Guitar Setup

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 7:24 pm
by robmurtha • 94 Posts

Hi Pebber, I need your advice and I think others will want to weigh in and also see what you have to say. I have been using several guitars for practicing and I'm noticing something. I started out trying using heavy strings with a fairly high action on a couple of strats and it was great for building up my chops but I started to really get fatigued. I pulled out my jazz box which has an amazing action and is very fast and I noticed that my left hand was getting ahead of my right hand for the first time so the excersizes are paying off. I decided to practice on the jazz box for a couple of days and when I went back to the strat it still felt good but I'm my timing is getting screwed up on the faster stuff. I also have a better strat with a lower action but I like the jazz box because its 24 3/4 scale. Do you think it's of any value to practice with heavy strings on a high action? Should I focus on the best axe and setup until I get this timing down?

Thanks,
Rob

Scroll up

RE: Guitar Setup

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 23, 2010 7:29 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Yeah I posted the answer to that in the Q&A forum. Thanks!

Scroll up

RE: Pickups

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 10:02 am

What do you guys all say about strat replacement pickups? I like the idea of a bridge pickup thats a slim style humbucker and since I got to personally interview Seymour at NAMM, I am slanted towards Duncans - but there's all these NEW NEW guys - Fralin, Nordstrand, Lollar and the old school guys DiMarzio and EMG (well EMG is not really old school but they have been around for decades!) My stock strat pickups are - ... OK...... a litte thin and wanky (hollowish) if you ask me - they tend to piss me off a lot - anyone care to share their ideas?

-=>PB

Last edited Mon May 24, 2010 10:03 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 10:21 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Tone talk...yeah!!!!!!

I use Seymour's SSL-1 in the neck and also the Quarter Pound. Amazing pickups.

I also have a "Lil Pearly Gates" that they custom wound for me. That's a single sized pickup but sounds more like a humbucker. They also make "JB Jr" to suit those purposes.

Last edited Mon May 24, 2010 10:22 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 7:38 pm
by robmurtha • 94 Posts

I have Fralin blues replacements in two of my low end strats, they are much warmer. I have an hss setup with an unbuckler in the bridge that I like alot I got the blender pot - check out pre-wired harnesses at http://www.guitar-mod.com/ he does very high quality work and stands behind it 100%.

I think my favorites though are the Fender Noiseless pickups in my Clapton signature and with the mid boost circuit I can get pretty much any tone - great for going directly into the amp but can be a bit of an issue with some effects due to the +25 db boost. The Noiseless have that great chime and can spank and also be warm and truely are noiseless.

Rob

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 pm
by robmurtha • 94 Posts

I've been using the dunlop jazz II forever and now that I'm working on Pebbers picking stuff I find they slip so I'm trying cat's tounge http://imperialguitar.stores.yahoo.net/brainpick.html they are very grippy.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 24, 2010 9:30 pm
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

Have you tried Dunlop Ultex picks? They don't slip.

Also, V-picks, if you email the owner he will send you a free sample to try out! :)

A lack of effort will give you a lack of results. - Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 27, 2010 9:20 pm
by Adam (deleted)

Pebber: When I had my Strat, it had those Lace-Sensor Pick-ups, and I LOVED those! I think your Friend, Ed, has a video where he compares these to another kind of pick-up. I know somebody who recently installed DiMarzio Tone-Zone and Evolutions in a Squier, and it's like a totally different guitar!

Rob: As far as picks go, I use Jazz III's, both the regular and the Ultex. However, I am going to try a similar style in the V-Pick. I hear nothing but good things about those!

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS
-Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 28, 2010 12:51 am

Can I imbue any sense of what it was like to sit there and be invited to sit down with Seymour Duncan and talk to him for a half hour? It was incredible - I would be ashamed at myself if I didnt pursue his products more. He has emailed me back and forth a few times after I sent him a copy of the NAMM interview. And for me it would be almost blasphemy and treason to look anywhere else - for now.....!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 28, 2010 6:43 am
by Adam (deleted)

Well YES,,,Naturally, that should be your 1st stop! I meant to ask what, if anything came of that encounter. If I remember correctly, he still does CUSTOM jobs! How about a Seymour Duncan PB1? Or the PB&J (Pebber Brown Jazz)? How COOL would that be?

A LACK OF EFFORT WILL GIVE YOU A LACK OF RESULTS--Pebber Brown
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 28, 2010 7:30 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Dude, if they did a custom wound PB1 that would be killer!

I have used many pickups over the years, but I have always found Duncans to be the most toneful.

I think the JB humbucker is the greatest pickup ever!

Pebber, I would try a JB Jr in the bridge position of your strat. I believe Holdsworth used it for a long time. It's got a lot of mids so it really cuts through and gives a lot of note definition. He used the full size JB, but I'm sure the single sized version is equally killer.

STFU! - Pebber Brown

Last edited Fri May 28, 2010 7:31 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 28, 2010 7:45 am
by Adam (deleted)

Honest to God: If Seymour Duncan did a custom job for Pebber Brown, I would have to buy another Strat just to be able to install one! I should have NEVER parted with my other one, which was equipped with Lace-Sensor Pick-ups!Getting rid of that Strat (yes, AMERICAN) ranks right up there with getting rid of my black 1990-91 Ibanez RG770,,,,which they stopped making, because it was too close to the Jem! HUGE MISTAKES!

Getting back to a possible "PB1," what do you think, guys? Neck, or Bridge? I wouldn't really want to fuck with the Middle, because very few things compare to that CLEAN Fender Strat Middle-Pickup Tone!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 28, 2010 8:09 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Dude, PBN (neck) PBB(bridge)....we can just go ahead and put the PBN in the middle

STFU! - Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 28, 2010 2:04 pm

OOoh Actually Seymour made a bunch of custom pickups using Alnico 2 magnets for Allan Holdsworth. He didnt do JB-1's his were custom made for him by Seymour himself. There were a hundred or s made and he did sell some. I have a great pic from the NAMM show in 1984 where Seymour is talking with both Jeff Beck and Allan Holdsworth. Jeff was visibly intimidated by Allan and when the crowd yelled out some loud remarks liek "JEFF is NUMBER ONE!" he put up both his hands as if to stop them and he shook his head NO and pointed directly to Allan with one hand and the other hand he raised above his head with the "No# 1" salute. Beck knows whats up.

Last edited Fri May 28, 2010 2:05 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 1:20 pm
by SwampRiverMan • 27 Posts

Hey Pebber and guys, this is Ed Greenwald.
If you want to check out my lace sensors with a Clapton preamp I can swing by the store and you can plug it in and let it scream.
I used to have a set of Seymour Duncan Hotrails in a Strat I sold to Johnny Fortune. That guitar sounded great. You could dial back the volume for a clean Strat tone or turn it up and distort like a Les Paul.

Personally I still like Texas Specials for a Vintage warmer tone. But the Hotrails come in many flavors now days. Very similar to what Danny Gatton used in his Tele.

I also have a video showing a little bit of what that Clapton Preamp does at wildhorsestudios1421 on youtube.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 29, 2010 1:51 pm
by Adam (deleted)

You also have a Lace-Sensor comparison Video, too, yes?

I just LOVE those things!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 31, 2010 5:43 pm
by SwampRiverMan • 27 Posts

Why yes Adam i do. Anyone can check it out on Youtube.

Of course it will start the age old argument between maple necks and rosewood necks. But only for those that can't stay focused on the subject. :)

Last edited Mon May 31, 2010 5:46 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 31, 2010 6:10 pm
by Blayze • 32 Posts

I often like medium to low output picks....I do, however, enjoy the lace sensors in my Clapton strats. My pgms have tone zones and PAF pros. I am also digging the pickups in my Vigier. These are all Dimarizos of course. I love the Duncan Jazz...and pretty much everything SD has come out with. I also really enjoy most PRS pickups haha.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:35 am
by Adam (deleted)

Blayze,

EVERY video I see of yours, you have a new KILLER guitar! Do you work at freakin' Guitar Center???

Anyway, in addition to this pick-up talk, I would like to add that I prefer LOW ACTION.

Any thoughts?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:58 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Low action here as well, however, I like very tall frets. So, when you grab one of my guitars, it might not feel like it has very low action. Almost like a scalloped neck sort of feel. So, the action is super low, but you can still dig in. But, if you are not careful, you can push down too hard and the note will go sharp. So, it takes some getting used to, but that's what I've always preferred.

STFU! - Pebber Brown

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:52 am
by Blayze • 32 Posts

Not guitar center. My dad owned a music store down here, but he passed away in March. Now I own it. That said, most of these guitars were aquired from my dad's collection or from connections ade at the music store....not the store itself.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 pm
by Adam (deleted)

Again, I am very sorry to hear about your Father. I am SURE you will carry on the Family Business WONDERFULLY!

Here's on for you all:

When changing strings on a guitar with a floating tremolo (Floyd Rose, Edge III's, etc), do you find it best to do ONE STRING AT A TIME, as opposed to taking off all 6, then starting over?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:56 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Good question Adam. I asked my guitar tech Tommy Simpson who has toured and done tech work for, Madonna, Metallica, Shania Twain, Janet Jackson, etc etc etc. So, the guy knows what he is talking about.

He said, it really doesn't matter.

From my personal experience, I'm not that great at it so I do one string at a time so as not to totally screw it up.

That's why I let him mess with it! Floyds are a pain in the ass. But I love them

-Ursin

Last edited Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:57 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:05 am
by Adam (deleted)

WOW! That is very interesting! You KNOW that dude knows his shit, too!

Come to think of it,,,,as long as you put some type of brace between the trem & body cavity, I think it's safe to do either way.

...and yes,,,"pain in the ass, but I LOVE them," too!!! LOL!!!

Last edited Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:06 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 am
by Hedda Cooley • 1 Post

The setup of the guitar is portrayed for the struggle I life. All the issues of the guitar and custom assignment writing services have been done for the approval of the sources for the humans in life.

Last edited Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:09 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
101 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 344) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly