New to guitar

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 24, 2014 1:13 pm
by fleco • 7 Posts

Hey guys ,
I am just starting this journey into the world of guitar playing. I have a few questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. To start I respect Pebbers teaching style as he make sit easy to understand and learn. So I am going to stick with his lessons. I have been studying module 1 and 2,and would like to know how long should I study these before becoming a paid member? Second question is what do spider exercises really do? Third theory, I watched music theory part 1A I have a decent understanding of this. If I sign up will I be able to access the next part? If any of these questions have been already asked I do apologize. thanks!

Scroll up

RE: New to guitar

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 24, 2014 2:07 pm
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Quote: fleco wrote in post #1
Hey guys ,
I am just starting this journey into the world of guitar playing. I have a few questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds. To start I respect Pebbers teaching style as he make sit easy to understand and learn. So I am going to stick with his lessons. I have been studying module 1 and 2,and would like to know how long should I study these before becoming a paid member? Second question is what do spider exercises really do? Third theory, I watched music theory part 1A I have a decent understanding of this. If I sign up will I be able to access the next part? If any of these questions have been already asked I do apologize. thanks!

Welcome to the forum!!! Pebber is a fantastic teacher and there are lots of a very good guitar players who post in this forum. How fast you progress on guitar all depends on how much you practice. Following the module 1 video Pebber has on youtube is the best place to start. That will get you into using the pick properly(that is the first thing all players should learn, in my opinion). As well as that you should also watch Pebbers video "The basics of Trills" and work on that. And you should also watch Pebbers video on the chromatic scale(That will teach you how to use all 4 fingers of your fret hand on the guitar correctly) and work on that as well.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 25, 2014 10:19 am
by ashan • 190 Posts

once the basic videos mentioned above become easier to handle you should subscribe. his paid lessons are all play along videos. extremely useful!! and you'll get more out of them as you have to play along with them daily.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun May 25, 2014 3:37 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

but in a lot more detail to play along with,

Module two is at least two years work.

Spider exercises will help with dexterity/coordination.
You will get many music and guitar theory videos when you sign up.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K

Last edited Sun May 25, 2014 3:39 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 27, 2014 6:28 am

Quote: deltadiscos wrote in post #4
but in a lot more detail to play along with,

Module two is at least two years work.

Spider exercises will help with dexterity/coordination.
You will get many music and guitar theory videos when you sign up.

deltadiscos,
Alot of people will say......2 years is alongtime. But it's not.....The level of technique someone has with doing that for 2 years should be at a good level of technique. Having a good level of technique is important to be able to play all of the stuff guys like Eddie Van Halen, Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, Buckethead etc. can do. Learning that chromatic scale is a vital feature for playing guitar. If a player doesn't know how to do that properly that have no hope of learning the whole 3,4,5,6 NPS structure or the 14 position system.

The 14 position system isn't by no means the holy grail for guitar but it is the one that is used the most by all of the 3 NPS players. A player will also struggle to play add2/add9 chords as well......the triad ones like Andy Summers used and the 6th/7th diads as well.

The chromatic scale also gets a player used to playing position shifts too.

Last edited Tue May 27, 2014 6:29 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 27, 2014 8:13 am

Bottom line is this to the original poster. Without learning the things I mentioned in the above posts you will struggle to be able to play just about everything. You will eventually but it will take you a lot more time. I don't advise any new player to jump ahead. I took lessons when I first started out playing for a short time and it gave me a very good grounding as to the right way to learn.

Last edited Tue May 27, 2014 8:13 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 27, 2014 6:49 pm
by fleco • 7 Posts

Thanks everyone for responding! I know this will be a long journey, but I am glad I found Pebbers site first before I started getting into playing and "bad habits"

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 27, 2014 8:52 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

welcome to the forum, good direction can be found here to get you pointed towards whatever direction you want to go with your guitar playing, we may not have as many members here as some of the bigger forums like UG...but the well we drink from here has way more to offer than most of the bigger forums put together. Stick around abit, and I bet that you can benefit substantially from these here forums.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 401 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: