Hi Everyone/Lurker's Intro

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:53 am
by Ivan • 45 Posts

Hi All,
I've officially joined your forum, after lurking for a while and deciding that there's a lot of stuff to be learned here. I'm not sure how this all works yet so if I post in the wrong place or mess up let me know.

I've been playing with guitars and synths on and off for a while, but have never had any lessons so this is where I came to learn to play properly and understand music theory. Until recently I've been playing in Open C tuning on a 7string which I used because I like heavy music, but I want to learn music theory for guitar and that means learning in standard first. As a guitarist, I suspect I'm a frustrated keyboard player, because when i sit down to play I love endless arpeggio loops with a drum machine and tapping patterns for hours on end. There's a real zen element to playing like this for me and I feel like its a valid form of musical expression, but I want to know what else I can do with the instrument. I'm happy to have found lessons from the beginning and it's great to find a teacher who focuses on the very very basics. I've put alternate tunings, 7-strings and effects away for now, and I'm re-learning to play from the beginning on a basic strat through a clean channel. Wish me luck!

See you all in the forums :-)
Ivan

Music=Life

Last edited Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:56 am | Scroll up

RE: Hi Everyone/Lurker's Intro

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:09 am
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

Good luck! This comes late but better late than never. It must be an eyeopening experience to change from a roaring B or A string (drop the B string like a hero) growl to a pesky clean sound. But that's how it goes. For me a 7 string is a nice thing to have, since you can keep your standard six string tuning and then go to the nether regions at will. Of course you didn't have a standard tuning so the step "down" might be a but more radical. But anyway the best of luck to you in learning the six string and know, there's plenty of strings in that too!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:52 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Welcome! The more guitar fanatics, the better...

Cool. I have had a few seven strings, and even recently picked up a 9 string. I have a couple of Chapman Sticks that I just love also, well one in my posession and an aluminum railboard that is on order. I am pretty stoked about it. Stick is fun. Probably my biggest obsession right now...

The 9 string guitar, well I am not to sure what to really do with it, most just kind of do the one finger flog thing in a drop tuning. I really like what Animals as Leaders does... I have to get it outfitted with better pickups, the Ibanez ones are trash.
That being said, yeah the 6 string still has a lot to say I think.

http://www.scottkerrmusic.com
http://www.youtube.com/Scottulus
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:31 pm
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

Man those chapman sticks are almost like a learning new instrument so are the 9 string guitars. I've played some 8 strings (as in trying not owned) and they are ok, not as hard to get used to, as people may think, but mostly I stick with the 6 shooter for now, but now that you mentioned that 9 string......

Of course the potential in any extra string will open up all kinds of crazy inversions but it is true that the one finger flog thing in drop tuning seems to be the main thing that occupies the time when more strings appear! Perhaps some unknown player emerges and shows the potential sooner or later.

Tosin Abasi is really good player and he does open up the possibilities of how versatile an 8 string can be! Perhaps he will start to use a 9 stringer?

I don't know what it is with Ibanez putting cheapo pickups in to their good axes? I would think that they would have some experience by now to know that it is not something that the buyer wants to find out and then has to put up with the extra work and pay.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:17 pm
by Ivan • 45 Posts

Hi Scottulus and Mr Gurgle

Nice to meet you guys :)
I don't even know what a chapman stick is!

Ive been playing exclusively in standard since I joined here and I'm slowly getting used to it. Started learning the CAGED system as per PB method and its great! I'm very much a beginner so everything is awesome to me right now lol.

Hope to see you guys around!

Music=Life
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:17 am
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

Nice to meet you too Ivan!

If you are interested to see what the Chapman stick looks like, I think Scottulus has one on his channel! It is basically a tap style string instrument. Both hands tap on the fretboard (think Stanley Jordan on the guitar, except added strings and range).

Good luck to you on your practicing and playing. Guitar is an awesome instrument and PB is a really good and thorough teacher. Info that you can now get easily is just priceless. Just stick with it and it pays dividends.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 26 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
795 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly