Visualizing shapes/scalse while playing?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:38 pm
by MarksBrother • 1 Post

Pebber,
Thank you for posting your youtube videos - they have me thinking a lot about my playing. I've been playing for 20 years and am a reasonably good player but never formally schooled although I have taken lessons here and there.
I understand the CAGED System, and I understand the 5 and 7 scale positions just from playing them for years - and after watching some videos am back to practicing the 7 scale position. The Harmonic and Melodic minors are things I've been working on since taking some Jazz lessons last year and find your scale system videos to be good information for where I want to go as a guitarist.
Anyhow, if I could ask you a couple questions...
What does an accomplished guitar player 'visualize' in their mind when they're playing, if anything? And maybe more 'out there' if I'm spending my brain time visualizing the fretboard and shapes, do you think that takes brain power away from hearing what's going on??? Does a player ever get to the point where they don't viusalize anything but just play?

You're probably thinking - who the heck is this bozo...
Thanks

Scroll up

RE: Visualizing shapes/scalse while playing?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:11 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Its an organic natural process that occurs over many years and decades. The quickest way to start hearing the notes instead of just reacting to visual shapes on the fingerboard is to SING the notes while you practice. Its also one of the hardest things to keep up as a daily thing - why ? because we all suck at it unless you have been trained as a singer no one wants to expose how bad they sing. It doesnt matter - you dont care about that just programming the sounds into your subconscious ear thats what you want to do. It takes a while to do it but thats the solution.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 14 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
437 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly