Faz - Video Showing My Technique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:26 pm
by Faz • 9 Posts

Hey guys,

I've been reading the threads and comments for a week or so now, great little community here :)

Realising the great response jimiclaptoncarl got from his video, I thought why not! I'll upload one too since I could definitely do with some pointers!

Hopefully I didn't fail with my first forum post -_-

Cheers guys!

Scroll up

RE: Faz - Video Showing My Technique

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:06 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Welcome Faz!

Your video looks and sounds great. You played the scales cleanly and it looked like your hands were in nice form.

I'm not going to comment on your picking technique, as I have hardly practiced it at all(been focusing on my left hand), but I will say: I think it looks like how Pebber does it in his vids. :)

Again, nice job, and hope to see you around the forum!

(Non-guitar comment) What did you use to record? And did you use Windows Movie Maker or something else?

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl

Last edited Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:08 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:36 am
by Faz • 9 Posts

Thanks for the kind words :)

Ha I'm the other way round! I've been practicing the right hand drills for about 2/3 weeks now, 2 hours a day of just the first module o_O

Looking at these videos I've noticed some things that could be improved, that damn swan wrist! I can keep my wrist pretty straight with my forearm when I'm on the top 3 strings, but when going to the bottom three the wrist curves and after playing for a while it really hurts haha I can keep my wrist straight on the bottom three if I move my thumb horizontally (so my thumb makes me look like I'm hitch-hiking) but I'm sure that's BAD!

For the right hand on the bottom three strings I could slightly flatten the pick since it kinda sounds scratchy

Perhaps you could give me some tips on the left hand? Your technique is looking good from your video.

Oh, and about the recording! I used a Logitech HD Webcam C270, cost me £25 and it lets me zoom in onto my hand without looking grainy and there's a feature on the cam' where it can follow my left hand (pretty cool)

For the sound, I used a Zoom g2.1u guitar pedal on a clean setting which is plugged directly into my audio interface (PreSonus Audiobox Usb cost me £150)

For the editing, I used a simple (free) program called Magix which works directly with my webcam.

This post is VERY long!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:11 am

Zitat von Faz
Perhaps you could give me some tips on the left hand? Your technique is looking good from your video.

Well, I'll let Pebber explain it for me, he does a much better job. ;)

Watch this Pebber video on left hand technique:

I suggest watching the entire video, but around 1:30 he addresses your question.

Zitat von Faz
This post is VERY long!!

I like long posts! :D

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

MY GEAR:
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl

Last edited Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:24 am
by Faz • 9 Posts

Cheers mate, I've seen this video several times ha

Think I may have a solution to my problem, I'll put a video up within the next hour or so showing you what I mean rather than writing it ha

Cheers for the help so far!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:53 am
by Faz • 9 Posts

Here's the video :) I've shown the way I practice normally (thumb behind the middle finger with my stupid-ass Swan wrist) from front and back. Also, shown you a method I found today from re-watching that Pebber video about keeping the wrist straight (or in my case, as straight as I can get it) by having the thumb to the side slightly (hitch-hiker) ha

Cheers :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:34 pm

I don't think it looks bad, but if it hurts, you must change something...which of the ways you showed in the video hurts?

Pebber or some of the other guys will help you more than me.

MY GEAR:
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:39 pm
by Faz • 9 Posts

Having the thumb behind the middle finger is the one that hurts. The hitchhiker (where I have my thumb at kinda 45 degree angle, it's not completely horizontal now that I look at it haha) is very comfortable.

Thanks for advice so far jimiclaptoncarl its much appreciated

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:08 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Hey Faz. Cool guitar. Welcome to the forums.

I would suggest raising the guitar up higher either by pulling the neck up closer to you or by changing your strap height...or both. The reason your wrist is in a weird position is because of the way you are holding the guitar.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:28 am
by Faz • 9 Posts

Ah that solves it!

Thanks a lot Uderoche :)

The guitar is an Ibanez Saber (S Series as they're now known) and it's a year older than me! :D 1988

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:41 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Looks like you are definately on the right track! Just keep on practicing just like that. You will see excellent results within only 20 years.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:15 pm
by deadcrustpunk • 9 Posts

dude, way to go!!! awesome videos!!!! if i were to do this i would REFUSE to show my face as it would come out messed up everytime!

are you REALLY justified in having NOTHING to say???

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:40 am
by Faz • 9 Posts

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys :)

Ha I know I didn't want to show my face but I wanted to get the video on the forum ASAP, so I couldn't be bothered trying to find the right angle to show the back of my neck minus the face haha

I had a friend of a friend over today who was apparently a "great guitar player" and he shredded my ass off, but all I could think of when he was playing was "you're playing the pads on all fingers!" "tea drinking pinky!" "Walrus Flapper" I swear he was doing EVERY image on the bad technique page on Pebber's website ha

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
531 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly