Right arm pain from overplaying?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:04 am
by Guitar137335 • 8 Posts

Hi Guys,
Last two days I've got a pain in my right arm joint and shoulder. Also the last 3 months I've been practicing for 10-12 hours a day. So could it be that? Weird I got it now thought. Also am young and fit. Practicing trills and theory now.
Also I've been playing drums for like 2 months but only for 15-30 minutes a day.
Thanks

Last edited Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:05 am | Scroll up

RE: Right arm pain from overplaying?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:46 pm
by Farelli • 189 Posts

That could be from anything. Sometimes you can go to sleep fit and wake up with an injury. As you get older you'll grow accustomed to that because it happens all the time. Weird though.

The question to ask is if you are feeling the pain while playing (either guitar or drums), or if it is more severe while playing. If so, you need to stop immediately and figure out what you're doing wrong. Chances are it is a bad posture situation.

I have a really bad left shoulder and upper back. If I sit in a sloppy position for a while playing the guitar, my left arm will start to go numb due to pinching of the nerve in my shoulder.

Posture is really, really important in anything you do.

If you can, post a video of you playing. If there's a posture problem someone will see it.

Oh one more thing - did you change to a new guitar recently? Changing from an electric to an acoustic puts a different angle on your shoulder and elbow that can take some time to adjust to.

Scroll up

RE: Right arm pain from overplaying?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:51 am
by Adam • 172 Posts

Hello Guitar137335,

I hope your issue has been resolved, but I recently dealt with something similar and wanted to share with you how Pebber's advice got me better!

First, I literally woke up one day about 6 months ago with no feeling in my entire right arm and all the way down into my right index finger. The arm numbness would come and go, but the index finger was numb & "tingly" 24/7. After almost 1 month of suffering in silence, I finally talked to Pebber about this (we've been friends a long time and we communicate with each other almost daily). I was literally crying about my condition and was convinced that I would never be able to play the guitar again! The entire arm was often completely numb.

Anyway, the first thing Pebber said was to completely stop playing the guitar. Pebber then suggested I find a chiropractor who does kinesiology muscle testing and acupuncture. I found such a chiro, and after about 3 months of treatment, I was 100% better. It turns out that I had a bulged disc at the base of the right side of my neck that was putting pressure on my nerves that ran down my right arm, to the tip of my right index finger!

If you are still experiencing your issue, please stop playing everything and go get it checked out by a chiro who does kinesiology muscle testing and acupuncture. It doesn't matter if you are young & fit: I spent years in tae-kwon do and boxing, and always played sports & exercised. It has to do with posture and nerves. You said that you would practice "10-12 hours per day," and I used to do the same.

Thank you for sharing, and I really hope you are doing better. If not, TRUST ME,,,you will be fine, as long as you get it checked out!

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
398 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia