How long should I practice

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:56 am
by iskamdasamdobar • 1 Post

So I've been playing for almost a year now ( and by playing I mean knowing mainly some riffs and licks ). But I found about PB around a month ago. As I've been wanting to get good and play fast I realized that I need to practice. So the question was - " What should I practice?". When I found about Pebber and his 7 module practise shedule, I said to myself " this is it,man I know what to practice". So I decided that I will practice 4 hours a day. But here's the problem. I started wondering if I should do every exercise of each module every day, or should I practise different things from each module every day ( couse if I did each ecercise from each module every day than there's really small amount of time for each exercise ) . And my other question is - is my level high enough to practice all modules,or should I stick to the first and second module at first. For now I pracice 10 min down strokes, 10 min up strokes and 10 min alternate picking. Then I do the PIMA exercises ( or the adj and non adj strings exercises, I do one of these two every day ) and that's it for the right hand. So module 1 is done. Then I do the chromatic form all over the neck ( without picking, just making the shape all over the neck on all stings) and the spider exercises ( without and with picking ) for about 20 minutes. Then I do the triills for about 20 more minutes. So since half of module 1 and not even 1/4 of module 2 take me about 2 hours ( which is half of my time for the 7 modules) I don't know if I should get more time so I could practice everything for a solid amount of time, or should I just practice 2 3 things from each module every day ( so I have more time). An Answer would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll up

RE: How long should I practice

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:07 pm
by Roger75 • 21 Posts

You can't do every exercise every day, there is simply not enough time for that. If you have 4 hours a day split that up between the 7 modules, that's about 30-35 minutes per module.
Then I would select 2 or three exercises from the module and spend 10-15 minutes on a exercise. Of cause you can also select just one exercise and do that for 30 minutes.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:23 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello iskamdasamdobar!!

My name is Adam Steinz, and I am an Associate Instructor & Forum Administrator. This is a very common, GREAT question, and the answer is more simple than you may think:

As long as you can practice at least 10-15 minutes EVERY DAY, you will continue to progress. Obviously, it is better to practice for as long as you can EVERY DAY, but the important thing to remember is that it is much better to practice 10-15 minutes every day, as opposed to playing 12 hours once-a-week.

Remember: There is NO "graduation" from playing a musical instrument. The amount of practice consistency is more important than the total amount of practice time.

Hope this helps, and thank you again for asking this question!!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!

Sincerely,
~Adam

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:05 am
by adto • 12 Posts

Hi~

I am super new, but to put into perspective what I have been doing during a 2 hour-ish practice session:

For warmup I spend 10 minutes stretching and 20 minutes doing all sorts of stuff I am already comfy with (upstroke, downstroke, alternate, maybe a chord or scale or two) at a comfortable pace while simultaneously watching videos on music theory/blues/whatever doesn't actually require playing along. I just stretch until the video is over. Sometimes I set the speed to 1.5x if it is something I am just reviewing and I am anxious to get started.

30 minutes 1 string exercise. 10 of that no metronome; just getting the hand warmed up all over every string. After that turn on the clicker and work on timing from 1note per beat and crawling up, stopping to focus on the tough ones. Turn up the metronome when you feel you are flawless, jut one or two bpm, or if you are like me and using standard metronome ratios, one click up might take you up in 4bpm bump. I usually stick to a single string for the entire exercise, and I pick it on a whim. Most of the time I leave my frethand in my pocket, but sometimes I will pick a random key and scale (that I kind of know) and mess around with it while I pick.

30 minutes adjacent strings. Same rules as above. This way I cover two subjects in module 1. I may trade out 1 string or adj strings for non-adj once I feel more comfortable (whatever that means lol). I have been using the pentatonic forms for this currently, but if i am trying to get my picking speed and timing down more than anything, I wont bother with the fret hand and just put it in my pocket.

10 minutes classical form at a very slow tempo. I know I should do more but it just isn't my current focus. maybe next month.

30 minutes spiders. I have only been working on the first three permutations since that is all Pebber has shown so far and I didn't want to get too far ahead. I do not go faster on one spider than any of the others. for example. if I can get 5.21 and 5.22 to 70 bpm @ 16th notes but only get 5.23 to 66bpm with 16th notes, I will only work on 5.23 until it is caught up. I hope that made sense.

After that, I noodle around a little as a reward if I have any extra spare time. I either mess around til I play something that sounds familiar and explore that, or maybe look up tabs, or if I am feeling especially motivated go back and work on more exercises.

For the entire session I choose only one picking style to focus on, and currently I have been really trying to hammer down scalpel. I will probably continue to do so for a long time as I slowly introduce sarod for the faster rates.

Although I am new and don't have too many exercises to choose from yet, I think the main Idea is to pick a couple stretch goals from each module and hammer them down with extreme focus for a couple weeks, splitting up your time (equally?) between each module. I do 15 days so that way I can set semi-monthly goals for myself.

Hope my rambling helps :) Cheers!

Last edited Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:08 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:11 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Practice 1 hr in each module every day. Then take a 10 minute break and repeat that again.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 297 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly