Can all diatonic chords be played in all 12 keys in all 5 positions of the guitar

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:47 pm
by Clark • 11 Posts

Hi guys gotta question about diatonic chords!

Can all 7 diatonic chords be played in all 12 keys at each position of the 5 position system???

So is it possible to play the same song /progression at five different positions of the neck?????

I come from plying the piano and understand theory. But it now applying it to fretboard and getting my bearings with it. I ask this because I’ve begun learning major scales and moveable chords in the 5 position system and trying to improve my fretboard knowledge

Scroll up

RE: Can all diatonic chords be played in all 12 keys in all 5 positions of the guitar

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:50 am
by Justip • 47 Posts

I read somewhere all 12 keys can be done in 4 fret blocks Guthrie Govan I think it was.
The 5 position system also has melodic minor and harmonic minor arpeggios which are useful to learn to get all diatonic chord scales in the 4 fret blocks.

One excersise that might help is to grab a progression like G,D Am and play the chords from open strings to fret twelve then go back down to open strings

Last edited Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:02 am | Scroll up

RE: Can all diatonic chords be played in all 12 keys in all 5 positions of the guitar

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:53 pm
by Clark • 11 Posts

Thanks ! I’ve noticed most popular music utilises open position chords or 6th string movable e barre and 5th strong movable a shape barre. Most songs can be played using these shapes but I wanted to increase my fretboard knowledge and play around with different voicings and different caged chord shapes.

For example red hot chilli peppers under the bridge intro utilises a d major chord but Frusciante uses the movable c shape instead of a more common barre for the d chord. This got me interested in using different voicings and chord shapes to play songs.

Then this led me into the concept of been able to play the same chord progression but in different areas of the neck using different shapes which will hopefully yield alternative voicing options. I understand this is proabably a large study but I would really like to get comfortable comfortable with all the caged shapes (minor and major) I’m fairly comfortable with movable e and a shape barre chords all over the neck but I hav only just begun using triads and other movable barre hates and I have to say it’s really fun and it’s opening up the fretboard for me

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:57 pm
by Justip • 47 Posts

yeah it opens some very interesting chord tones and inversions i.e. starting on the third of the chord or the 5th of the chord
Got through the circle of 5ths in all 12 keys in the first 4 frets this morning. It takes a while to get the timing right.

Elsewhere on the forum a .pdf file was posted in a chord thread. The file had the chords starting on the 6th, 5th and 4th strings all from open to fret 15 I think it was. Tried to attach it. It is not mine but I found it very useful.

He takes in alot of different string sets.

Attachment:
No rights to view attachments. Only file names are shown. Register now!
f2t468p4705n2.pdf f2t468p4705n2.pdf

Last edited Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:00 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:20 am
by Clark • 11 Posts

Thanks for the chord triad sheet! I’m tuna study the triads and hopefully get to grips with the diminished and augmented shapes too. One good thing I discovered is that the augmented triad shapes are all the same because the intervals are symmetrical!

I’m enjoying triads because I can use them right away into my playing where as with the scales I’m not really applying them musically yet!

I’m finding this caged system way of viewing the fretboard extremely helpful and beneficial. It’s really demystifying the fretboard for me.

I also checked out some videos of Guthrie govan! Hes got some really useful tips on his vids. Thanks for the heads up on that guy as I’ve never really seen any of his stuff

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:48 pm
by Justip • 47 Posts

lol, play those arpeggios in the 5 postion system, they are so close to the triads, actually there is no difference. The arpeggios across two octaves, triads tend to cover one.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
15 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly