doing it on single string - never any scales or multiple strings. But the motion is the same - this is good footage and this guy has it down (on one string). Eddie footage is all over YouTube and I dont have time to sift through the mass amount of it to find the passages where he does the tremolo picking but its there if anyone wants to spend the time looking for it.

Here you go sir.....I'm a complete noob to Sarod but there is a lovely moment around 1:20 where he changes from standard picking to Sarod style.....what do you think?

EVH Sarod at 1:20 on....

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:15 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: andygelband wrote in post #204
Ok - thanks for the info. I know this sounds like a stupid question.....but how do you position your hand correctly.....I guess it's just practice but as I've always pivotted to pick, finding the string with a floating hand is going to be a particular challenge.

The floating hand is a challenge but it will come around with much practice. Actually, the floating of the hand is a huge part of it...along with the actual twisting motion.

I guess the motion (in its broadest context) is more akin to strumming.....I guess what I'm trying to say (badly) is that I strum, accurately and with the dynamics I choose, without pivotting.....so I just have to get used to it.

When doing the motion I feel some lactic acid in the forearm muscles....googling it looks like the brachioradialis....which is the one that helps twist the forearm so that makes sense. I assume that so long as I take regular breaks, the muscles will become conditioned to the movement and so the discomfort will go away along with the tension?

Yes, the burning sensation in the forearm muscles is normal and will go away after much repetition. There are lots of videos on youtube by Pebber and Frakh dealing with sarod. I would investigate these. Using a small weight or a heavy book to help build the forearm muscles has been suggested and works very well. But again, know your limits and don't hurt yourself.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:17 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Yeah, this is it. But Edward did it on only one string.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:32 am

Quote: uderoche wrote in post #206
Quote: andygelband wrote in post #204

The floating hand is a challenge but it will come around with much practice. Actually, the floating of the hand is a huge part of it...along with the actual twisting motion.

Yes, the burning sensation in the forearm muscles is normal and will go away after much repetition. There are lots of videos on youtube by Pebber and Frakh dealing with sarod. I would investigate these. Using a small weight or a heavy book to help build the forearm muscles has been suggested and works very well. But again, know your limits and don't hurt yourself.

This is gonna be a game changer :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:28 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Ditto...

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:20 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

With Sarod The strings are like Mashed Potatoes...to get things started grab yerself a pick and start stiring em

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:13 am
by Funk Monk • 9 Posts

Quote: NicholasJacquet wrote in post #210
With Sarod The strings are like Mashed Potatoes...to get things started grab yerself a pick and start stiring em

Genius.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:24 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Mashed Potatoes are too thick. I use an analogy of a stirring a spoon in a glass of water. Lots and lots of guys lately have a horrible terrible hard time getting the motion down. Its not that hard to figure out really. Just shake the pick by fluttering your wrist back and forth and do it away from the string. I get guys all the time who say "I can do it away from the string but when I hit the string I cant do it." Yeah well put in a few hundred hours before you start complaining!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:02 pm

few hundred hours? thats childsplay...If thats true, I should have started complaing and making a fuss about this whole sarod thing about one week after i first started working on it (-:

Last edited Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:04 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Sarod just keeps getting more and more fun! I just cannot wait to see where it will lead me 10 years from now (-:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:29 pm

I is inching my way closer to my dream of bucket sarod tehehehehe...one of these days it will all lock into place and then I wonder what will be left for me to legato.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:56 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Way...WAY to stiff armed.........

Wear a short sleeved shirt so the forearm is exposed...

FRaKh

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:27 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

I found a couple of videos on Sarod and thought would be cool to share on here. The name "Sarod Picking" probably came from this instrument called Sarod.

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:19 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Thanks for sharing this very interesting video!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:41 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Sounded great....my video card sucks!
I couldnt see anything...lol!

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:20 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Where everyone go???
Everyone shred by now...yes?

Rudolf Smuntz
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 23, 2016 7:42 pm
by christopher • 9 Posts

I made a short video of myself doing scalpel picking and then sarod picking. Any feedback would be welcome.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 199 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: