What to practice when on holiday

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:42 am
by Guitar137335 • 8 Posts

Hi,
Am going on holiday for 3 weeks with out a guitar !
Is their any exercises I can do with my fingers to keep them in shape? Hate the feeling when I haven't played for a few days.
Thanks!

Scroll up

RE: What to practice when on holiday

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:18 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

take your guitar i do if not got the child size one i take to keep up on at least the picking

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:41 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

Yes, if at all possible, take your guitar (it's always possible to take it).

If you absolutely can't take it, then do hand strength, stretching, and dexterity exercises with both hands.

I drive a 100-mile commute four days a week and the last week I have been doing exercises designed to isolate my third and fourth fingers on my fretting hand. In just a week I have more than doubled my ability to concentrate on pulling in my fingers when fretting, and the strength my hand has developed is incredible.

I'll be on an at-home vacation next week and I plan on making several videos of different aspects of my practice. Then you'll see what I mean.

The other thing you can do is either listen to one of Pebber's picking videos and set your hand up on your leg or something just as if you were picking a guitar. Work on scalpel and sarod timing. You could also just use a metronome and work on the different timing ratios.

Both those things will really move you forward in terms of control and concentration. And if either of them are problems (which they are for most of us), not having a guitar will be a benefit because it's too easy to get distracted and play something other than what we should be practicing.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:16 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Bring your guitar I talk from experience I travel all over the world for work and bring always a guitar. I bought a relative cheap Taylor which is my buddy on my trips. It is worth the afford!
If you fly the airliner should allow you to bring the guitar as hand luggage. Is the start to be nasty refer to FAA rule Section 403, there is stated that they should allow you to bring small size instruments (a guitar is considered as a small size instrument). And they are according the FAA not allowed to charge you for it.

If you go by car it will be even more easy. Plus Taylor (im sorry im a big Taylor fan) has also small size guitars like the: Baby Taylor or the GS mini. This will give you the possibility to do at least some exercises.

I think Farelli made a good point as well in doing some strength exercises.

I wish you a great holiday dude, Keep on playing 3 weeks without guitar sounds to me like a awefull way of spending my free time ;)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:56 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I have a lot of students who go out of town, far away, etc. on vacation and cant take their guitar.
Heres a couple things that I reccommend:
1.) Go to a pawn shop and BUY a cheap guitar $30-40 and then before you leave, SELL it back to them.
2.) Go visit a music store (if there is one) and sit down and fake like you want to buy a guitar and get in some practice
3.) Look up Travel guitars on eBAY and get one (some of them even FOLD in half)
4.) See if there is a local Craigslist where you are and find a cheap used one. When you leave take it with you or sell it.
5.) Look in local classified ads for a used one
6.) Buy a guitar from a shop, play it and have them ship it back to you at home right before you leave.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:11 am
by Guitar137335 • 8 Posts

Thanks for all the tips guys!
Am going to the hard rock hotel for like 5 nights and you can rent a guitar for free! also I'll go to some music stores. thanks for the metronome tip Farelli also can't wait for them videos, also I got a 9 hour flight so I can catch up on some theory:)

Last edited Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:19 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:53 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Yup thats a good one as well Guitar137335! I have watched many videos on my tab in th eplane over and over again. I wrote the 5 pos system a couple of times in a plane too. You should see those people looking to you, WTF is he doing with writing over again numb ers from 1 to 7 and some black boles. hehehhe

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:21 am
by Farelli • 189 Posts

LMAO. I was writing out 5, 7, 14, and Scaletone positions, as well as all the major scales for dozens of pages.

My wife's cousin looked at it one day and said, "WTF is that? Is that music?"

A couple of weeks and several dozens pages later, she added, "This reminds me of The Shining: 'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy' written all over the walls."

I told her, "Yep, that's right. I'm crazy."

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:42 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

LOL

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 15 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 290 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: