RE: Legato thread

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:12 am
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Quote: uderoche wrote in post #100
Yo diego this is looking good to me. Very solid work. Keep up with these trills daily. I continue to come across lessons and magazine articles that mention to "do these trill exercises for 15 minutes a day."

That is shit.

You should be doing trills at least an hour a day I would say. There are so many permutations that you could never exhaust them all and also, it's a great warm-up.

Your fret hand fingers look really good! The wrist is still very bent. If this is comfortable to you, that is ok but it may lead to carpal tunnel syndrome down the road. You might try pulling the neck closer to your head.

Your pick hand is looking good. When you are doing these trill exercises you might try this: When ascending low to high use alternate picking and when descending use sweep picking. Or, when ascending use alternate and when descending don't use the pick at all.

Also, learn some scales and trill those.

Solid work. Keep pushing forward.

Yeah thank you. My fretting wrist is very flexible and it doesn't hurt at all when I bend it to extreme. However if i bend it too much my fingers feel very loose and i lose my control over them.

I do these everyday and I will add your suggestions into my practicing. You said "Learn some scales and trill those". I thought I was trilling on a D minor scale.

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio

Last edited Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:13 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:02 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Zitat

Yeah thank you. My fretting wrist is very flexible and it doesn't hurt at all when I bend it to extreme. However if i bend it too much my fingers feel very loose and i lose my control over them.

I do these everyday and I will add your suggestions into my practicing. You said "Learn some scales and trill those". I thought I was trilling on a D minor scale.

D minor is great. I was just saying learn more scales and patterns (try the 14 Position System;download the pdf from Pebber's website) and trill those and run them legato up and down.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:03 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:28 am
by ICanOnlyCarry50ChickensAtATime • 14 Posts

Hi folks,
I usually do one hour of trills every day. I aim for 15min each finger combination and currenty I'm doing 0-1 to 0-4.
Since there are so many combinations I wonder if I should go on to another fingerset, do more different trills with less time for each, mix in 2-3-4 finger patterns, go to scale patterns or whatnot.
What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:49 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: ICanOnlyCarry50ChickensAtATime wrote in post #103
Hi folks,
I usually do one hour of trills every day. I aim for 15min each finger combination and currenty I'm doing 0-1 to 0-4.
Since there are so many combinations I wonder if I should go on to another fingerset, do more different trills with less time for each, mix in 2-3-4 finger patterns, go to scale patterns or whatnot.
What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

15min on each finger combination is good work. I'd start doing 1-4, 2-4, and 3-4. Generally, the most weakness is in the 4th finger so I have found spending extra time on that helps a lot.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:55 am
by ICanOnlyCarry50ChickensAtATime • 14 Posts

Yes, I already did them in the past but decided to go back to one finger trills, so I could do 15min for each finger.
I tend to go back to previous patterns a lot, because I think I suck with those basic patterns too much to proceed.. ;-)
Do you think I should start adding scale patterns to my daily routine?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:22 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Yeah I would add in some scale patterns. Sometimes people get the wrong idea about the exercises. The exercises themselves aren't really meant to be played at super Yngwie speed. They are meant to warm up and strengthen the hands so you can play at super Yngwie speed later. So, you may do trills for an hour and then do some picking exercises for an hour. Once you feel warm you can start playing faster. If you wake up, grab the guitar, and start trying to play fast, usually it sounds like sloppy crap. So, when practicing the trills, shoot for precision and accuracy, a good tone, and good intonation. Don't worry too much about speed.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
102 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly