Exercises for drilling chords (barre and open , all positions)??????

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:35 am
by Clark • 11 Posts

Hey guys I'm more interested in chords and rhythm than lead and solo and wanted to know what are the best
Exercises for drilling and practicing chords ?? Both open and barre chords????

I realise some people may just say practice songs for this , which I do. But I wanted to know are there specific focused exercises to work on gettting chords perfect????? I want to master chords, chord changes and at different positions of the neck

what do you guys suggest? Is there a routine can can hit all the main chords open and barres, major,minor,7th,Dom's,maj7and min7th at each position of the neck in all 12 keys????
Should I use circle of 5ths??>

Can all chords be played in every key at each position of the neck?????

There is no shortage of scale exercises all over the net but I struggle to find anything specific for chords!!!!! Which surprised me becuse playing chords makes up a large element of playing music !!

Last edited Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:38 am | Scroll up

RE: Exercises for drilling chords (barre and open , all positions)??????

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:51 pm
by Justip • 47 Posts

The chords are based on the Major Scale. Learn arpeggios for the chords based on Pebbers' 5 position scale system(min, min7, aug, 6/9 etc,etc) and drill this for a long time. Watch Pebbers' Cause We Ended as Lovers part 2A and do exactly as he says. Pebbers' other videos on chords may be on you tube but are invaluable. Watch those.

Diatonic chord scales are the chords based on the scale tones of the scale. Learn your chord scales.

After that and you have your diatonic chord scales sorted add diminished chords into the half steps.

I suggest that you practice swapping the chords aswell. min7 becomes min9 etc

happy practicing.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:12 pm
by Clark • 11 Posts

Thanks I’m already at work on the 5 pos scales, and begun practicing pebber picking and left hand exercises. I will look into that video . Thanks again

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:43 am
by Justip • 47 Posts

here it is (hopefully) tell you what how about a chord challenge?
take a simple G D Am progression but all the G chords can't be played in same position twice. The same with D and Am chords but sub in any 7th chords or min7th chords you want.

I'll post mine tomorrow with chords used are u keen?

Last edited Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:55 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:12 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
121 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 256) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly