Good 1-acoustic guitar songs?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:48 am
by Expateach • 29 Posts

Anyone know any good songs names that are for just 1-acoustic guitar, no other instruments or vocals? Probably finger picking, not too too difficult?
Here are ones I have been trying to learn if anyone wants to try I have tab and can email.

Embryonic Journey -Jefferson Airplane
Bron-Yr-Aur -Led Zeppelin
Black Mountainside -Led Zeppelin
Midsummer's Daydream -Triumph

Scroll up

RE: Good 1-acoustic guitar songs?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:56 am
by Epipen • 3 Posts

Hi.... I did a search for Led Zeppelin and found your comments. I've been trying to learn Black Mountainside. The other songs you have listed also look worth checking out. If you can send me the tabs that would be great.
thanks

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:28 am
by Epipen • 3 Posts

Ok.... here's what I have so far for Black Mountainside. It's going to be a work in progress for a long while..... but it's fun to play. This is the only tune I practice for now. Other than that I work on sections of the daily practice routine.

http://youtu.be/_6SeRn4mIrA

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Jimmy Page fully 100% ripped off Black "Mountainside" from Bert Jansch. The original Bert Jansch tune is called "Black Waterside." You tube it and you will be astounded how Jimmy Page got away with such a thing. Atlantic Records is also guilty of this blatant plagiarism by publishing it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:59 pm
by Epipen • 3 Posts

I was not aware of that. I did see on You Tube other songs that Led Zeppelin had used as well. It's pretty sad to see. I always assumed that Jimmy Page had always done his own work. I would like to learn more tunes that he plays. I'll just have to do more research on the songs that I pick.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:32 pm
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Led Zepplin... The most popular blues cover band of all time ;)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:39 pm
by Hoodooman • 3 Posts

Did they really got away with it? I thought they were forced to pay royalties for their covers...or not all of them?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:58 pm

Ha Ha Zeppelin only pays their roadies! They NEVER paid any royalties for any covers. Not one penny ever.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:27 pm
by Hoodooman • 3 Posts

Hmm you re right!! Only "accusations" about it was the issue..

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:54 am

I take that back - seems I do recall a lawsuit in the 1970s that got swept under the rug where they ended up having to pay Willie Dixon because he wrote the tune and they didnt credit him and instead put themselves as the authors. They were infamous for doing that on a lot of their blues stuff - one only has to look at the credits on the liner notes. The lawsuit was written up in Rolling Stone and as I recall Zeppelin had a really slick PR firm handle it and it went away rather quickly. Probably paid Rolling Stine a large sum to keep it on page 29 instead of the front cover.

Heres more:

-as you can plainly see, Zeppelins attorneys and PR people were successful in all these cases with out of court settlements and case dismissals (Englsh Judges and Magistrates must ave been paid off and have also been Zeppelin fans! Thats like trying to sue the LAKERS in Los Angeles Court! They just all laugh at anyone who tries! Those judges all have BOX seats and season passes!)

------[ source - Wikipedia ]----------------------
On Led Zeppelin's album Led Zeppelin II (1969), parts of the song "Bring It On Home" were copied from Sonny Boy Williamson's 1963 recording of "Bring It On Home," written by Willie Dixon. On the same album, "The Lemon Song" included an adaptation of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor." In 1972, Arc Music, the publishing arm of Chess Records, brought a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Bring It on Home" and "The Lemon Song"; the case was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

Led Zeppelin's song "Whole Lotta Love" contained lyrics that were derivative of Willie Dixon's 1962 song "You Need Love." In 1985, Dixon filed a copyright infringement suit, resulting in an out-of-court settlement. Later pressings of Led Zeppelin II credit Dixon as co-writer.[19]

Led Zeppelin also paid a settlement to the publisher of Ritchie Valens' song "Ooh! My Head" over "Boogie with Stu" (from their album Physical Graffiti) which borrowed heavily from Valens' song.[20]

Led Zeppelin's song "Dazed and Confused" was derived from a 1967 Jake Holmes song of the same name, which had been performed by Jimmy Page when he was with The Yardbirds.[30][31] In June 2010, Holmes filed a lawsuit against the guitarist for copyright infringement in a United States District Court, claiming Page knowingly copied his work.[32] The case was dismissed in January 2012.[33] The 2012 Led Zeppelin release Celebration Day credits the song to "Jimmy Page, inspired by Jake Holmes".

---------------------------------------------

Black Mountain Side must have been a slightly different issue because Page has publicly acknowledged his influence and admiration of Guitarist Bert Jansch who was the author of Black Waterside. I would almost bet that Page probably supported Jansch financially as he did mention his concern over Jansch having arthritis and going to visit him and what not. Page probably took care of a lot of medical bills for him and Jansch in turn said nothing about Black Mountainside. When interviewers ask Jansch about Black Waterside he is rather tight lipped in any reference to Page. Go figure!!

Last edited Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:13 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:16 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

On Jimmy Page/Led Zeppelin,

Does anyone think that Jimmy Page is less of a musician now as a result of this information coming out? I even heard that Stairway to Heaven was "influenced" as well....

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 am
by AceLuby • 63 Posts

Stairway is influenced by a couple different sources, but musically speaking it's a fairly common chord progression. I personally don't think of him as less of a musician because of a some copped songs and licks. Guy can flat out play and influenced thousands of other players.

From the little I know the biggest issues came from stealing lyrics and entire sections of songs, which I can't really put full blame on Jimmy. Before he was in Zep he made a living doing studio work, so he definitely had skills and musicianship.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am
by notenjesus • 23 Posts

i missed the solo in o2 arena (2007?) -.- and it makes me said to hear such bad things about zeppelin :(

Pebber Brown's Soldier

Last edited Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:09 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Nothing referring to Page's musicianship - just their greed and ethics. Zeppelin has always been a monster in all ways - playing, touring, musicianship, creativity, showmanship, making money, stealing, consuming, blaring, ripping other artists off, intimidating, bullying, raping 14 year old girls (Page's known 14 year old girlfriend Laurie Maddox), and many other categories. Never forget that Page is into Black Magic and bought Boleskine House (Aleister Crowley's mansion) and lived in it for 20 years and owned Equinox, an Occult shop in London. Very shrewd and brilliant bunch of guys and the musicianship is par none - but there is a very dark side to Jimmy Page.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:02 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Well interesting facts...

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 pm
by Chris • 20 Posts

off topic, but, I live near Inverness which is near enough to Boleskin House and when I was a kid my father bought a garden rotorvator from Pages gardener, the closest I have ever been to guitar greatness has been pushing that piece of crap round my dads potato patch :/ ... for the record that Boleskin/Doors area ( of Inverness ) is most definitely dark and fuk'd up.

PM'd for your TAB's

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Inverness! fucking great man! And you have been to Boleskine house? What do you mean by dark and fucked up? Can you feel a bad vibe?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:30 am
by Chris • 20 Posts

There are a lot of links to the past in Scotland, we have many stone circles, Cairns and carved marker stones. There are arrangements of stones that align with Ley lines and ones that mark the summer and winter solstice's, below are a few sights as examples..

http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/prop...m?PropID=PL_067
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_O_Many_Stanes
http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/prop...m?PropID=PL_081
http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/prop...m?PropID=PL_191

We also have a lot of interesting sights on the surrounding islands too..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callanish_Stones

There are massive stone circles in Orkney and tombs that date before Christ and are as old as pyramids of Ancient Egypt.... http://www.maeshowe.co.uk/

A lot of these sights have been "studied" ( more like plundered! ) by the Victorians and the artifacts and clues to there meanings long gone, most of these places have been reasoned as nothing more than calenders for farmers and burial grounds for important Picts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts .........but no one really knows.

I have visited all these sights and more as I find them fascinating, they speak an ancient language long forgot and are of a time when man connected with the natural and supernatural.

The Inverness area has had a couple interesting characters, the Brahn Seer predicted a lot of events that have come true http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/pbs/index.htm and some people ( mostly tourists )still believe in the lochness monster http://www.nessie.co.uk/.....

So maybe all these things brought Aleister Crowley to Scotland thinking it a good place to harness energies and practice black magic and for others curious to find out about such things to gravitate to Boleskine house ( and they still do ).

I haven't been up to house since going there years back when I was a kid to help my dad pick up that Rotorvator, for the record we had a reason to be there and we were invited. But I have been to the area around Boleskine at the lochs and woods, innocently enough, and have experienced things, you can feel a bad vibe there, kinda like a bad trip without the trip.

I don't know what your thoughts are on things like ghosts, U.F.O's, Ouija board's ect Pebber, a lot of folks good and bad experiences of these things can be attributed to being drunk or on LSD ect I wouldn't be sticking my neck out much by saying that there is more to life than what we can see and what we believe and a lot of people have experienced the weird while completely sober so I think an open mind is needed when dealing with these things.

I could tell you one of these ghost stories and although the story maybe be true, it would be just that, another story that unless it happened to you you wouldn't really believe it and i'd rather not give the place kudos. Suffice to say that anyone with any "good" sense should not go ghost hunting around there as I don't think even Alister Crowley was in full control of what he conjured up and he has definitely left an unwanted legacy that is real, it wouldn't surprise me if Page found the place too heavy and that was why he didn't spend too long there.

... jack of all trades, master of none!
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:40 am
by student • 146 Posts

fitting song in my opinion and also Jeff fucking Beck !!!

Last edited Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:50 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:35 am
by Case • 68 Posts

Looks beautiful, man! It's just the bloody weather... Once a Scottish couple asked my wife where she was living. When she told them in London their response was "Aaah, London! Wonderful weather!" :))

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
413 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly