RE: Sweep Picking Thread

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:05 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Doh! Oh well, I can order some more if I get on with the first batch.

Here's my latest attempt at the 2-string sweeps. I've been trying to have a smooth a transition from the lowest swept note to the higher one, not always successfully. Please let me know what you think:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:30 am
by uderoche (deleted)

2 string sweep solo examples in a rock context.

Zakk Wylde

Yngwie Malmsteen

Twitter @ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/UrsinDeRoche
YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:36 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Crazy! I was gonna mention both of those! Rising Force is an excellent start, so is the Miracle Man bit! Lol great stuff, I love watching Yngwie play, bloody effortless for the guy.thanks for sharing!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Quote: Cliff wrote in post #51
Doh! Oh well, I can order some more if I get on with the first batch.

Here's my latest attempt at the 2-string sweeps. I've been trying to have a smooth a transition from the lowest swept note to the higher one, not always successfully. Please let me know what you think:

Doing awesome, man!
Cliff, I think it is now time to go learn 'Rising Force' by Uncle Yngwie, and keep working it until you can play with the recording. You have the tech pretty much down, time to go learn some music and get down to rocking! Please post it so we can see it, and learn from your post? Thanks for posting, man!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:06 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Hey Scott

Thanks for watching and for the comments :). You're very kind, but it still sounds pretty ropey to me. Still hammering away at it. I'll definitely take a look at the Yngwie piece, though - always worth remembering that the goal is to make some music.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:09 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

So, I first read that challenge and laughed. Then I started practicing and thought I'd download the tab to see how far off I am. And, yeah, that speed is friggin' impossible. And those octave shifts are brutal. But whatever, I was having a bit of a break for some fun. Maybe in another year I can get it clean.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:34 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Quote: dlraben wrote in post #56
So, I first read that challenge and laughed. Then I started practicing and thought I'd download the tab to see how far off I am. And, yeah, that speed is friggin' impossible. And those octave shifts are brutal. But whatever, I was having a bit of a break for some fun. Maybe in another year I can get it clean.

Oh man, great job! Keep practicing it, and you'll get it! Sooner than a year, too I bet! Awesome post, very impressive to say the least!
-Scott

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:08 am
by ashan • 190 Posts

http://youtu.be/2sU5TLpWb70 3 4 days now. couldn't do this all at first.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:06 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Hey, that's impressive! Nice work!

-Scott

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:25 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Agreed. Sounds nice and smooth and clear.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:27 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Latest sweep picking vid:

I'd been neglecting to practice on the higher frets, and I think it shows. Also, I need to work more on getting the position shifts smoother. Last couple of days I'd decided to push the speed a bit (only half the speed of the Yngwie solo now...) but when I listen back I'm still not happy with the timing on the individual notes - it doesn't sound like each of the four is played for an equal time.

Please let me know what you think (I like to believe I'm improving a little.)

(Oh yeah, I'm using the Dava picks now which I got on Friday evening. So far I'm liking them.)

Last edited Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:27 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:02 pm
by JoelMedina • 72 Posts

Ursin please put the videos back up >.>

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:05 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Nick you are slightly incorrect in your diatonic chords by one note.
The vii chord is not Dim5 and Dim7. A Dim7 would be a double flat 7 (or equivalent to a 6th)
the actual vi chord as a 4 note chord is not a diminished chord but a minor7b5 (also called HALF Diminished)
and the formula is - 1 b3 b5 b7 no bb7 (or 6).

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:54 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: JoelMedina wrote in post #62
Ursin please put the videos back up >.>

I'm gonna hook it up Joel. Standby...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:09 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

As requested by Joel

Gliss picking 2 strings Part 1

Gliss Picking 2 strings Part 2

Last edited Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:23 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:45 pm
by JoelMedina • 72 Posts

Ashan gave me a heads up they were up! I didn't expect you to remake the videos, thank you so much for that :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:00 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: JoelMedina wrote in post #66
Ashan gave me a heads up they were up! I didn't expect you to remake the videos, thank you so much for that :)

No problem dude. Hope it helps. Let me know.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:57 pm
by JoelMedina • 72 Posts

Uderoche: (I'm not sure if it has been addressed yet) On the picking hand, are you always doing a constant U-D-D pattern throughout? Or do you stop doing the upstroke after the first one?

EDIT: I know when it comes to sweeping there's a certain point where paying attention to pickstrokes becomes trivial. I'm trying to figure out the right hand mechanics of what you're doing when you play them quickly.

Last edited Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:03 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:56 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: JoelMedina wrote in post #68
Uderoche: (I'm not sure if it has been addressed yet) On the picking hand, are you always doing a constant U-D-D pattern throughout? Or do you stop doing the upstroke after the first one?

EDIT: I know when it comes to sweeping there's a certain point where paying attention to pickstrokes becomes trivial. I'm trying to figure out the right hand mechanics of what you're doing when you play them quickly.

Yes. For this particular permutation (of which there are many...I just chose this particular one at random) the pattern is Upstroke-pulloff-Down-Down

I definitely don't think it's trivial to focus on the pick strokes! It's very important. That's why I feel this is a good pattern to start with. Because, generally speaking, the biggest problem people have with the sweep picking is turning the pick around and going in the opposite direction. The down-down-UP-pulloff and then back to down-down...this is a problem area...the upstroke and then back into the down-down "sweep" part.

Yngwie, Blackmore, Uli Roth, and most of the neo-classical shred guys make heavy use of this type of thing. How you move the pick can be changed...I don't know if there is a "best" way, but the strokes remain the same.

It can be played so fast that it almost starts to sound like triplets and it's difficult to tell exactly what the pick is doing.

In my example it is constantly Up-pulloff-Down-down-up-pulloff-down-down

You don't have to use scalpel picking to do it. In fact, most people don't I would say. Pebber showed me the technique and it seemed to fit well with sweeping because you don't have to move your arm and wrist as much...although with some of the larger 5 and 6 string shapes you often have to move your hand more.

Yngwie uses this type of picking for sweeping as well as the late, great jazz legend Howard Roberts, where I believe Pebber learned the technique along with Eric Johnson...the so called "circle picking" or scalpel picking.

I would experiment with various ways of moving the pick however, the strokes are the same and the muting is crucial. At high speeds it will sound like a blur of notes but you don't want it to sound like a strummed chord.

Also, that upstroke is your "marker" note...Frakh has talked about marker notes before. Focus on that upstroke and accent it...give it a little extra pick. This will help you to stay on track.

Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:14 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Not much actual video footage has survived of Howard Roberts but here is a clip. You can see scalpel picking being used extensively to sweep arpeggios. In the 80's, everyone was in awe of Eric Johnson using this technique and this is where he learned it. Pebber was also taking lessons from Howard around that time. Pebber passes on this knowledge and I found it very useful FIRST in UNLOCKING the pickhand thumb...and then in helping articulate things. Very useful. Also, jazz guys never called it "sweep picking" as that term didn't really come around until Yngwie. It was glissando picking.

Anyway, here is HR

Last edited Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:16 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:29 pm
by dave86uk • 34 Posts

Thanks for these videos ursin its helped me alot I haven't bothered with sweep picking for a while I used to try doing all 6 strings & never really be that good at it but breaking up in to 2 strings then 3,4,5,6 makes it alot easier. Heres a short video on where I am up to with it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:25 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: dave86uk wrote in post #71
Thanks for these videos ursin its helped me alot I haven't bothered with sweep picking for a while I used to try doing all 6 strings & never really be that good at it but breaking up in to 2 strings then 3,4,5,6 makes it alot easier. Heres a short video on where I am up to with it.

Awesome! Great job! Now, I would suggest taking that and working it with the metronome. This will get you faster. Very nice! Keep pushing forward with the metronome! You are on your way.

More to come so stay tuned.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:12 pm
by andygelband • 11 Posts

Hi guys,

I've gone back to the very first post in this thread but I can't see the video referred to. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:13 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:15 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

there are 2 vids in this page with a skeleton cowboy and pin up images, those are the videos you're looking for

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:23 pm
by andygelband • 11 Posts

Got it - thanks so much ashan!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
65 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly