Visited local teacher. Need your advise.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 11, 2017 6:40 am
by Zvono • 7 Posts

Hello all!
I'm a new user on this board and English is not my native language so i'm sorry to bother you with it.
I picked up a guitar, found Pebber's YT channel and got told that i suck and i really liked it. So i watched alot and wrote down most of his music theory lessons and started with picking excercises and chromatic scales. Drifted into pentatonic and so on. I practiced for 1 month so far and i'm really happy with those excercises because i feel that i'm slowly improving which is alot of fun. So i seeked out a local guitar teacher to get a second opinion of a professional face to face too.
He wrote in his biography that he plays for 27years and studied in munich and i the usa and all that stuff so i was very positive but then this happend.

When i got there i of course told him that i'm a beginner, and that i know nothing yet, only a bit of usic theory and picking excercises and some left hand excercises i learned on youtube (didn't tell him i learned from Pebber).
And he told me that i started wrong, that those would be excercises for advanced students who are 2 or 3 years in his programm and told me that it's interesting that i started early with music theory but should not continue picking excercises and scales and instead learn chords and rythm first.
I was very upset at that, because i have alot of fun doing those excercises and especially the pentatonics sound so nice while doing them that i would feel it'll be very wrong to drop them.
He then asked me to play something i know. And i showed him the C M pentatonic scale, of course i messed up because i got nervous but i corrected those mistakes and he just sat there and told me that i played a simple melody.

We then talked about what i wanted to achive and my main goal is to be able to improvise and play anything i can hear on the guitar or write down songs and translate them into being able to be played with the guitar alone. He told me that this is a very far away goal and i'm of course very aware of that. He all in all was very sceptical and was suprised that i started that early with alternate picking excercises and wants me to learn chords only for now so i can work on playing songs....

My goal is not to cover songs forever... i want to play something. I want it to sound good with the right technique.
What should i do? Stick to Pebber and maybe subscribe to Pebber or go with the local teacher and learn picking and left hand scales later on?

Excuse me for my bad English and long Text

Last edited Thu May 11, 2017 6:40 am | Scroll up

RE: Visited local teacher. Need your advise.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 11, 2017 12:35 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Hi Zvono, and welcome.

First, there's nothing at all wrong with your English. It's very clear. So don't worry about that.

Next, if I were you I would go forth with my goals. As one who played the guitar for twenty years before finding Pebber and subscribing, I'd tell you that I learned a lot of songs but I didn't understand really anything about the instrument, and that really limited me.

Within about 6 months of paying attention to Pebber and music theory I started being able to improvise almost anything I want and not be afraid to make something that sounds bad, and then just adjust it.

After subscribing and working on Pebber's right hand and left hand exercises, everything else I did on guitar became easier, tighter, and just better.

So personally, I would take any money I was going to pay the local teacher and pay it instead to Pebber.

Now for my less-mature response. :)

It sounds to me like that instructor is: trying to limit you to chords in the beginning to prolong your lessons and therefore his income; or limiting you to chords because that's all he knows how to teach; or is limiting you to chords because he genuinely thinks it's a better approach.

I have tried both and prefer Pebber's approach. But I say to go with what you prefer and think will help you more.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 16, 2017 10:52 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Zvono, and Welcome to the Forum!!

You are in the right place, my friend, and your English is very good!!! I agree with Farelli's statements 100%, and let me share my story:

--- I played guitar, completely self-taught, for 20 YEARS, before I discovered Pebber on YouTube.

--- I, too, discovered that I sucked! I had terrible habits and poor technique

--- Since I discovered Pebber, not only has my playing and technique improved dramatically, but my confidence continues to grow. There is ALWAYS something to learn on guitar. There is ALWAYS something to improve upon.

--- I have NEVER had the need to seek out another instructor, other than Pebber.

As Farelli said, you need to make the ultimate decision, but for some guy to say that you are "learning wrong" is not only an insult, it is completely NOT TRUE! If I were that teacher, I would encourage you to keep developing your skills. This guy wants to put an idea in your head that you REALLY need his help,,,but you DO NOT NEED HIM.

Save your money and stick with Pebber. 20 YEARS from now, you will thank me!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 17, 2017 11:48 am
by Zvono • 7 Posts

Thank you for praising my English and sharing your stories and advice with me! I will try to start the subscription next month! I hope i will be able to provide good recordings of my playing as i have no experience with video editing and those things. I will try my best.
I just continued with music theory lessons and picking and left hand excercises for now and i really feel like i made the right decision to keep at it instead of listening to the teacher i told you about. Thanks again!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu May 18, 2017 9:35 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hi Zvono!

You are very welcome! In case you are not aware, Pebber has over 700 FREE videos on his YouTube channel that you can check out, especially since you now have access to all of his .PDF's.

As I always remind students about posting videos: PLEASE post a video that is no more than 3 minutes long and showcases as few exercises as possible. This will make is easier for to watch and will help others get a feel for where you are at with your technique. I am an administrator here, and I also help Pebber out with some of the hundreds of videos he receives every month. Trust me, it is painful to try to sit through a 20-minute video of someone changing up exercises every 30 seconds! My very first video to Pebber was over 10 minutes, too!!

I am SO GLAD you are here in the Forum...See you soon, Zvono!!!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
708 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly