Learning The Fretboard

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:49 am
by PebberpPowerpPro

So I've noticed actually knowing the notes on the friggin fretboard is a big help when playing guitar. Tried some crappy computer programs which didn't help at all, now I'm just using pen and paper and memory cards. Anyone got any other ideas on how it should be learnt?

Scroll up

RE: Learning The Fretboard

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 am
by Adam (deleted)

I'm sure this is not Pebber, but whoever it is:

God Bless You.

I say, that IS the way to do it! NOTHING beats good Old Fashioned PAPER and a PROPER WRITING UTENSIL.

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS--Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:00 am
by PebberpPowerpPro

lol I WISH I was Pebber Brown, I can only try my best and imitate his every move.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:17 am
by Adam (deleted)

I was referring to your username, "PebberpPowerpPro." Is that what shows up when someone logs in as a "Guest?"

Are you a Student of Pebber's? Why not create an Account and DIVE right in! The water is FINE!

Honestly, your Topic is a GREAT one, and you are TOTALLY IN THE RIGHT PLACE!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:37 am
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

Cool, thanks for the welcome, but sadly I'm not one of Pebber's students, at least not a paying one. His youtube videos have been a revelation to me, and this forum looks pretty awesome too.

So, anyone with ideas for learning the fretboard? At the moment I'm just learning string by string and its feeling a bit stale.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:12 am
by Adam (deleted)

I'll tell ya: I watched ALL of Pebber's YouTube Videos (the 1st time through 'em, that is) for about NINE MONTHS before signing up with him! I KNOW there is enough information there, to keep one busy for YEARS, so you are, again, IN THE RIGHT PLACE!

Stick around! You seem like a dedicated person, and this IS the place for you!

Now, I think Pebber, FraKh, Ursin, Blayze and some others here will agree with what I am about to say:

I don't know if you thought I was joking, or if you just did not like my answer, BUT,,,,,,,

You want to learn the notes? Then LEARN THEM! I told you, Paper and a Proper Writing Utensil work WONDERS! There is NO "easy fix" for this, or ANY, guitar-related task worth learning.

Like the famous Slogan says: "JUST DO IT." (Fellas, correct me, if I'm wrong!)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:22 am
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

No problem with the method Adam, just the application. Pebber on youtube has outlined a ridiculous amount of ways to learn and memorise scales, usually from a pretty unique angle. I'm just searching for more ideas on this subject, anything that will help me become a more proficient guitar player.

But you're quite right, nothing will get done unless you DO IT.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:02 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Adam is 100% correct.

I would also like to add that, when people ask me about this I always tell them, the notes are in alphabetical order.

So, starting on the E string it's E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B, C etc etc etc

I would take one string at a time and right down all the notes on every fret. Then, go through and say them out loud to yourself as you play them.

Another key is, notice the octaves. There is an E notes on the 7th fret of the A string and there is also an E note on the 9th fret of the G string.

So, lots of beginners know about E on the 7th fret A string but if you point to 9th fret G string they don't know! It's the same note. So, be mindful of the octaves.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:53 am
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Here's something I've learned from Carl Verheyen's book, but I've seen this also in Joe Satriani's book as well as ... Carl does this for his warmup, but he also says it's a great way to learn the notes on the fretboard.

"1) Pick any note on the low E string and play it once. For this example let's make it a G on the 3rd fret.

2) Next, as quickly as you can, follow that note with a G on the 5th string. The postition change has you jump up to the 10th fret.

3) Follow that with another G on the 4th string. You'll need to slide back down to the 5th fret.

4) Next, play the G on the 3rd string. Avoiding open strings will necessitate a jump to the 12th fret.

5) Then play the G on the 2nd string; it's on the 8th fret,

6) Finally, play the G on the 1st string. You can get the one on the 3rd ofr 15th fret, or play them both as I often do.

7) Now that you've finished with G, start the whole thing over again using a different note, like Bb. Go through all 12 keys playing one pitch of the designated note on each string. Remember to do them as fast as you can.

Now here's where it gets interesting for all you pros out there. Do the exercise exactly as I described it, except without looking at the guitar. You should be able to play the six notes as 8th notes at 84bpm when you are looking at the neck. Try to build up to that speed when you're not. As a variation, go from low to high strings and then back down.

There is no exercise I know of that gets me in tune with the instrument faster or more effectively. You are instantly alerted to scale length and right-hand string spacing as well. I believe that's half the battle, knowing instinctively where everything is. And all you guys who aren't quite sure of the notes on the fingerboard above the 5th fret will get over that problem in a hurry. So there's something here for all levels of development. Good luck and stay warmed up!"

Hope this helps!

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl

Last edited Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:20 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:11 pm
by Adam (deleted)

A-HA!!! The "Pink Elephant in the room" has been addressed!

....and yeah, the Octave Thing Ursin mentioned.

If you need a BOOK to tell you how to learn the notes, you are making it WAY TOO hard on yourself (and wasting valuable PRACTICE time). Pick up the guitar. The OPEN NOTE on the FATTEST STRING is E....now GO.

Last edited Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:24 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:21 pm
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

Soz Pebber, but how does one change a username?

And thats a pretty good idea jimiclaptoncarl, i'll give it a try, thanks!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:24 pm
by robmurtha • 94 Posts

hey jimclaptoncarl I like this got it down at 84 bpm no looking

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:22 pm
by No name specified • ( Guest )

"And thats a pretty good idea jimiclaptoncarl, i'll give it a try, thanks!"

Hey, all credit goes to Carl, I didn't think this up... :)

"hey jimclaptoncarl I like this got it down at 84 bpm no looking"

Dang, man, you got your stuff together! nice! I'm still working on this though, I can do it like at 90bpm when I'm looking but I'm at around 65-67bpm no looking... :P

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:24 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Craaap, that was me,,, forgot to log in AGAIN!

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl et's face it, You suck; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:39 pm
by robmurtha • 94 Posts

In one of Pebber's videos he teaches how to use octaves to fill out the fretboard diagram and then complete the diatonic scales from there, I can't remember which one though, this is a great system.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 pm
by tplu7234 • 39 Posts

This is Pebber's video on using octave shapes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5HjrjTXIi8

And here's another one which is pretty similar to jimiclaptoncarl's idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzB2_O8GGM

Trying both right now, its a pretty solid workout.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:38 am
by hudsontoronto • 79 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL5NoT7yOjk

copy and paste this video it is the best tool to learn the fretboard, you can do it with nay scale that you want to learn, it really works.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:06 am
by Lash • 7 Posts

A big thank you to jimiclaptoncarl.I think i'll be busy with that for a while. What I doing till now was I learnt all the names notes on the dotted frets and filled in the rest mentally. I think you're method is better

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:02 am
by Stanimal • 2 Posts

Start reading and writing music in standard notation... this is the best and most productive way to learn the fretboard.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
44 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 107) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly