High School/College Level Music Classes

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:22 pm
by beatlesfreak311 • 4 Posts

Hello everyone,

I'm 14 and going to be a freshman in high school next year, and I'm going to be in the string orchestra as a string bassist, and Jazz Lab (which is a small all instruments included class covering, you guessed it, basic jazz techniques) as a guitarist. Freshmen can't take Music Theory, but I'm certainly going to take it the last 3 years of high school. My question is a) can anyone give me an idea of what will be covered and b) is there anything I can actively prepare for now? I'm taking a slew of other tough classes (including Accelerated Algebra, AP English, and French), so any leg up on music classes I can get is golden. Also, I'd be grateful if anyone can give me similar answers regarding college level courses. I'm planning on entering college as a guitarist. Oh, and to anybody who has taken high school music classes: what does it take to get into AP courses? I wanna get as much under my belt as possible before college.

Thanks and much love,
Robert

Last edited Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:32 pm | Scroll up

RE: High School/College Level Music Classes

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:43 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

You can find a lot of used books (last years) on ebay for cheap. The Authors that most schools use are Bruce Benward, Ralph Turek, Walter Piston and Robert Ottman. Buy a set of those it wil be less than $50 and you will have a great head start.

Scroll up

RE: High School/College Level Music Classes

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:05 pm
by deadcrustpunk • 9 Posts

i had to register for school today (la trade tech where the 10 and 110 freeways meet, and as a result of my major's classes being almost ALL taken i decided to enroll into an introductory guitar class... i look forward to UN-sucking even MORE!!!

are you REALLY justified in having NOTHING to say???

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
496 guests and 2 members have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

2 members have been online today:
McFly, webpulseindia