picks

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:24 pm
by telyn aur • 26 Posts

hi,
i'm new to the forum.i've just switched from using plastic to an homemade horn pick.i'm gonna try bone .has anyone else used non plastic ?

Scroll up

RE: picks

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:28 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

I've only used plastic but I'm not opposed to elephant tusk or polar bear tooth!

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:20 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

i'm satisfied with ultex jazz iii picks but im going to try dava soon. that'll decide if im gonna stick with ultex or dava.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:10 am
by Case • 68 Posts

I tried a (supposedly quality) wooden pick once but I found it wore very quickly. My plastic ones last way longer. As for the tone, I didn't hear much difference but I guess what qualities they accentuate depends on your instrument/gear.

I would be interested what our sarod heroes recommend for sarod picking. I personally find it easier to use hard plastic picks but any advice on this is welcome.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:11 am
by telyn aur • 26 Posts

the horn beats plastic for me hands down .its much richer in tone. you mentioned wood picks Case .you've got me thinking now i might try and get hold of some ebony that would last i would think.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Back in the 70's they had this "M'IND" pick made out of obsidian. I had a couple of those - were faster than hell but they made a HARD click on the strings. Dont know what happened to them they vanished.... I just use plastic ones now - nylon DAVAs to be exact. The yellow ones.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:32 am
by ashan • 190 Posts

i ordered a 6 pack of dava picks which has 6 different picks off their catalog. can't wait till they arrive after all the good reviews I've seen here and elsewhere

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:40 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

I'm keen to the Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0 jazz picks, especially w/ these picking techniques as they almost never create that scratchy sound, awesome tone. I wish they had a bit more grip, but I've remedied that by putting some gaffer tape around the base of the pick. Makes it nice for my VERY sweaty hands, I wish they would just make these w/ some grip tape on them.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:05 pm
by Debilius • 96 Posts

I go with simple choice of using Ibanez heavy picks, mostly Vai signature picks since these are a little bit bigger than regular Ibanez heavy so it fits perfectly into my very close to the tip style of grip. Tried bunch of different dunlop picks, and Big Stubby is their best product for me. These, which I have tried actually had grip surface, but back then the feel for me was like it's in the wrong place. But still, very cool picks. Planet Waves made some cool picks also. Gotta yet to try these Dava picks...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:49 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

I have tried many picks. There are so many. Used Fender medium when I started. Many years with those. Then to Dunlop 1.5mm for many years. Then to various jazz picks for many years. I have come to the conclusion that there is no "perfect pick." However, the yellow nylon Dava jazz picks may be the best all around.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:03 pm

Yellow Dava. They refuse to wear down.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:17 pm
by BlackStarVII • 10 Posts

I've used the Jazz III's, the Jazz III ultex and all of the sizes of big stubbies... I used the Jazz III Ultex for the longest time until switching to dava yellows and reds about a year ago, I find they are the best for me because they have good grip and as has been said they just don't seem to wear down anyway near as quickly as the Jazz III's. I also like how I can use it for strumming on an acoustic guitar without having that horrible sharp noise heavy picks usually produce.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

Fender Heavy....

For one thing I can get them everywhere!!

Plus heavy is a good balance for me vs. thin or medium....or even extra heavy.

metal has some good tones...like a quarter.

But in the end I want easily acquired picks which would be the Fender Heavy.

You know.....I cant experiment with anything. I can feel the difference right off the bat. Don't like it...I'm a Creature of habit!
lol

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:17 am
by John567 • 156 Posts

I like the Jim Dunlop Jazz III's and the Stubby 3.0 mm. On Pebber's suggestion in the forum, I picked up a couple of Red Dava's a couple of weeks ago. They are like the Jazz III's but they have a rubber like coating on them. I'm really liking them but they were a bit more expensive then the Jazz III's.

I think they are a great alternative if you want a better grip. Especially, if your hands are wet due to drinking all night. :D

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:12 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

It has become normal to play with a very pointed pick. For accuracy purposes I assume. Many "shredders" use very pointed picks. This is nothing new as many players sharpened their picks in the 70's and 80's. And, of course the jazz III is very pointed. Dava is very pointed. Dunlop is even producing "sharps"...picks that are already sharpened to a nice point. Many guys are using these as well.

I would recommend playing with a pointy pick only because it is very very necessary to learn to play with only the smallest point of the tip of the pick. All you are trying to do is lightly rub the very tip of the pick against the string. This allows you to play faster. Not really any secret there.

For my beginning students, I recommend using a standard sized pick. As a student progresses to more of an intermediate level and shows an interest in building speed, I may recommend a Dava or a Jazz III. Something small with a nice point so the student can learn to play with only the very small tip of the pick. I have done hours and hours and years of practicing with very pointy Dava and JazzIII picks.

For me personally, I do not like the tone of a very pointy pick. Live and in the studio I prefer the sound of celluloid and I prefer the tip to be more round. Simply a tonal preference for me. My most favorite pick for the past few years has been the Pickboy jazz Pos-a-grip 1.5mm as I feel it produces the best tone overall. Tough to find in music stores (I have never figured out why) but you can easily order them online by doing a Google search.

And I use .008 Ernie Ball Pure Nickel strings. Pure Nickel strings are again a tonal preference for me. Light strings and heavy picks have always been a favorite of mine because I feel it makes the guitar very touch sensitive. Some players find it very difficult to play with such light strings and such heavy picks because, your control must be 100% accurate or things can fly off track very easily. But, I prefer the added touch sensitivity and I put a lot of time working on my bending, accuracy, control, and intonation.

More later.

-U

-Ursin

Last edited Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:19 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:13 pm
by Drift • 13 Posts

Ive been using jazz 3's for a while now. They work best for me, but when I get a chanse I'm going to give the Dava a try.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 pm
by rogerk • 2 Posts

Pebber I went to two different music stores in my town to try the DAVA on your recommendation. Both stores had about four different colors but they were all the same thickness, both stores told me they only came in that thickness, is that true? I got one and tried it, but it was a little thin for my liking. I love the grip thoiugh. I measured the thickness with my calipers and it's about .038 of an inch. Can anyone tell me if you can get them any thicker?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

I use red yellow and orange dava jazz . the small ones they dont bend as much..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:17 pm
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I use the yellow ones. They arent thin. Try ebay.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:44 am
by BlackStarVII • 10 Posts

The Dava picks that I have change thickness depending on where you hold the pick, the lines on the pick should decide that if you've got the same ones as me, if you hold it right at the bottom line then it will be thicker, hope this helps.

Here are the ones that I use.

http://www.tonezonemusic.co.uk/images/pr...AVA%20PICKS.jpg

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:48 am
by dave86uk • 34 Posts
Wenn Sie hier auf Links zu eBay klicken und einen Kauf tätigen, kann dies dazu führen, dass diese Website eine Provision erhält.

I actually got some dava pics this week I like them Im just so used to the jim dunlop jazz III max grip picks :)

Werbung: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Dava-Control...=item2a1c840b0a

The following contents have been linked to this post:

Last edited Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:49 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:15 am
by telyn aur • 26 Posts

this saves me trying them all .anyone have a preference ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F594pOfR844&feature=relmfu

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

got the dava picks i ordered finally. love the red jazz ones

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
106 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly