Tapping Thread

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 23, 2013 9:39 am
by uderoche (deleted)

-Ursin

Last edited Thu May 23, 2013 3:44 pm | Scroll up

RE: Tapping Thread

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Oooh, this thread has the makings for excellence. Can't wait to see it develop. In the meantime, I have to mute that f*&king G-string. Guess I have to find a better position for my tapping hand. For trills, are we aiming for 2+ minutes for our tapping fingers too? I worked up to sextuplets at 140, but definitely not for 2+ minutes. I suppose I know what the answer is already...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 23, 2013 4:23 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

With trills I started at 2mins back in the day in every permutation. Then 5mins. 10mins. And so on. These days I'll do 15mins on one finger if I have the time. 10mins each finger/permutation BARE MINIMUM is what we're shooting for.

-Ursin

Last edited Thu May 23, 2013 4:24 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 23, 2013 4:58 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Yeah, why did I expect any different than the fretting hand? Yikes, gotta go practice.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 23, 2013 6:19 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

Yes, this thread will be awesome before the end...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Awesome vid, Ursin - thanks for posting it. In all these years it never occurred to me to mute with my right hand while tapping. Now I know :)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 24, 2013 9:24 am
by uderoche (deleted)

No problem dudes. We'll continue with more of this. Takes a while to get it down. The muting is definitely an issue as with most things on guitar when playing with gain/fuzz/distortion/volume.

If you're not following me on twitter @ursinderoche or haven't liked my Facebook page www.facebook.com/UrsinDeRoche please do.

-Ursin
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri May 24, 2013 9:43 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

I could be the last person on the planet not on Facebook, but I 'liked' you through my wife's account. No clue what that does but if it let's me know when I can buy your music, well then sweet.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 25, 2013 7:32 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

nice guitar BTW Ursin, what specific Musicman model is it?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat May 25, 2013 8:28 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: NicholasJacquet wrote in post #10
nice guitar BTW Ursin, what specific Musicman model is it?

It's the Silhouette model

Twitter @ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/UrsinDeRoche
YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 27, 2013 6:03 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts
You DONT leave trills and Sarod behind. Not ever. You EMBED those techniques into scale practicing and melodic phrase practicing. For one I did the trills for a long time (please note that a "long time" for me is over 8 years minimum!) and then later when I felt I needed to see a psychiatrist I then started to do trills with SCALES. Now I see I have to do a video for you guys on how to do that!

You take a simple G major scale say Pos 1. Ok? Right? If you guys dont know that then go back and learn that at least.
OK so take a Pos 1 G scale then on the 6th string, trill frets 2 and 3, then trill frets 2 and 5. Then on the 5th string, trill frets 2 and 3 then frets 2 and 5, then on the 4ths string trill frets 2 and 4, then frets 2 and 5, then on the 3rd string trill frets 2 and 4 then frets 2 and 5. Then, on the 2nd string trill frets 3 and 5, then on the 1st string trill frets 2 and 3 then frets 3 and 5.

Then repeat this process going the opposite way starting on the 1st string to the 6th.

This will accomplish similar results as the original trill exercise but wont be so gnarly on your anxiety level as you can use these
trills in phrases when you start soloing with scales.

Second way is to do the same thing but this time instead of trilling 2 and 5 on the 6th string, trill 3 and 5.
so it looks like this:

6 - 2-3, 3-5
5 - 2-3, 3-5
4 - 2-4, 4-5 yeah the pinky trill fuck you
3 - 2-4, 4-5
2 - 3-5
1- 2-3, 3-5

then create a combo scale/trill exercise:

6 - 2-3, 3-5, 2-5
5 - 2-3, 3-5, 2-5
4 - 2-4, 4-5, 2-5
3 - 2-4, 4-5, 2-5
2 - 3-5
or substitute as (1-3, 3-5, 1-5 if you want/will)
1 - 2-3, 3-5, 2-5.

and then back.

This workout is as effective as any and you can USE these ideas when playing solos.

Now do it in all 14 Positions in all 12 keys and then
do it in all 14 positions of Melodic Minor and Harmonic Minor in
all 12 keys.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts
Yes i hardly touch module one wait before you say WHAT! you must do module 1

I am really getting into the major currently on E major three to go (and you think module one was tedious )

so I start by picking E major on one string with timing then two, three, notes per beat ect (single string picking similar to neo patterns).

then two adjacent strings the same as above ( adj Picking)
three four stings

then non adjacent Still using E major scale (non adjacent Picking)

then after running through the whole scale with timing double triple picking
then all sequences get some good hybrid picking going with these
then move on to trilling the shape two three noes per string, then trilling over two strings and between shapes,, so may patterns
find these harder on the hand than the trills in one position, finish with picking patterns and coils
so not really leaving module one behind just integrating it into the shapes then into improv i

Oh how i long for that scale tone form system..

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 30, 2013 6:20 pm
by dlraben • 278 Posts
Here's where I'm am with exercises 1 & 2. My tapping hand is already stronger than my fretting hand, which has trouble keeping up in many places.

http://youtu.be/i1RBoIwRiAk
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 30, 2013 6:51 pm
by uderoche (deleted)
That's it bro! You're getting there. Great workout for the fretting hand. Classic EVH style tapping. This is good stuff to work on to get the tapping basics down. And it sounds cool.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:55 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Hey guys,

Here's my attempt at tapping exercise 1, plus some related stuff:

I haven't practiced this as much as I should have done, but thought I'd show my progress anyway. What I'd like to be able to do here is to move quickly/cleanly between the fourth and fifth positions on every right-hand tap (just like the end of Eruption). Not quite there yet. (I haven't had a chance to practice Ex 2, and my cold attempt at it sounded terrible.)

Last week I learned the notes to the Crazy Train solo. I've obviously got a long way to go, but I thought I'd include it since it has an interesting tapping variation at the start. This is in groups of six, with the lead note from the right hand, followed by a pinky-first-pinky-first-pinky trill. The trills towards the end are also something I'm working on. In his vid about trill practice, Pebber says to do most work with the harder combinations (2nd + 3rd, 2nd + 4th and 3rd + 4th). In order to play this Rhoads-style lick, I thought I'd make practicing the simpler combinations more challenging by moving them up and down the neck. As you can see - this strategy has yet to pay off ;)

Following this, I've included a ham-fisted and slow attempt to the tapping section of Spanish Fly. Ursin - I for one would be very happy if in a future tapping lesson you showed how to cleanly move between strings without all of the awful noise I seem to be producing.

Finally, a bit of legato work. This tapping thread reminded me how important legato is to this kind of music, so I thought I'd brush up on it. Still working on getting a good clean sound when descending. And, as you can hear, I have a lot of work to do on damping the other strings.

Critique away!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:25 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Hats off Cliff. Nice attempt. Start doing a lot of trills to build up that left hand. Also, watch the bending.

You are right! A lot of legato! Good workout for the left hand. Do as much trilling as you can and it will improve!

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:59 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Thanks, man - you can be sure there'll be more trill practice for me :).

(Every time I bend a note, my wife feels obliged to come into the bedroom and pull a face to let me know it's out of tune...)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:45 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Here's a good vid of EVH doing lots of tapping. There are plenty of closeups where you can see his technique:

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:41 am
by K Kromp • 27 Posts

I recorded a video containing ursins tapping figures(the full roll was new to me), and variations with double tab(randy rhoads style variation) and 2 fingers on the right hand( sloppy style variation^^) i fucked up a lot of times in this haha

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:46 pm

Sounds great Kromp really clear and even, time to start moving accross the strings.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: K Kromp wrote in post #20
I recorded a video containing ursins tapping figures(the full roll was new to me), and variations with double tab(randy rhoads style variation) and 2 fingers on the right hand( sloppy style variation^^) i fucked up a lot of times in this haha

Cool! Start off slow with the frethand parallel with the fingerboard, thumb behind the neck and a lot of space between the end of the neck and the palm of the hand. Try to keep the frethand fingers as close to the fingerboard as you can and try to keep the 4th finger as close to the string as you can when you pull it off. Trills and ladder exercises every day will help this.

We will take a look at moving to the different strings and sliding around.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:14 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

"and a lot of space between the end of the neck and the palm of the hand"

So much wisdom in this one little phrase! Only now am I finding this out for myself.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:22 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

^^ On that. Are there situations where we can, or actually should, lightly anchor the palm of our fretting hand on the neck for added stability/accuracy/cleanliness? While having space is something I too see as necessary like 99% of the time, I seem to do much better anchoring it where my fretting hand index finger meets the palm in certain circumstances. This video illustrates where on the hand I seem to anchor it, and a situation that I simply can't come close to playing without anchoring it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:50 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I see. I try to always hold the hand parallel to the fingerboard. Steve is using "rock hand" here and, it works very well for him! He was always one of my favorites. My hand will turn like this...usually for bending. I do understand what you are saying. Some of these pull off licks are difficult to do with the classical technique but, if you practice them that way, they can be easily done.

In fact, Pebber would always tell me my left hand was crap! So, I intentionally said to myself, "I am going to play everything with classical left hand technique, no matter what it is." And, so I did that for a long time. I use "rock hand" every now and then, but if I do, it's on purpose and not by accident. My hand WANTS to go to classical form. I have to PURPOSELY make it go into "rock hand" mode. Classical form is now my default and "rock hand" is something I use for bending or a few other things here and there but on purpose, not by accident or not because I cannot play them with the classical technique, I just choose not to for a myriad of reasons. Anyway, this lick Steve is playing can be easily played with the classical form with practice and I would suggest just that.

Also, Steve brings up some very good points here about visualization, musical meditation, etc.

Funny, because I teach kids who will say "teach me a song" but they don't listen to any music!!! How can you play a blues lick if you've never listened to the blues? How can you play sarod if you've never listened to McLaughlin or the Indian classical musicians???

So, listening to music should be a priority for everyone everyday of your life.

I HATE when people cover Hendrix. It always sounds like shit to me. But, I'm trying to cover "All Along The Watchtower." Just a personal thing I have. I can play the song, no problem...but I don't want to play the notes. It almoist has NOTHING to do with the actual notes. I want to channel a vibe. It's not Jimi's vibe...but it's the vibe I get whenever I hear that tune. What is the vibe? For me, I get this feeling of struggle and ferocious energy. I think that feeling of STRUGGLE and ENERGY is conveyed in the tune by the guitar playing and lyrics but more so THE DELIVERY of those notes from the late 60's to the present to your ears by Hendrix from the great beyond.

So, I have been listening to a lot of Hendrix to try my best to TRANSLATE the vibe I feel to the people in the audience when I play it.

You have to think in your head of what kind of guitarist you want to be. Close your eyes and imagine you are on stage at a big sold out theater. Place is packed and ready to see YOU! Your band walks on stage and starts the first song. You walk onto the stage to cheers!

What do you look like? What do you sound like? What is the vibe you are conveying?

Imagine that and then start working towards that.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Learning on one of these would certainly help the right hand. for two hand tapping.
Chapman Stick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2Pr3Imfwcg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x98M4OrOZII

Great to listen to if nothing else

Oh and one more
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbdmzIVRNxs

Last edited Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:07 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
295 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 344) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly