Guitar Volume: Cranked or Rolled Back?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:09 am
by jimiclaptoncarl • 117 Posts

I'm curious as to what you guys do with your guitar volume...do you keep it on 10 then set your amp & pedal volume...or do you roll it back some then set your amp/pedals? The second choice I guess would work to boost for leads...

If you roll it back, how much to you turn it down? Any benefits to keeping it cranked?

I have been experimenting lately with amp settings and this came into mind...

Thanks

"Let's face it, you SUCK; now what are you going to do about it?" - Dick Grove

Practice not just until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong.

Stay fit and eat healthy; die anyways. :p

MY GEAR:
Epiphone 2007 Les Paul Standard
Ibanez AEF30E Acoustic/Electric
Fender 2008 MIM Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider ll 30watt
Epiphone Studio 10s 19watt
Digitech RP300A

jimiclaptoncarl

Scroll up

RE: Guitar Volume: Cranked or Rolled Back?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:21 am
by robmurtha • 94 Posts

I would say it partially depends on your instrument, some of the better circuits have no loss when turning down volume, others lose tone. One thing that irritates me about the clapton strat is there is a 25db boost but not all pedals can handle it. I like to reserve about 20% if I'm cranked into a hot amp.

Scroll up

RE: Guitar Volume: Cranked or Rolled Back?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:22 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

The volume knob is part of your total technique. Thats one thing that you should really master if you want to be more expressive. I personally tend to have it ALL OVER THE PLACE pending the type of thing that I am playing. Even on solos I dont crank it to 10 until the most serious part of the solo where I need some screaming sustain then it gets backed off to 8 right away...

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
825 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly