Eric Johnson/Joe Bonamassa Picking?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:37 am
by DapperDanMan • 4 Posts

Has anyone here mastered that Eric Johnson picking? JB learned it from EJ so he says and is absolutely crazy at it. It looks like a style of economy picking with alternate back picking on a lick. When he does a "shred" it's sounds like every note. Not just a hammer on/pull off.

Scroll up

RE: Eric Johnson/Joe Bonamassa Picking?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:34 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Eric Johnson brushes the pick across the string sometimes when he is alternate picking. He calls it "bounce picking." He's not driving the pick straight into the string but brushing the pick against the string.

And then he also does circle/scalpel picking that he learned from Howard Roberts. Pebber was taking lessons from Howard Roberts at the same time. I believe Howard showed Pebber and EJ scalpel picking around this time which Howard Roberts showed to all of his students I'm sure.

Eric Johnson does a lot of Howard Roberts type things and it's a shame he never mentions HR.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:35 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:35 pm
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Eric Johnson is a truly fantastic guitarist. I very much like the way he uses the pick although I haven't really tried to do it in that way. There are quite a few ways to approach using the pick. One player who has a really fantastic technique with the pick is Frank Gambale. Then there is the approach that Michael Angelo Batio has which is quite different to how most players use the pick. Shawn Lane once said that "John McLaughlin is the master at using the pick".

To the original poster, there are so many ways to approach to using the pick....I guess the the thing of it is to find the way which you feel the most comfortable with and also if you want to play fast is to find the way which is also the most efficient and most comfortable.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:53 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

So.....mcglaughlin in the supreme pick master he? It must be because all that circlulAR picking he uses and whatnot...ho hum...In all honesty I think i am tempted bout converting over to full blown junior shakti by just going and buying myself an acoustic and moving to an isolated mountaintop over india so that I might train myself in circular picking

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:56 am

Quote: NicholasJacquet wrote in post #4
So.....mcglaughlin in the supreme pick master he? It must be because all that circlulAR picking he uses and whatnot...ho hum...In all honesty I think i am tempted bout converting over to full blown junior shakti by just going and buying myself an acoustic and moving to an isolated mountaintop over india so that I might train myself in circular picking

I am only going by what a number of really top class players have said about John Mclaughlin's technique regarding the pick. Pebber I know has mentioned many times how highly he regards John Mclaughlin's technique with the pick. Like I said also in my post there are no end of players who have really get technique with using the pick.

Eddie Van Halen has huge amount of dynamics with the way he uses the pick, yet his approach to using the pick is he holds it with his thumb and middle finger and he then uses his index finger for doing tapped notes.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:49 pm
by DapperDanMan • 4 Posts

Guitar Player,

This is I believe is the only true way to get "good" at picking. I was fortunate enough to start out with bluegrass riffs as a youngster which use a lot of alternate picking methods and open strings. I agree that every guitarist should find his/her technique but not feel the need to mirror exactly other players picking methods. Joe Bonamassa has mastered EJ's picking very well but not his style.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Quote: DapperDanMan wrote in post #6
Guitar Player,

This is I believe is the only true way to get "good" at picking. I was fortunate enough to start out with bluegrass riffs as a youngster which use a lot of alternate picking methods and open strings. I agree that every guitarist should find his/her technique but not feel the need to mirror exactly other players picking methods. Joe Bonamassa has mastered EJ's picking very well but not his style.

As I mentioned earlier in this topic, it all really comes down to what is comfortable to the player. There are a whole bunch of ways to use the pick. It is a big subject. The players I mentioned are guitarists who I consider to have very good control with the pick and very are efficient. I don't consider anyone of the players to be right or wrong but they all have gotten good results in the way they use/hold the pick.

Myself, i use alternate picking and I try to stick to strict alternate picking(my picking technique isn't in great shape at the moment due to lack of practice). Something to consider as well is what type of pick you use. I use the 2 mm Dunlop picks myself which are very heavy but they have a very strong attack.

It all comes down to what a player feels comfortable with. If you strongly believe a certain way is the correct way for you to use the pick then go for it and stick with it until you get the result(s) you desire using that particular method.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:56 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I feel compeled to make perhaps one or two clarifying points what thing i mentioned earlier...1.)Mclaughlins picking style is NOT the same thing that people seem to call the circle picking; the statement "it must be all that circular picking he uses" is not accurate, not intended to be taken seriously; I had just been reading some posts in multiple guitar/jazz forums where everyone was talking bout how what John uses is clearly "circular picking". I would tell just about everybody to go look up pebbers content specifically concerning sarod...Because in fact, J.M is the best picker around, and his playing style is built upon a sarodic foundation.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 15 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
221 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly