Guitar technique Olympics!!!!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:36 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

I had a really cool idea for this thread that poped into my head about 2 minutes ago....ok.....The point of this thread is for people to post up a vid that they feel reflects their technique....but I guess whatever people wanna post they are gonna post....oh well....Anyway after a reasonable period of time if think it seems reasonable for a olympiad to be picked by poplular consensus by the merit of their technique...teqcnique is what we are after here...and I hope that well get an entry or two from a one of the technical heavy wieght shaolin guitar jedis that I know are in this forum...So hit the woodshed and start posting!

Requirements
1.) Solid technique...(not hack blues guitar tech)
2.) Any post should reflect your pride in your technique...so something that you have worked yourself to the bone on would be most desired....but the point here is the incentivize people to really get technique on the brain!

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---

Last edited Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:43 am | Scroll up

RE: Guitar technique Olympics!!!!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:02 am

obviously music is not a contest* the whole point of this thread is not to win/lose in a contest but...rather it is to get all the people here excited about the long lost art of the guitar technique.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:52 am
by Tom (deleted)

Well, if it were a special olympics, maybe I'd go for gold! :-) My much wiser friend pointed out to be a while back when we were talking technique that Vinnie Moore has fantastic alternate picking in this video but looks like he moves the whole arm. Took me a couple of months to realize what he was talking about -- to do what comes naturally to you.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:11 am
by JoelMedina • 72 Posts

I actually like this idea! My suggestion though would be to have a couple passages for people to choose from that are technically demanding so we have a standard to measure up against.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:11 pm

CThe Chromatic Form.... 1234/5678/9101112 1211109/8765/4321....thats it!

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:12 pm

So simple...but so HARD!

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 am
by JoelMedina • 72 Posts

I'll give it a go when I get home \m/

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:58 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Then maybe as Olympics you need a rating system. 16th notes.

140bpm Bronze
180bpm silver
200+bpm gold

or something like that

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:42 pm

the purity of the technique i think should be the measure...Pebber said the chromatic form is true test of how good someones technique is...I think setting up a certain speed as the objective places the onus on the wrong end...rather, strive to make the technical purity of it 100%... a perfectly tight chromatic form that would give Pebber a run for his $$$... I guess thats what matters for myself rating such things...I guess that would be a "gold"

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Also lest fall into to err =or of misquoting Pebber, let me adjust what i said to "the chromatic form IS how you can know how good a person's technique is" I dont know if that makes it the purest test or not but uh....

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:03 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

In whatever "events" people end up doing, I suggest that any contestant that plays out-of-time or at an inaudible volume be disqualified from the event. Who cares if someone looks pure if they don't SOUND pure?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:29 am

I agree...But I dont get why people have past given me a hard time about being out of sync with a click that was going on when just learning sarod...during a time when I have to use 100% of my focus powers just to allign the frequencies of each hand to one frequency ...The whole idea being that at that point all thats left to do is shift the one frequency that has both hands locked into it up or down until it happens to overlap with the click that had been running. Obviously at this point I know what 1-10 "feel" like. I dont really care if others beleive that I hold and posses those rhythms in my noggin and know what they feel like...because I know that I do...And thats all that really matters to me in the end...

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Last edited Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:31 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:01 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Didn't mean to upset anyone. Just meant to keep the focus on what we're all ultimately trying to achieve--music that sounds good.

If this is who can sarod the fastest or scalpel the fastest or wrist pick the fastest, I think it's lame and probably wouldn't participate. No biggie.

If this is "hey look at me, i'm going super fast but i don't have it in time yet," then I think it's lame and probably wouldn't participate. No biggie.

If this is who can play a particular exercise or musical passage, using ANY technique so long as it's in time and clean, then I may participate here and there because this is already part of a good practice routine.

Given nearly all of us will be able to play almost anything in time and clean AT SOME SPEED, I think this is why Delta had the idea of speed being the tie-breaker. Some licks/patterns sound better fast, but some just don't. So I agree that speed isn't always a great 'tie-breaking' metric.

Oh, and while I doubt the "big three" on this forum will participate all that much (if at all), if they did we might want to have medals for the top losers starting with 4th place

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:22 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Yes my medal system was a little tongue in cheek..i'm not even sure they would be considered slow or fast..
but yes technique wise what would be looking at correct finger placement.
minimal sliding of notes.
timing correct.
Hey maybe a medal for the slowest as that is the hard part
???

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K

Last edited Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:23 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 am

I must be the only one here who finds it actually quite technically challanging to create what is a totally seemless and (most importantly) a comfortable chromatic form...that Most melodious of scale forms...

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:22 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

You guys missed out on my contest already!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:41 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Oh man this takes me back! The greatest of all PB Youtube videos!!!! The best! This shit was really classic. Didn't Paul even email you about this one? Hilarious stuff. What happened to me was, when I hit San Bernadino I was about to go up the 215 but I got flagged down by some meth head tweakers in a winnebago. That held me up and I lost time.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:45 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

When Frakh was in Rancho Cucamonga I heard some bizarre shit went down at a holy roller church. I think he had to take the bus back.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:27 am
by JoelMedina • 72 Posts

I'm going to film myself doing the Pebber Brown speed challenge. I'll make sure to buy an analog clock ;)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:54 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Meth head tweakers in Winnebago from San Bernardino? Take away all the bikers and thats whats left of the entire population!!San-Bernardino-Meth-Lab.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
46 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly