RE: Legato thread

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:13 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Dont worry about how "other" guitarists do it - they all completely suck at it compared to Holdsworth. IGNORE the rest for good.

When you increase the speed it all becomes a "Tapboard" and the gentle pulls are all you need. You'll see. The trill exercises were developed out of the need to be able to cleanly play legato like Holdsworth so always go back to those if you cant get the right legato sound.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:42 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Thanks Pebber. You, Ursin, FRaKh and the members here rock! I've never before made such effective and sure progress as since following this site and these lessons. Much appreciated.

I think I had a pretty productive day yesterday. I spent 90 minutes or so on legato alone, starting slow and deliberate at 72bpm with triplets. I worked up to sextuplets at 84bpm, at which point it become too sloppy, noisy and generally lacking in clarity. But on the way I got to work on those gentle pulls just like you say, and the sound started to come together and create, at times at least, an even flow.

I then put in a good amount of time on first sweeps and then tapping, before finally trying some picking sequences. I've been neglecting picking of late, but was pleasantly surprised to find that, what with the left-hand workout and the much lighter pick attack, I was able to get a sweeter tone than ever before. (I know the light pick attack has been mentioned before, but I'm a slow learner, and sometimes it takes a while for all the pieces to fall into place.)

I've been working on the trills most nights (again, slow and deliberate with each combo, followed by fast), and, since Ursin's latest sweep lesson, I'm going to start incorporating the ladder exercises.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Here's my latest legato progress:

The three clips here were taken from an hour's worth of drilling the same scale.

At the slower speed, I'm trying to keep the volume as consistent as possible between picked, pulled and hammered notes. Please let me know if you think I'm on the right track.

Then I tried to push the speed, up to the point where the quality is clearly unacceptable. I noticed three problems with the faster attempts: I tend to pick too hard with all the excitement, so I lose some of the fluidity; I think my first finger is no longer moving into position to correctly damp the other strings; and my pinky becomes sloppy and can hit other strings by accident.

Again, any comments/advice/criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll up

Legato Basics

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 am

Legato Basics

Heres a video of Legato Basics. I hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylY5-10X86g&feature=youtu.be

Last edited Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:07 am | Scroll up

RE: Legato Basics

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:27 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

So far I am a couple minutes into Pebbers new video ...I am salivating @ geting a whole hours worth!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:54 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

This is awesome - thanks very much Pebber!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:58 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Just finished my first hour of drilling from this vid. Just playing the C scale at quarter notes, 120bpm. I see now how playing like this - decoupling the start of each beat from the string change - forces one to become more mindful of the dynamics. I'm sure this is going to help make it smoother and more flexible (for when I move on to the sequences....)

Anyone else trying this?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:28 pm

DECOUPLING!!! Thats the word I will use from now on!! Excellent!
Yes you have to do quarter notes from 100 up to like 200 or so to really get this down right.
keep on just doing quarter note for at least a couple of weeks if not a month to really get
this down correctly. Then of course download the file MATRIX OF RATIOS from my website and just
go down the list as best you can - 1 note per beat = quarter notes, 2 notes per beat = 8ths, triplets, 16ths, quintuplets, sextuplets, septuplets 32nd notes (octuplets) - of course you have to ajdust the speeds of the metronome as you go and get better at doing it. This is the right way to get this down though.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:44 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

didn't get to this video yet as it requires 14 position scale system. i'm still studying the 7 position system. plus daily drill of ursins 2 string sweeps and pebbers ladder + trill exercises. will start this video once i get comfortable with 7 and 12 position scale systems.

Last edited Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:51 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:35 am

ashan - this entire video only uses Pos 12 of the 14 position system as it is a 3nps pattern - this is the exact same position as Pos 6 of the 7 position system. I reccommend you start working this video as it is more about phrasing and strength building than memorizing all 14 positions. Dont be afraid to jump in the pool out of fear - MOVE ON! PUSH yourself into new territory like Alexander the Great!!!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:59 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Pebber is 100% dead on in this video about listening. We don't talk enough about listening. So important. Listening and watching.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/UrsinDeRoche
YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:34 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

definitely will, starting today. thanks for the video pebber. and for ursins advice about sweep picking ladder exercises. i'm having fun practicing since i came across pebbers youtube channel and forum. and my playing has improved a lot.

Last edited Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:37 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:07 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Day three of following the instructions in Pebber's vid. Does this seem like I'm on the right track? All comments appreciated:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:18 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

I still really suck at this myself, so I'm torn in typing anything at all. But since you helped me with a dynamics issue in the sweep thread, here goes. Close your eyes and listen to your video again. Did you notice any pattern in your dynamics? I did. I don't think I'm supposed to.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:04 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Thanks Damon - you're feedback is always appreciated.

I was surprised to hear a pattern of groups of 4. I was expecting groups of 3 - ie accent on the string changes. Is this what you hear? My metronome is set to emphasize the first beat in every four, so it sounds like I'm actually following the metronome. I know this isn't ideal, but I'd prefer that over the groups of 3. Or am I deluding myself :)?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:28 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Dunno. For me, it started more in 3s, some 4s in the middle, and maybe 3s a bit at the end. Maybe I'm hearing things that aren't there. But anyway, what caused me to write my response above was the tone your pinky hammer-ons were producing. Not all of them, but most of them seemed a bit hotter to me than the other tones. Again, I find this very difficult myself, and I'm not sure if I'm nit-picking here or not. If I can find the time to actually practice, I'll try to show myself later this week to get some return feedback.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:51 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

That makes total sense - thanks for that. Looking forward to hearing how you're doing with it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:48 am

Thats better but still you have to do QUARTER NOTES at 120 and up for a long while. QUARTER NOTES at 120. Thats it just do that and do it for a month. I thought it was very clear in the video?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:09 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

It was clear, and that's what I thought I was doing. It's a little faster than that, because I understood you to mean to work up to a speed of quarter notes at 200bpm after a month, so I've been incrementing a little every day.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:32 am

Cliff - I dont hear more than one click every four notes. Thats 16th notes not quarter notes. A quarter note is one note-one click. Perhaps the audio is weak maybe you could put the metronome right up next to the mic/webcam mic
mount it with tape or something so I can hear it. Its barely audible in this particular video.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:49 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Yeah, it was just one note per click, but the metronome was emphasizing the first of every four clicks, which is probably what you're hearing. I've since set it to a strict even rhythm, and I'll be sure to make it more audible next time.

Thanks for the feedback!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:42 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

I have been doing trill exercises for a while but I think that I was neglecting about moving across the fretboard. For about 3 months I did only moving horizontally across the fretboard and i was getting pretty good at it. A few weeks ago i tried moving vertically across the fretboard and I could hardly do it. The problem was when changing the strings. Since then I have been practicing it vertically only everyday across the entire fretboard and this has helped me a lot in playing my legato and maintaining the picking and legato. Here I have Lesson 7.36 Four finger trill pattern with open strings 0-1-4-2-3 @ 235 notes per second and 2 notes per beat (eighth notes). I do strongly recommend doing one trill pattern every day across the entire fretboard for better control on your fretting hand. I have seen nothing but progress and progress on my playing since i started doing this.

How do you guys keep track of your tempo? I mean Pebber has thousands of lessons/exercises. How do you keep a track of what tempo you played an exercise last time or what measure (1 note per beat or 2 notes per beat ...) you played last time. Last time could be yesterday or weeks or months ago. Does anyone keep a track of it? Please let me know.

I appreciate any comments about the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62rZIQx3Z8&feature=youtu.be

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:30 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Pretty cool! Have you considered running those permutation trill exercises using other scale shapes instead of just 4 chromatic notes? You know, many birds with one stone: scale shapes, stretching the fingers, and trills?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Quote: dlraben wrote in post #75
Pretty cool! Have you considered running those permutation trill exercises using other scale shapes instead of just 4 chromatic notes? You know, many birds with one stone: scale shapes, stretching the fingers, and trills?

I do it once in a while on the scale shapes but do these trill everyday at least 2 hours a day. I really want to be fluent in doing these trill exercises before i jump into any scale shapes exercises.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Very cool!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
734 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly