Intro post and some exercise videos

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:14 pm
by adto • 12 Posts

Hi all, happy to be here.

My name is Adrian, I've been at this just a couple months. Before that I was one of those directionless self-"learners" and honestly during that time I didn't learn crap except maybe I was able to get over the hump of the instrument being comfortable to hold. This was ~6months long. I never worked on timing, didn't own a metronome. Just open cowboy chords and one minor pentatonic shape (you know the one).

Signed up mid October. I put in ~2 hrs a day, weekends more, although admittedly I am still bad at focusing and end up doing unproductive things like practicing things I already know or just messing around, especially during long sessions. Here are some videos of my current skill level:

5.23 @ 50 bpm

First few spiders are now at 66bpm 1/16th notes, I recorded these @50. I haven't seriously attempted anything past 5.23. It was like rewiring my brain trying to get my fingers to move like this at even snail pace.

1-9 notes per 2 beats @ 100 bpm

After submitting this video to Pebber, one response was that I was asked to hold off on 7's until I watch and master doing quarter notes to seven. Anyone know where I can find that, on Youtube? Or is it something to come in a monthly lesson video? And finally, something I just did today, is attempt sarod:

My wrist slowly locks up as strumming goes on, I can feel it and try to relax it every few seconds or whenever I notice. I feel that I might at least be getting the "stirring" motion with my thumb and finger 1 down okay, maybe not tho.

I know I could definitely be farther than I am after 2 months. I just gotta get a grip on my focus. Any tips? I bought a standalone metronome so I can ditch my phone and the distractions that come with it. That helped. Still get sidetracked noodling or with other things around me.

Looking forward to your responses. Thanks in advance.

Adrian

Scroll up

RE: Intro post and some exercise videos

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:07 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello and Welcome, Adrian!!

My name is Adam Steinz, and I am an Associate Instructor and an Administrator on the Pebber Brown Forum. Thank you so much for sharing your video! As I mentioned in my email response to you, students who post their videos here have a much greater chance of getting a response from Pebber, myself, and some of his more dedicated students. We are all here to help each other, and I think you will find the atmosphere encouraging!

I apologize for the delay in responding, but I would like to comment on each video, along with some general thoughts. You've got a great attitude and excellent attention to detail. It's refreshing to see the proper use of a metronome, as well. Let's review some other particulars:

1) VIDEO LENGTH & NUMBER OF VIDEOS: This is almost always an issue for new students. (My first video to Pebber was 10 MINUTES long!!). However, in order to get a better understanding of your progress, Pebber and I recommend performing each exercise for at least 60 seconds, and combining 2-3 techniques per video. Ideally, videos should be 2-3 minutes long. Again, posting videos in the Forum is much better than emailing them directly to us.

2) SAROD PICKING/SCALPEL PICKING: Technique looks really good, but again, this is based on a 36-second video. It WILL take time for this technique to improve. It took me 6 months before I felt comfortable utilizing Sarod and Scalpel Picking into my on-stage playing. I still practice this every day! Your Scalpel Picking is excellent throughout...You just need to work on your timing (I will address this below).

3) SPIDERS/PERMUTATIONS: Looks really good, including your timing!!

4) PER 2 BEATS 1-9 @ 100 BPM: Even though this requires use of the picking hand only, try to hold the guitar properly (don't grab the bottom of it like you do at the 40-second mark). Also, it is a little difficult to decipher the quarter notes, as if you were trying to pack in all the goodness at once. This will improve with practice, so I would love to see you re-visit this in January!!

5) PER 1 NOTE @ 50 BPM: Up until you were playing 7's, this was near flawless!! However, things were a little choppy with your 7's and your 9's...Again, this will improve with practice!!

I appreciate you taking the time to read my comments, and I hope you get something good from them. Remember, we are all here to help each other. There is no "graduation" from learning a musical instrument. Thank you again, and keep up the GREAT WORK, Adrian!!

Sincerely,
~Adam Steinz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:42 am
by adto • 12 Posts

Thanks for the feedback @Adam ! Much appreciated, I will take it all into consideration during my practice routine. Unfortunately I am away from my instrument for the holidays, so I am taking this time to get as much music theory down as I can, while working on stretching and mobility of my hands and wrist. I will be home Jan 4 and will get right back at it.

Do you happen to know where I can get the video for the 7's that @pebberbrown was talking about? I would really like to get back to that once I'm home.

Also, is it sacrilege to look ahead a little bit into module 3/4? maybe dig through the free lessons on YT to learn about some scales, chords, or something? I got the 5 pentatonic forms down now, I'm not terribly fast at them but I (think I) am ready to add more. I also understand the main open shapes and how they correspond to bar chords, but not all of the dots are connected quite yet I think.

thanks!

Adrian

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:07 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

DONT pick directly above the pickups. It can make a click sound that makes recording engineers very angry.
Your Sarod angle is a bit off - there is no rotation or circular motion as in circle picking ideas from the 1970's
also make sure that your volume on each video is consistent. Dont let it be so quiet that we can
barely hear it.

Last edited Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:08 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:47 pm
by adto • 12 Posts

Thanks for the feedback:) I didnt know about the picking over a pickup but now thinking about it, it makes sense.

I think from now on I will plug my amp into garageband and sync the audio to video in final cut or something. Hopefully it will up the volume a bit. Unfortunately I live in a tiny paper-walled apartment and anything above volume level 0.003 will get my neighbors kinda pissy.

thanks again Pebber, have a happy new year.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:13 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello adto!!

The issues that Pebber pointed out do not have anything to do with your recording equipment and/or your recording techniques. These issues stem from your playing technique. I hope this clears up any confusion.

As far as Pebber demonstrating/playing 7's, I would suggest starting with his "TIMING Basics" videos. Regardless of being able to accurately play 5's, 7's, etc., Pebber demonstrates one of the most difficult techniques: Playing ONE NOTE exactly on the "click," so that you do not even hear the "click" of the metronome.

Finally, I think it is great that you want to skip ahead and check out Pebber's other YouTube videos...In fact, I watched HUNDREDS of Pebber's vids back in 2009 and early 2010 before I ever contacted Pebber directly!! That is what the videos are for, so we definitely encourage you to check out as much as you like.

Having said this, Pebber does not (and will not) send any out-of-sequence videos to any of his students. Pebber sends videos based on each student's performance and technique (which is why he recommends one student video per month).

Thanks again for your enthusiastic approach, and best wishes in the New Year!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:16 am
by adto • 12 Posts

Ah, I get it now, thank Adam!

Adrian
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
217 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly