Left hand thumb behind middle finger help.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:58 pm
by fleco • 7 Posts

Hi guys,
I am trying to improve my left hand technique, by keeping my thumb behind the middle finger. Normally I would play with my thumb slightly pointed to the right more behind the first finger. Now that I have changed by playing style, my playing has slowed down, and I am starting to get wrist pain. A few things to note, I have started trills and spider excercizes hoping this will strengthen the relationship between thumb, and middle finger. The part that is most concerning is the pain on the side of my wrist. Something to note when I am playing the A pent scale my thumb naturally wants to point to the right (between10 and 11 oclock), and I have to forcefully bend my wrist battling to keep it straight. Thanks guys nay help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to hurt myself!

Last edited Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:00 pm | Scroll up

RE: Left hand thumb behind middle finger help.

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:13 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey Fleco,

Welcome to the forum. I think your wrist has the famous swan angle it would be good if you make a video so others can see how your position is in relation with the guitar (maybe you need to lift the neck a bit more?). I'm sure there people here who will give you some advice. A video says 1000 things more than a written text.

Grtz

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:21 pm
by fleco • 7 Posts

here is a video. Thanks guys!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:00 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

hi Fleco,

About your thumb it is difficult to see. But i dont think this is a very bad position you have your wrist is slightly curved which is normal i think. So maybe you have pain because you changed your porture of playing and the body needs to get used to it.
Guitar playing ask a lot from your muscles and sometime we do have pain because we use these muscles so much. But lets wait for a final conclusion on the real Gurus here on the forum. I was just looking out of curiosity and to learn something as well but im not a teacher as Pebber or Ursin and the others. Take there advise serious.

GRTZ

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:57 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Nice curve of the pinky finger (when not using)
looks a little stiff but to be expected if only just starting out( spiders, ladders, trills ) will sort that
just lift the neck up and tighten the strap. for a more comfortable postion.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
9 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 629) guests / 2) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly