New guitar day!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:57 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Hey all,
I just picked this up at the Marin Guitar Show. I've been waiting 9 months for it, and I'm over the moon. I just had to share :)

The body wood is burled maple, on an aluminium frame. Neck is birdseye maple and wenge, and the fretboard is birdseye maple. It plays beautifully, though the scalloping will take a little getting used to:

Last edited Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:59 pm | Scroll up

RE: New guitar day!

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:00 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

Dang It looks like its alive!!!

Last edited Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:01 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:10 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Yeah - guess it's a love it or hate it sort of thing. Me, I love it. And it plays *so* well - far better than my others.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:39 pm
by Tom (deleted)

That's a wicked looking thing! I like it! I'm sitting around moping waiting for my delayed ESP E-II.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:50 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

I know how that feels - I originally expected this back in January. It's totally worth the wait, though - I'm sure yours will be too. ESPs are really nice.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:24 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Man... that Spalt is awesome! I have been humming and hawing over ordering one... looks cool, I can't wait to hear you post some stuff! How much was that if you don't mind me asking? How was the purchase process?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:22 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

Awesome! Loved the playing, cool tones man. Really dug 'Panama'.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:08 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Thanks man. I was very nervous playing it - only had it an hour or so - and you can hear that clearly in the vid. Also, the scalloping was giving me some problems with chords and tuning. I'm getting used to it now, and extremely happy with how it plays and sounds.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:22 pm
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

lol Yeah, I have a YJM strat that I play a lot, full scallops too, and it's a bit of getting used to for sure, lol plus I'm sort of a heavy handed player which doesn't help much hahaha

Yeah, really cool axe.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:09 am
by Scottulus • 222 Posts

lol The more I look at your guitar, the more I want one.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:36 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

You should go for it. I'm *really* happy with it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:49 am
by Tom (deleted)

(Quietly: No thread-hijack, but I got my ESP/E-II the other day. Best guitar I've ever played. I've not played a lot of high-end guitars besides Ibanez Universe and that flowery-Jem.)

Last edited Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:49 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:56 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Let's see a vid of it then!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:48 am
by Tom (deleted)

This one's for you, Cliff:

http://tinypic.com/r/6ny0l3/5

That's the only 30 seconds I managed to pull off without missing that much beat. Lamb of God riff first, some intermission-kinda-riff, and my favorite Meshuggah-riff at the end. I don't perform solos. I just practice for the day I will! Doing this video, I found my old AmpliTube-settings on the Mac is not what I want with the new guitar (the preset sounds a bit hollow), so I've got to sit down and figure out some new settings.

I record video on Windows and sound on Mac. I click start record video and then start record audio, so piecing together the two gets done manually in Windows. Thus it's out of sync until I find a webcam that works hasslefree on Mac.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:42 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Hey Tom - that sounds great! I particularly liked the last riff - is that a Mesa Rectifier emulation?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:40 pm
by Tom (deleted)

The software is basically a program that contains amplifiers, pedals, effects, and all that. Then people piece and chain these together to create different tones. I there's actually a Mesa Rectifier preset in there as well, but there's hundreds and hundreds of presets. You can configure the different stompboxes, cabinets, and what not. Literally tons of settings, so it's all Greek to a gear-newbie like myself. I download presets and try them out. I am very picky with the type of sound I want, and lots of the settings are too extreme/processed for my liking, but when I find a good foundation, I'll sit and twist and turn knobs and stuff in there. I spent something like a day cluelessly twisting the knobs to get a decent sound out of my Ibanez, and using the same setting did not turn out nearly as brutal on the ESP/E-II. It's called Amplitube 3 and there's lots of links on YouTube -- I was not allowed to post links in this thread: "Your posts contains to many links. A maximum of 0 links is allowed.".

I connect the guitar to the computer via the Apogee Jam piece of hardware from guitar to USB.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:19 pm
by Funk Monk • 9 Posts

The aluminum must give it good sustain. I remember Kramer used to have a guitar with a Aluminum Neck/Headstock, I thought it looked very unique.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:40 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Yep, it certainly does have good sustain. A couple of my others are not so great on the 12-15th frets on the E and B strings, but this one is fine there. I think in part that's just down to better fretwork (I have my action pretty low).

There's also the Jackson Roswell Rhoads, whose body is made out of aluminium. They're pretty rare (and pricey).

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:47 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Hi
I bought a new guitar Jackson Kelly KEXTMG and it arrived yesterday and I am having one problem. So this guitar sounds off on the high E 24th fret. I am not sure if it is the intonation problem or the 24th fret is off or may be it is just my ears. I am going to have the return the guitar if the fret is off and that is going to suck because I am going to trade my other two guitars at guitar center tomorrow and i won't have a guitar to practice for few days. Please advise.

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:42 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Disclaimer: I'm no expert :).

Have you looked it with a tuner to see how far out it is? My ears aren't the greatest, but it didn't seem to me like there was too much difference between the harmonic at the 24th fret and the fretted note at the 24th. It does sound like it's not articulating very well, however. From my limited understanding, if the harmonic and fretted note at the 12th note match, that's about as good as you can get intonation wise.

A couple of avenues to explore. You could try jcfonline.com, which is a forum dedicated to Jackson and Charvels. It's a very active forum with lots of knowledgeable members. I'd definitely ask advice there. It may be someone has the same guitar and it's a known issue.
Also, if you're going to guitar center, don't they all have set-up services? It might be worth asking them to take a look.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:48 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: diegopaudyal wrote in post #19
Hi
I bought a new guitar Jackson Kelly KEXTMG and it arrived yesterday and I am having one problem. So this guitar sounds off on the high E 24th fret. I am not sure if it is the intonation problem or the 24th fret is off or may be it is just my ears. I am going to have the return the guitar if the fret is off and that is going to suck because I am going to trade my other two guitars at guitar center tomorrow and i won't have a guitar to practice for few days. Please advise.

The intonation sounds very off to me at the 24th fret. This is a common problem with overseas guitars. That guitar is made in China I believe. Shitty fretwork. Japanese guitars are usually amazing and of course U.S. guitars are prized all over the world... then you get a very steep drop-off in quality after that. Just my opinion by the way. Could be a number of problems really. They do all sorts of things to those guitars like putting shims under the nut or in the neck pocket of bolt on guitars because they don't feel like setting them up properly. Any credible luthier should be able to fix it.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:52 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:07 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Fretted note sound much higher to me if the intonation is fine at the twelfth fret cant see changing the intonation solving it but allways worth a try. you sure you not pressing too hard on the fretted note?

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:40 am
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Yeah i guess that's the problem with Chinese guitars. btw i like this guitar more than the js1000 I have. It is very comfortable to play while standing and sitting. My picking hand starts hurting if i play js1000 for 5 minutes but I can play this guitar for hours without any pain. I guess that is because of the body shape. I am not fretting too hard on the fretted note. I will take this guitar to guitar center as well today.

Thank you guys.

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:23 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

So much for my sense of pitch. I guess that explains why my bends are so bad :).

I agree with Ursin about the Japanese and American guitars. All the low-end Jacksons I've tried at GC have been pretty poor, but the Japanese ones are great value for money. If you can return yours, it might be worth looking on Ebay or craigslist for a used Japanese model at about the same price point.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 8 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 229 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: