Exposure to fast playing?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:12 am
by Blayze • 32 Posts

ask everyone on here what their earliest exposure to fast guitar playing was? What were a few of the first fast solos you learned?

Scroll up

RE: Exposure to fast playing?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:06 am
by Expateach • 29 Posts

Jimmy Page as an early teen and was taught the little fast solo in Whole Lotta Love. But with no effects it didn't sound good and I don't think it was correct note given by my teacher to start with.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:31 am
by Tsonic Tsunami • 27 Posts

Early 70's a little known ensemble " Mahavishnu Orchestra " was the opening act for a multi band show. I think I went to see Jethro Tull. You have to understand this was the free LOVE Seventies and there was mucho pharmaceutical enhancement. I remember people making fun of their name and mocking" were going to see the Orchestra! were going to see the Orchestra!"
One vivid image I have of the set was I looked around after about their third number and everyone's mouths were hanging open, I kid you not!
McLaughlin was blazing and Cobham was beyond words. The whole band was solidly rehearsed and tight as a clams ass, the performance had the sum total of a sucker punch right in the snot locker. When they finished there was complete silence as if no one could believe what they had just witnessed, then the crowd exploded into a roar of applauds. They really had it together and I remember that the other bands while more well known just didn't seem up to the task, the bar had been raised far to high. I have been a huge fan ever since!

Last edited Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:35 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:27 pm
by FRaKh • 321 Posts

MR. MALMSTEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MR. LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MR. KUMAR PAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“A World Without String Is Chaos”

Randolf Smuntz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:44 am
by uderoche (deleted)

For me it was probably Van Halen's tapping. The solo in "Beat It" and "Jump" I remember hearing on the radio when I was younger. And Yngwie had a big impact when I discovered him.

-Ursin

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:24 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I was originally intrigued with fast licks by Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Winter, Alvin Lee, , Jan Akkerman, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck. All that changed when I heard John McLaughlin. Then Larry Coryell and Al Di Meola and Frank Zappa. Then the 1970's flurry of fast fusion guitarists like Allan Holdsworth, Jamie Glaser, Charles Icarus Johnson, David Sancious (also a top notch keyboard player to the max), Darryl Steurmer (Jean Luc Ponty, Genesis) and then the 1980's blasted in with Eddie, Steve Vai and a few others but the music was not interesting to me so I didint follow that genre. Now everyone is fast. The fastest guy I have heard is Tiego Della Vega. Then he got knocked off the chair by John Taylor - a simple guitar instructor from Colorado!! That guy has the fastest picking I have ever seen in my life he's not human.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:07 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

My introduction was Hendrix and Page, but what got me interested in doing it myself was Jake Cinninger from Umphrey's McGee and seeing Buckethead live for the first time at a festival a couple years ago (never heard of him until then). Since then I've been into some of the jazz fast players like Mclaughlin and fusion players like Shawn Lane.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:35 am
by wc ray • 2 Posts

Bundles-a SoftMachine import. Holdsworth at 17yrs old. Sick chops. Jimmy Bryant too!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:40 pm
by ashan • 190 Posts

satriani. is there love in space? album. i still get blown away when i listen to gnaaah(track 2?). then i found malmsteen gilbert vai etc. then buckethead, kotzen, greg howe and petrucci. who made me dissatisfied with playing same old pentatonic rut over and over again.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:10 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Bundles was 1975 and Allan Holdsworth was 29 not 17. He actually didnt start playing guitar until he was 18.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
221 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly