FORUM RIFFS AND TUNES THREAD

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:40 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Make a tune. Post it. It'll be fun. I shall start...

Okay, there is a lot... I do mean a LOT of guitar on this... But, there is a lot of stick in there too. I even made a devoted stick section where I tried to do a dedicated stick solo (ughh it kinda blows... But I'm proud of it anyways) So yeah, 6 str guitar, keys, stick, 9 str guitar, loud and angry drums. It's the sort of thing you listen to while doing the dishes, but then you realize there's an apocalypse happening. There's some spots where you could sing along...?

*Warning, there is a disgusting amount of low notes horribly abused in this track...
**Warning, there are high notes flying around like Ninja Shuriken, don't get cut...
***Warning, this is a theme song to a deranged puppet show I'm hoping to make millions on...
****This track will help you get your housework done in a timely manner, just be aware of your ever changing environment... (Apocalypse, remember)

(sigh) I might be too old to do metal... Enjoy, guys.

http://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/omegulus

http://www.scottkerrmusic.com
http://www.youtube.com/Scottulus
Scroll up

RE: FORUM RIFFS AND TUNES THREAD

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:24 am
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

I usually don't do dishes till it's absolutely essential, but I went on and listened anyway and it was a nice surprise. And yes I'm glad that I didn't wash dishes at the same time or this might've happened!

I especially liked the 1:25 portion where the crazy stuff starts! That 9 string low end just opens up the sound spectrum nicely. All of the solos were to my liking too, they complimented the song and some nice craziness always makes music interesting. So there were a lot to like! Good job!

This is a fitting song to end the rule of the cuddly Muppets. People might chant....

Beat the puppets maim the muppets, beat the puppets maim the muppets...KERMIT MUST DIE.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:16 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Nice one Scottulus! And you recorded it in a day! To think I take hours just to record my practice for feedback on the forum :) I guess I'm not counting the previous years of practice :)

Btw, I can now confirm apart from doing the dishes it goes well with programming too...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:42 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Love it, like the lead riff bit like Glasgow kiss. Was a bit disappointed coming up to 4 mins wanted another guitar to come in and just take it to the stratosphere.
Wish I had the equipment and knowledge. to record like this. please do some more an ep maybe.
could you maybe explain you recording process and equipment used.
cheers scott.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:03 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Thanks very much for listening, guys. High praise indeed, even being mentioned in the same sentence as Petrucci!

New link, I did some remixing; http://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/omegulus2

As for the gear I used, Logic ProX and an Apogee Quartet interface into my mac... Drums are Toontrack EZdrummer DFH plugin. Although I can play drums well, I just created a mashup of various midis until I was happy with a groove to jam on. A few microphones (Sure57 and a Senheisser E906) on a Hughes and Kettner Statesman 6L6 Combo and A Marshall JCM2000 DS401 combo. What else... ummm, Native Instruments Komplete used throughout, and of course, Izotope Ozone on the final mix. Oh yeah, I used my Malmsteen strat for the lead work. Nothing fancy; guitar>amp>DAW

...And, a Chapman Stick happens throughout. I'm not that good at it yet, but I love the thing. Cool instrument.

I gotta say, I really hate the stock pickups in Ibanez RG guitars. I have some Duncans on order for the 9 string STAT! hahaha

Anyways, I'd love to see more tracks posted by everyone! Better yet, a kind of collaboration by the forum guys would be really cool! Anyways, this one was a break from a fairly intense sight-reading regimen I've imposed on myself. lol I'll post another track in a year or two hahaha

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:41 am
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

This new mix is way better than the last one, just more definition and gurgling growl and that is always a plus! Got to love the low end! It is one of the benefits of doing it by yourself, you can always go back and tweak the mix.

I hear buckethead there too!

I'm in the process of making a song to post. Actually I made one, but while honing the riffs the 7 string fell with a bang, and that means no 7 string for a while. Then to top it of the computer froze, so I thought I better leave this one for now, so I wrote a bunch of new riffs in drop D (not going to mess with a 6 string in drop A with a set of 9's in it.) and now I have to get the drums going and that's a bummer. Let's see what happens.

Funny that you mentioned collaboration by the forum guys, because yesterday I was thinking the same thing. Could it be in the form of a midi drum track. Anyone could download it (small size) and then play to it whatever they'd want and thus make their song or recording. Just a thought!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:51 am
by wetduck (deleted)

MAN i love that Huge run! 3/4 way thru the song. just a awesome climb..... lol lol id love to post !!! but id have to call in alot of favor's in order to make a recording like that !! and certainly your a very skilled player. my recording would be very different lol great job !!! Scottulus... love the aggression !!! I got lots of work to do !!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:29 pm
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

While programming some drums for my own songs, I thought that I could make a little remix thing that could use the Troll Sandwich metal playing in it. In the Troll Sandwich video Pebber played sarod for 23 minutes fast and heavy, so I thought that I could take a few seconds from it to showcase how Sarod can be used in heavy playing. I ended up with this video. Be warned, it gets brutally heavy and contains some extreme fast playing by Pebber (via samples). Hopefully no one takes an offence! I did this to honor Pebber and his dedication on teaching the guitar in its myriad ways in the midst of the trolls!

The video cropped wrong by youtube, but it gets the sound and the message out. Hope you guys enjoy!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:35 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

TROLL brains make that squirting sound as you bite down on the TROLL SANDWICH

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:09 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Hmmmn, I'm not so sure that's what I envisioned "Troll sandwich" videos, but if that's what you're into, great. I was really hoping people would maybe try and get creative and post some music.

Here is a cover/rearrangement I did of "Let It Go". You know, the one off of Frozen?
There's oodles of guitar, some pedal steel, and Chapman Stick. I decided to not do a guitar solo, well... because there's just a whole boatload of crazy guitar as it is. Not necessary. I hope y'all enjoy! Just an example of the pick hand relaxing a lot more. okay, back to practice... Enjoy...

http://soundcloud.com/jayesskerr/let-it-go

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:17 pm
by wetduck (deleted)

Wow lots going on here :) great stuff Scottulus !!! i loved the opening, very Brian may ish lol so many great ideas flying by...sounds like you were having FUN.. my favorite is the little breaks in the song.... where everything sort of drop's out :)and punches back in again. I found myself hoping for a little more hang time :) very effective !!! really leave's ya holding on!! then off we go again... great job :) Quack Quack

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:55 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Love it!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:50 am
by Justip • 47 Posts

ha ha you not to to old for heavy metal lol.
Love it.

Never to old for rock n roll but always to young to die lol.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
492 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 344) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly