I recommend trilling with a tuner

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:46 am
by student • 146 Posts

With all this practice hand strength is increasing. Today I was trilling and was thinking fuck does my guitar sound like shit. I put on capo on 1st fret of 6 string and I see that it is @ F sharp. I thought my intonation was fucked. I put on a capo and saw that it is at F. Turns out I have to let up. Pebber is making our hands turn into these Force Grippy Bear Trap Killing Machines. With this new skill of mine I am going to choke out some people that have pissed me off

Last edited Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:47 am | Scroll up

RE: I recommend trilling with a tuner

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:05 pm
by student • 146 Posts

EDIT above:
I put ON CAPO on 1st fret of 6 string and I see that it is @ F sharp.

Should read:
I put TUNER on 1st fret of 6 string and I see that it is @ F sharp.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:29 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I like the idea of choking out a few people that piss you off. That made my day!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:47 pm
by student • 146 Posts

Well after messing around with the tuner attached, I found that for the most part I am not exactly in tune. My guitar's intonation is pretty good, I took the capo across all frets and it was no more than 1/24 step off. I have been applying way too much force.

I use daddario 10-46 on my strat and just ordered daddario 11-49 blues/jazz strings to help with this. I read on other forums having a heavier gauge can help with your notes getting to sharp. It also sounds like people can get more tone out of these. If I end up liking these it should help, but if I don't I am going to have to relearn how much pressure to apply and play with a tuner on. This will suck because I think it will take a long time to get this down, however I think that is the only solution.

Anyone else experience this?
Any strat players on here(I have a rosewood fretboard)? If so, what strings do you use ?

Last edited Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:03 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:27 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I teach beginner and intermediate students all day every day 52 weeks a year and most of them squeeze the shit out of the strings way to hard putting the chords out of tune. Usually I have to explain it to them repeatedly 40 times in a row for over a month before they begin to pay attention to correcting it. Some take months to pay attention.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:55 pm
by ferretwraith • 14 Posts

I had much enthusiasm about trying thicker strings on my strat (this one to be specific http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Delux...609-i1147157.gc ). I ultimately went back to 9-42s because I found 4 packs for $15 and I honestly didn't notice a difference between 9-42 and 10-46s (still have 3 packs of 10-46s with no D strings). When I tried to go any thicker, the grooves in the nut proved to be too small, making the open strings not in tune with the notes going up the neck.

After looking for nut files online, I determined I was just wasting time, and would stick with the string gauges already used by thousands of incredibly good players around the world rather than focus on one story about how SRV would use 13s and superglue his finger tips so they wouldn't bleed or whatever nonsense it was that inspired me to try to change up the string thickness in the first place.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:37 pm
by Denny (deleted)

To ferretwraith....

42-9 is plenty enough if you are tuning to A440. I wouldn't tune to E flat with 42-9. If I was using 46-10 I'dd tune to E flat(then capo 1st fret to tune to A440). Point being we all have our own ideas of what is the "RIGHT" way to approach things. This forum is excellent. Pebber is an amazing mentor on guitar. He doesn't bullshit people. He is very honest and to the point. Peber is also a great guitar player. L.ook at all the lessons he has done for Free! Sure he may insult people....BIG
DEALIO. He teaches people from a strictly academic discipline. The 5 position system is also used by Steve Lynch of Autograph. Steve Lynch won 1985's solo of the
year for "Turn up the Radio". Yeap, I know my stuff.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 321 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: