RE: Scottulus Dares you. Dares YOU!!!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:40 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Nice work Scott! Great progress on an unfamiliar picking technique.

Here's me at 68bpm. Man, the string crossing is definitely an issue for me. What I'm most interested in here is feedback on my new pair of glasses that I just picked up today.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:56 pm
by student • 146 Posts

well unable to post (some issue with uploading to my youtube account).
anyway, my stats:
Did not hit my goal of 60 bpm, i ended up getting a recording done at 50 bpm( i could only get 40 right off the bat ). I ended up with about 4 hours of practice just on this exercise this week.

Lessons learned:
minimize pick attack motion
what I can expect for improvement in a 1 week timespan. i think in order to get the 60 bpm i would have needed another 12-16 hours on it.

Comments:
my timing sucks!

Don't listen to me
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:19 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Very nice Damon. I like that fast picking and clean tone.

Cliff, nice glasses haha. I find it difficult to change the strings while picking fast too. I think I should put a small suggestion on your fretting hand. Your fretting hand looks very weak in the video, your fingers don't look nice, tight and curved. I have noticed that Damon has his almost parallel to the frets and Scott too. I always try to keep my fretting fingers curved and pointing towards me or at least parallel to the frets. Your fingers are almost pointing away from you. Thanx to Ursin for helping me correct my fretting hand.

My last weeks video was at 56 and this time I tried at 59. Well, this is actually a fail video instead of a progress video I guess haha. I couldn't practice much, probably about 2 hours. Anyways, I tried and I still can't concentrate on 10 notes per beat. I guess I should slow down haha.

I don't know if something is wrong with my computer or youtube. I hear the audio don't see the video.

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:05 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Cliff & Diego, looks good to me sirs.

Cliff, yeah, I don't know what to say regarding Diego's comment on your left hand. I noticed that too, but I honestly don't know what the long run ramifications are if you keep that angle. It looks like the angle is an artifact of you keeping your left arm almost pinned to your body. If there was a little space between your arm and body, I bet the hand angle changes. Again though, I don't know whether that's good or bad.

Diego, nice job man. Your video played fine. Nines and tens are tough. To get the sound of nines in my head, I listened to Jeff Beck's scatterbrain a lot. I love that song. I can't say I've noticed too much of straight tens but I'm sure someone has done it. I suppose listening to anyone that plays a lot of fives (Eric Johnson) would do the trick. If you have an example of straight tens, let us see it will you?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:54 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Damon, Diego - thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure I understand. I thought I had a pretty good left hand now, with minimal movement and a good stretch. My fingers are typically curved too. Which part of the fingers do you mean should be pointing towards me? The knuckles, the tips?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:02 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Oh, I think maybe I understand. The angling comes about because I'm using my first finger as a barre to damp the other strings. I just watched your new challenge Damon, and saw how you're using the tip of just your first finger (as well as the others). So the tips are pointing directly into the fretboard and towards you the player? I was confused and thinking about the tips pointing along the length of the fretboard towards the picking hand.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:22 am
by ashan • 190 Posts

attempt 1 at 58. sounds very sloppy

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:01 am

Hi Cliff
I am sorry for the confusion. I don't mean that you have a bad left hand technique. I mean that you can play way better if you correct your left hand posture. I have sent you a private message on here. Please respond to that. I guess it would't be nice to flood this thread by two people talking back and forth haha.

-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

at 66 bpm

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:58 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Ashan - awesome work, man!

Diego - sorry, I didn't see your post until today. I checked my PMs, and don't see a message from you. No harm done: I certainly didn't take offense, and am always happy to receive constructive criticism.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:12 pm

Cliff- I guess I forgot to send you one last time. I just sent you one some minutes ago.

I have a little improvement in counting 9 and 10 notes per beat now inside my head. Little bit improvement in picking too but not perfect yet. Tempo same as last time. Some improvement in picking, and I changed my pick from JazzIII XL Series to Dava

-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:48 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

good stuff diego. though i hear your tempo going a bit stray when your ascending the scale. descending sounds perfect enough for me. i'm not the one to advice on this as im a beginner at this myself. and respect to you for trying 9s and 10s. i still haven't even tried to figure that count.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
647 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly