Feel the 7, feel the 9, feel the 11

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:01 am
by McFly • 42 Posts

Hi all,

I would like to suggest some listening in connection with the (un)usual 5’s 7’s 9’s and all that
(feel the five, feel the seven 😊 ) and also, you might like it, and decide to explore this
(in my opinion) great guitarist Vlatko Stefanovski further. Some nice music there if you ask me.

The thing is he is a player from Macedonia (now North Macedonia, once Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia; things are never easy in the Balkans region) and their traditional music is full of odd rhythms 5/4, 7/8, 9/8 even I think (similar stuff in Bulgarian music also and some other countries in the region I guess). He used to put some of those traditional ones in his recorded opus and wrote some of his own leaning on his traditional heritage.

So here are some (the links are like this as nothing else worked; tried video einfugen, link einfugen, and simple paste)

7/8 oro ; the name is a giveaway ha?

watch?v=nt9p0AaCWW0

Jovano Jovanke ; feel it 1-2-3;1-2,1-2

watch?v=WU4svQMyhKM

Devetka, is this 9/8, I cant decide?

watch?v=gN94BEyKvhE

This should be 11/8?

Kalajdzisko oro

watch?v=mIjRl6R8RLw

And this one 4/4? Or 7/16+9/16 if thing like that exists? Pebber will tear me apart :) but listen to it for a while and tell me what you hear?

Kokoska (translated as chicken :) )

watch?v=yK2GZYkrKPA

During some interview he demonstrates some 13/8 feel and then says there are Bulgarian guys doing 33/16 ??!? but that’s advanced math for him he says 😊 cant find it now but the above should give you some listening to think about.

Anyway hope you find some of his music interesting; search for Leb I Sol (his band until 1990), then his solo work, Vlatko Stefanovski Trio, Kings of Strings (with Tommy Emmanuel and Stochelo Rosenberg) he said they were reluctant to go do odd signatures on stage during those Kings of Strings tours so thats why we all need to learn these right away before we loose the ability to absorb them : ) ,
Collaboration with Jan Akkerman (from Focus), with Miroslav Tadic (some excellent acoustic playing)...

Give Stefanovski a try, you might discover some enjoyable moments while doing so and you will definitely start feeling the 7 😊 and might even hear some scales most of us don't hear everyday (my knowledge on this stuff is minuscule so i wont try an be the judge on that)

Hope I didn’t bother you too much with this, but since we all love the instrument and (at least) some music beyond power chords I thought to maybe offer some pieces of music you might be less familiar with.

Also in my first post where i introduced myself a bit i forgot to say

THANK YOU PEBBER FOR HARD WORK, SO MUCH FREE STUFF YOU OFFER, THE VIDEOS, THE HUMOR
AND A KICK IN THE A** SO THAT WHEN WE FALL WE GET UP AND PRACTICE AGAIN!!!

Cheers

Last edited Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 am | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
399 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly