A Beginning Beginner

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:21 pm
by mtid53 • 2 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm 62 and have finally decided to learn how to play an electric guitar. As a kid, I bought a pawn shop acoustic and gave up when I got frustrated by the cheap guitar and sore fingers.

Now however, I have invested in a quality instrument and want to learn. I watched Youtube's "Daily Practice - Module 1 - Part 1" and can't help to wonder if for a beginning beginner if for the most part that video might yet be just a little advanced.

Would y'all (as seasoned veterans) suggest or recommend a more rudimentary course before the "Daily Practice" or jump right into it as a best way to go? When do learning chords, etc. come into play?

Any help, suggestions, and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

Scroll up

RE: A Beginning Beginner

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:17 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Its never to early to practice picking. get the scalpal picking down. left hand spiders ladders trills.
lookup basic theory, string names, tuning, notes on neck, octaves. basic chords then 5 position system lern major scale system. learn some songs of course.
welcome to the forum

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:30 pm
by mtid53 • 2 Posts

Thanks for your reply, Deltadiscos. Would you mind explaining or directing me to a link that explains scalpal picking, 5 position system, and the major scale system?

Sure appreciate the help!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:29 am
by stratwinder • 4 Posts

Mike, i just joined as well, and am about your age.

I have been playing about 5 years, and have diligently practiced, but have not practiced smart.

I have jumped around, and tried to learn everything!! I am going to hitch my wagon to Pebber and try to maintain a sensible and constant path to this.

I have learned a lot of what not to do, let me know if i cam help you in my limited way.

I use a book called guitar aerobics, it has a daily ( for me =Weekly) practice schedule. I like it very much. I also use a program called You Tube downloader ( YTD) to make videos on my computer from you tube.

The main thing I have learned, and would do right the first time if I had another chance, is hand mechaninc's. The bad habits are pretty hard to shake later on!! Thumb position, wild fingers flying up, etc.

We can do this!!!

mark

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
383 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia