Noob help with scale practice please.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 am
by bisleybloke • 6 Posts

Hi All, first off is obviously a big thanks to Pebber for all he does and to all the folks who help out on this board.

I have two questions.

I am working on Pebber's caged lessons but am concerned that I may be going about things incorrectly. As an example, position three: Pebber demonstrates this starting on the 7th fret low E - "B". I've always been led to believe that when practising scales, one should start on the root note. I have spent quite some time looking at many of Pebber's teachings ( both video and text ) and find no particular comment on this point.
Could someone please offer me some guidance ?

My second question: The five positions Pebber demonstrates and discusses are all in G Major. I'm not completely sure how to transpose this to different keys. Again, some guidance would be appreciated.

It may be the case that these things are described/discussed somewhere but I just haven't found it. There is such a wealth of material (thank you) I may have just missed it.

Kind Regards.

Scroll up

RE: Noob help with scale practice please.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Question 1: Focus on learning the patterns, not what may or may not be the 'root note'. You want all the notes available, even the ones below the 'root note'. Learn the patterns and get them down.

Question 2: Take your pattern and move it up or down as needed. If A major, move all the patterns up two frets. Bb... three frets. F... down two frets, etc...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:34 am
by bisleybloke • 6 Posts

Hi, ok thank you for answering.

I'll get on with it :)

Thanks

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Scales exist all over the instrument. You can start a scale on any note. The 5 position CAGED system is only an entry level system that breaks down the neck into 5 easy patterns. To map out all the other keys you first need to know what the other keys are and what the scaletones are. Can you write out 15 major scales? Can you write out 4 major scales right here? Do it right now what are the notes in a G scale?, a D scale? An F scale? An A scale? if you cant do this IMMEDIATELY from memory then you cant map out the neck. Step one learn your major scales.

Last edited Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 am
by bisleybloke • 6 Posts

Hello Pebber,

many thanks for your reply. I can easily do what you asked from memory as I watched your music theory video 3 times to be sure I understood how to correctly derive scales. I'm referring to the video in which you explained to some students by re-writing the circle of fifths as a matrix and applying the major scale formula.

A reason for asking the question was as follows; I know that the instrument is highly pattern oriented when it comes to scales so suspected that there was an immediate method to move your scale patterns into any key - I don't like guessing (it's the engineer in me), so I thought I should just ask. There is plenty for me to do before I try to move your patterns around as my technique is very poor.

I dislike hesitating when I'm mid-flow on something. When the time comes for me to move out of G Major I now KNOW two ways to do it - one of which is a surefire method for me to cross-check what I do :) Thank you.

Another reason relates to the position two variant you describe. I haven't seen that pattern in other books - that's not to say it's not described in other books, just not the books I've seen thus far. I'm somewhat curious about this.

Oh dear, I mis-read part of your text - I'm not sure I can write out 15 major scales. 12 I can see immediately, but not 15. What am I missing please ?

Sidenote for anyone who hasn't viewed the music theory videos. I refer to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK-jr2AkMQ4 For me it was a goldmine - one of the best learning/teaching experiences I've ever had - and I'm old enough to have had a few :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:52 am

What did I ask you to do?
Real simple - write out the major scales.
How it works is that you DO THAT. Not
type 4-5 paragraphs claiming
that you can "do that easily" then in the
same monologue say that you dont
understand 15 scales. A lack of effort
will produce a LACK OF RESULTS.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:45 am
by bisleybloke • 6 Posts

Oh ok, to say I could do it easily was a way of paying you a compliment. Seems you didn't see it that way - unfortunate.

Kind Regards

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:51 pm

I am not really interested in compliments. I dont have that kind of ego need at all.
I just see so many guys type away with endless paragraphs who dont sit down
and just do the work. Lets see you do the work.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:30 am
by John567 • 156 Posts

First of all, I'm not the greatest guitarists in the world. I'm mediocre at best (so double check my spelling - I just rolled out of bed). But here's my two cents:

This is a great topic. You know, it took me a long time to learn my Major Scales. It's not an easy fix (at least for me it wasn't). I had to find a lot of patience and get myself organized. I spelled it out and came up with a schedule. I set myself up with a goal to write out each one 1000 times (sounds a little crazy, eh?). But if you break it down its only about 34-35 time a day. So, in a month, you'll be done.

Here's the "to do" list that I sort of came up with:

MAJOR SCALES

Jan C D E F G A B C

Feb F G A Bb C D E F

Mar Bb C D Eb F G A Bb

Apr Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb

May Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab

Jun Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C Db

Jul Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb F Gb

Aug B C# D# E F# G# A# B

Sep E F# G# A B C# D# E

Oct A B C# D E F# G# A

Nov D E F# G A B C# D

Dec G A B C D E F# G

--- Enharmonic Scales ----

Jul F# G# A# B C# D# E# F# (same as Gb)

Jun C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C# (same as Db)

Aug Cb Db Eb Fb Gb Ab Bb Cb (same as B)

Now thats just part of it. You have to sing out the scales as you play them. Also, you have to outline each of the triads, 7th chords, inversions for each, and the arpeggios that go with them, etc... intervals.... :D

This should keep you busy for a while.

Oh, and now looking back at it after so many years I wish I also implemented the Right Hand stuff from Pebber's DVD's while doing it. Fuck.

So... again, this should keep anyone busy for a while. But if you think that this is all bullshit, by all means, don't do it. Figure out your own way to do it and ask yourself "how do I know that I know the major scales?". What does it mean to know the major scales?

Or you can just sit on the couch and drink pepsi and play guitar hero on your PS3. There's nothing wrong with that. I hear it's very popular and people get a lot of satisfaction from it.

So, don't practice your guitar every day. Do not practice. Practicing .... no..... PS3 ..... yes......

Also, if you are interested you have to go over the modes for each of the major scales. I didn't include that topic here but if you wanted to cover that as well here's a hint: there are seven days a week.

But again, there is always your PS3.

I hope this helps (I'm joking about the PS3).

:D

Last edited Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:33 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:45 pm

You just did his assignment for him.
Not what I was after.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:20 am
by bisleybloke • 6 Posts

Hi John,

thanks for your great reply. Oh, you hadn't really done the exercise for me. Before I saw your reply I had done it by hand and came up with the prescribed 15 majors :) Thank you for sharing your learning strategy though, that's really helpful (I've printed it and put it in my folder).

The closest thing I have to a computer game/console in my house is an intransigent remote control that insists on selecting the wrong radio station :) No guitar hero for me :)

Many thanks and Kind Regards.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:24 am
by bisleybloke • 6 Posts

Hi Pebber,

you seem to have a predilection for turning everything into a pissing contest.

You should mind which way you're pointing !

Find a dark corner and stand in it until you grow up then see if you can talk with the adults.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:04 am
by ashan • 190 Posts

oh man did you just insult the guy who inspired many of us to take the instrument seriously? one of these days he's gonna stop giving away youtube lessons because of these idiots

Scroll up

Grow up?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:29 am

Oh really? You come on HERE and talk to ME like that? Brilliant.
Way to go dude. You just got yourself a one way ticket out of here.
We don't tolerate any form of abusive commenting to anyone here
let alone directed towards ME, the creator of this forum and all of
your FREE lessons and FREE videos. Your generation is plagued
with arrogance and a belief that you are ENTITLED to everything.
You are not. When YOU grow up it may dawn on you how to act.

Last edited Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:22 am
by John567 • 156 Posts

To " bisleybloke",

WTF?

"Find a dark corner and stand in it until you grow up then see if you can talk with the adults..."

Really!?! Where do you get the idea that you can say that to Pebber? Would you have the balls to say that to his face? You are one ungrateful punk. Now I realize I was at fault for spelling things out for you. I realize now that I did the wrong thing in taking the time to explain things to you. I totally missed the mark on this one. I thought this forum was to help one another not to come down on Pebber. Man, if you don't respect this guy and what he has given to everyone, then maybe you should go and buy yourself a PS3.

I still can't believe you said that. Wholly fuck. You are one ungrateful punk. I want nothing to do with you. I apologize to everyone on the forum and especially to Pebber for trying to help this person out. It seems I lack the ability to see people for what they are online. I'm sorry.

Unreal.

Last edited Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:23 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

John 567 are you trying to sell your old ps3 ready for the ps4 lol!!!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:42 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

LOL! You figured me out, deltadiscos! You can see through walls.... :D

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:52 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

something about these replies tells me i should buy my first gaming console soon

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm

No worries guys - forget about it. People like that dont belong here and so he is NO LONGER here - of course. Yes I do have the administrator account! Every week or so I get trolled on YouTube and once a month or so I get trolled here on the forum. It pisses me off to the max but I am not letting it affect me as much as it once did. I offer an apology to deltadiscos if my flame email response was taken as an attack - it was just me venting about trolls - not directed at you. Just fuckin forget about it and move on theres a lot of material to practice and we dont have very much free time we cant waste our energy getting pissed off at ungrateful moron trolls - they live off that energy and suck it right out of all of us. Got to clean your mind and emotions of them and get on with music!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Getting back on track
How i'm doing things
run through the 5 7 positions
then 14 position run through all the Scaletones but really put a lot work into one position a day
run through pickingdouble triplet etc
singing, scaletones harmony's
timing
then all sequences and pick them double triple etc
this can take a long while two weeks on each key minimum.
stick in the wholetone diminished
three finger perms
a few trills
single picking
adj picking

Think we may have to move to another planet where there are more hours in the day. then john can have time for that ps4 too lol

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:11 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

.... actually I'm looking at this new midi guitar "YRG" gen 2. It looks pretty slick and of course it doubles as a game controller! LMAO!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:50 am
by BuffaloBill • 13 Posts

BisleyBloke, you are trying to rally people against an incredibly great dude we are all devotees of to one degree or another, who gives away his knowledge for free, on a forum he created.

You are so choked-up with your own mind that you cannot reason with yourself to analyze and accept the mind-set and ideas of another.
If you had, you would have realized that it was better to pull your head in.
You did not even have the sense to be sneaky and quickly copy+paste the scales if you couldn't be bothered writing them out, you would rather assert yourself at every possible avenue.

People like yourself always remind me of this Zen Koan about The Professor and The Zen Master ; The Professor seeking advice and to learn about the Zen Master, but being too choked up with his own ideas to learn anything
Read here:
http://deoxy.org/koan/1

Nan-in, a Japanese Zen master during the Meiji era (1868-1912), received a university professor who came to inquire about Zen.

Nan-in served tea. He poured his visitor's cup full, and then kept on pouring.

The professor watched the overflow until he no longer could restrain himself. "It is overfull. No more will go in!"

"Like this cup," Nan-in said, "you are full of your own opinions and speculations. How can I show you Zen unless you first empty your cup?"

Last edited Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:52 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:39 am

deltadiscos I would abandon the 5 7 positions and strictly practice the 14 positions and then start learning the scaletone form system. Your practice routine sounds awesome though!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
207 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia