ground wire help??

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:13 am
by hudsontoronto • 79 Posts

does any body know how to fix the buzz noise on a Gibson LP studio?
it is making noise when i am not touching the string, the moment I touch the strings it stops.. I am thinking it is the ground wire!!!
do you guy know how to fix this?
peace..

Scroll up

RE: ground wire help??

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:35 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Does it happen on that guitar no matter the amp or power source?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:41 am

Yes it happens on my both amps, in the living room and in the bedroom .

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:32 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

It's probably a loose solder joint or a bad wire if it's something new. If it has always been that way it may have a ground loop and need to be rewired. If you're comfortable w/ a solder iron you should be able to look inside, find the culprit and fix it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:12 pm
by jvieira72 • 21 Posts

I had an LP Standard for 10 years and the jack plate liked to loosen up after plugging and unplugging several times. It would cause a very nasty buzz because the input jack would wiggle once you had plugged in. It's easy to miss and easy to tighten up. I'd check that before plunging into the electronics. You might get lucky.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:17 pm

My input jack is also loosen but I check it very time I play, that's not the reson why...
I realy think it is the ground wire..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:41 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Open the back up and give each wire a very small tug. It would be even easier if the guitar was plugged in as you'll hear when you've got the right one, or at least the right section of wires. You may even be able to see the loose wire as soon as you open up. If you're comfortable w/ a solder iron it should take you very little time to just go around back there and resolder some connections.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:00 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

Hey Hudson,

Did you find out if it was the ground? Is it fixed? Takes some pics if you can....

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Hey,I was going to reply but I forgot .
I opened the guitar and touched the wires obe by one and the noise simply was gone .. Just like that .
I'm very happy now with the way it sounds...
Thank you so much for the advise.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:06 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

If that's the case you've got a cold solder joint and more than likely this is going to crop up again. I'm glad it's fixed, but if it does come up again or if you have some other issue like a scratchy pot I'd go in there and replace the wiring and the pots if you're so inclined. Wiring diagrams are easy to follow and there are plenty of videos on how to solder correctly.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:41 am

I'm not gonna try solder because I'm not good at it....
I'm debating with myself if I should trade my LP studio for a telecaster just because of comfort ... The LP is heavy but sound great ..
The strat is light and very comfortable but doesn't have the sound in looking for , I had a strat before USA made and I traded for this obe I have now... I like strats , the way they feel ... But I love the Gibson tone...
I think the tele is a crossover between the both..
Am I wrong?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:52 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

The tele has a vibe that's all its own which IMO is completely different than either the strat or LP. If you like the way the strat feels, but like the tone of the LP you might want to consider a dual humbucker setup on a strat or checking out the 339 epiphone or gibson.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S...CFYw-Mgodg1MA4w

http://www.samash.com/p/Epiphone_ES339%2...CFcY-MgodLCIAtw

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:23 pm

Do you think that the 339 Gibson has the same comfort as a strat?
I know it has a great sound, I have heard it before , I think Pebber has on of those as well.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm going to the music store on Saturday and play both guitars, but as far as I searched the Gibson is way more expensive than the fender HH..
The epiphone, I rented one before the 335 and don't like it at all, didn't stay in tune , I had to take it back the next day..
I was thinking about the telecaster a lot lately, the delux model maybe ?
I know it is good for jazz, rock and blues because it has both humbuck and single coil pick ups.
I have never played a tele before . I wonder if it is lighter than he LP studio ... But probably not as light as the stratocaster ....
Peace guys!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:43 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

I wouldn't judge the 339 line based off one guitar in the 335 line for epiphone. Also, tuning issues happen a lot in stores because they don't lubricate the nut or stretch the strings properly. Tuning issues are typically very simple to fix. Try a few out, they are really nice guitars and REALLY light.

Tele's and LP's have similar weights, I don't think you're going to get the tone you're after going w/ a HS setup on a tele though, unless it's the treble LP tone that you're going after which is the opposite for me as I think of the neck pup or both together for that classic LP tone. You might be best off getting a HH strat though, seems like that's what you really want. If you really want that LP tone you can swap them out for some gibson burstbucker pups, I love the sound of those things.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:09 am

The sound in after is the LP neck pick up.. Kind of jazz tone .
I'm going to the store now to try the strat HH ..
I will let you know later..

I'd like to have a beer-holder on my guitar like they have on boats.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Hey dude!!!!
The stratocaster VG is the best option!!!
I just came from the store and played all of them, I think you can get a better jazz tone from using the humbuck combination on the strat VG.. The only thing is, it costs more then the HH strat .. Gotta save some money and buy that...
I love that guitar man.. You can have a kit if tones with that guitar.

I'd like to have a beer-holder on my guitar like they have on boats.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:38 am
by telyn aur • 26 Posts

Quote: hudsontoronto wrote in post #3
Yes it happens on my both amps, in the living room and in the bedroom .

this used to happen in my old house.since i've moved no noise.i guess the electricity supply is not the same everywhere.i only moved 30 miles (or half hour drive in the USA) :)

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
538 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia