Guitar Instructors, Methods, and Websites

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:40 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hey Everyone!

For quite some time, I have been checking out and researching other guitar instructors, observing their teaching methods and styles, watching their videos and visiting their websites.

I created this thread, because I am curious as to what other instructors. methods, and/or websites YOU enjoy,,,and more importantly:

WHAT ASPECTS DO YOU ENJOY?

WHAT INTERESTS YOU?

WHAT DON'T YOU LIKE?

I encourage all of you to participate,,,NO HOLDS BARRED!!!

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to YOUR opinions!!!!

Scroll up

RE: Guitar Instructors, Methods, and Websites

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:38 am
by heyman • 60 Posts

Hi, Great thread.

My first teachers taught mostly chords, then soon after, songs. This is the norm for the lessons where I live. No dexterity or theory. Not very organized.
While It's not 100% ideal. I felt really organized from the start with PB's stuff. You work off the Daily Practice Routine sheet. I don't think about it, I just do it. I know what I'm working on now and I see what I'm working towards. The basic picking stuff is all I do on days I feel like crap. Just getting to and from the lesson took a lot of time for me.

Sorry Adam, maybe I'm going off topic by making the comparison. All the best.

Talk it then walk it.
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:16 am
by PaulO • 6 Posts

I can't say much about other websites, but I do take in person lessons mostly because my improve skills suck. I don't know how one would go about learning improve skills from a website. You pretty much have to play with other people.
What haven't liked in the past is instructors who do a quick transcription in the half hour slot and send you on your way.
Or you get a Mel Bay book and are told to "Go work on this stuff" They do not teach.
I like things explained, why do these chords go together? It's not a I IV V, how can that work? I went for a long time not having any idea what I was playing and got really tired of it. Find a good teacher.
Interests? I have a huge interest in theory these days. I don't know why. but I do.

Paul

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:30 pm
by Ivan • 45 Posts

have you ever checked out scott grove's groovy music lessons channel, Adam?
he sells lessons via USB device and as far as I can tell he's a legit country/classic rock player.

He seems like an interesting cat from the tone of his videos :D
Do you have any opinion on his playing? Is he legit?

I've also noticed that Greg Howe does private lessons via Skype which is something I'm curious about. His album "introspection" is on high rotation on my music player. I'd love to know how he does some of that shit!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 16, 2017 10:29 pm
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: Ivan wrote in post #4
have you ever checked out scott grove's groovy music lessons channel, Adam?

He seems like an interesting cat from the tone of his videos :D
Do you have any opinion on his playing? Is he legit?

I've also noticed that Greg Howe does private lessons via Skype which is something I'm curious about. His album "introspection" is on high rotation on my music player. I'd love to know how he does some of that shit!
Hi Ivan!

I'm reviving some old threads that seemed to have slipped through the cracks and wanted to follow up with you:

1) Scott Grove: Yes, I am definitely familiar with Scott Grove and his videos. There are a lot of folks that take shots at him, but I would say his is very legit. I respect him for what he does and his abilities.

2) Greg Howe: Of course, Greg is a PHENOMENAL player. Have you taken any lessons from him? He's way too expensive for me, and I would be surprised if he is as detailed an instructor as Pebber is,,,,but that's just my opinion. A good guitarist does not automatically equal a good instructor. Pebber happens to be both,,,that I KNOW!

WHO ELSE HAS SOME IDEAS ON WHAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO SEE?

WHAT CAN WE DO BETTER HERE?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 am
by Ivan • 45 Posts

G'day Adam,

I bought Scott Grove's full collection of lessons for about $35 during a sale last month. I have more than I need with Pebber's lessons, but it's always interesting to learn something new wherever i can. It's a lot of country guitar which i love, plus lessons on mandolin, ukulele, keyboards, bass and mountains other stuff. About 200 hours of lessons. Zero theory...all playing haha.

As for Greg Howe, I haven't tried a Skype lesson with him yet but its on my to-do list. That money is currently being directed into savings for a 12 string Rickenbacker so I can embrace my inner Tom Petty.

Cheers for your reply mate,
ivan

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 am
by Zvono • 7 Posts

Hi!

I watch Ben Ellers youtbe channel. He has got a playlist which is called "This is why you suck at guitar" covering topics and showing bad habits vs good technique and what not to do and how to do it right instead. He explains it with some humor and it all sounds and looks very logiical to me so i watch them from time to time if i feel like doing something wrong while picking and those things. His videos are easy to access so whenever i need quick good advice i search through his playlists

I also watch creativeguitar and Rick Beato which show how music theory can be applied in depth and are easily to understand. Rick Beato especially covers more of the theory and talks about more advanced stuff but it's really interesting and fun listenig and learning something out of it even if it's for more advanced players or musicians in general.

I don't use any websites as i don't like reading the things all to much and or dislike pictures or documents which present you with "solutions" or guides on how to do certain finger placements to play certain things. So i don't really use those.

And then there is this one video i watch from time to time which shows excercises Pebber shows too but in a more compact format which is for total beginners (like myself) to practice.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon May 29, 2017 6:06 pm
by deltadaz • 9 Posts

I like the Matt Warnock site, is full of usefull info. youtubers i watch. robert baker, guitarlessons365, ben levin, ben eller, creative guitarstudio, music is win, steve terreberry(for the humour)

We are so spoilt with these days with youtube, I sort of miss struggling with the one chord book, and a old theatre song book, and an amp made from and old tube radio.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue May 30, 2017 4:16 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Quote: deltadaz wrote in post #8
I like the Matt Warnock site, is full of usefull info. youtubers i watch. robert baker, guitarlessons365, ben levin, ben eller, creative guitarstudio, music is win, steve terreberry(for the humour)

We are so spoilt with these days with youtube, I sort of miss struggling with the one chord book, and a old theatre song book, and an amp made from and old tube radio.
Hi deltadaz, and Welcome to the Forum!! You listed some really good ones there, especially Stevie T --- THAT dude is not only absolutely hilarious, but he can SHRED like nobody's business!!

,,,and YES, I long for the days when I used to sit with my copies of Guitar For The Practicing Musician (anyone remember THAT mag? It was way better than Guitar World, back in the day), my Sony Walkman (we're talking mid-80's), my Epiphone V (similar to the Randy Rhoads style), and my Peavey solid state micro amp (SCREEEEEEECHING FEEDBACK FOR DAYS)!!! Oh yeah,,,GOOD TIMES, indeed!!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed May 31, 2017 2:12 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Quote: Adam wrote in post #9
Quote: deltadaz wrote in post #8

Hi deltadaz, and Welcome to the Forum!! You listed some really good ones there, especially Stevie T --- THAT dude is not only absolutely hilarious, but he can SHRED like nobody's business!!

,,,and YES, I long for the days when I used to sit with my copies of Guitar For The Practicing Musician (anyone remember THAT mag? It was way better than Guitar World, back in the day), my Sony Walkman (we're talking mid-80's), my Epiphone V (similar to the Randy Rhoads style), and my Peavey solid state micro amp (SCREEEEEEECHING FEEDBACK FOR DAYS)!!! Oh yeah,,,GOOD TIMES, indeed!!

Not sure what happened there, looks like i managed to log in, on an old account i never used. but thanks for the welcome Adam.

Also forgot to mention Troy Grady on youtube goes in depth on pick slanting worth a watch. And also of course Pebbers own videos, although i no longer have to visit youtube to view them as i have them all on my hard drive, organised into folders.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
38 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 107) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly