The way to remember the notes on the fretboard

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:43 am
by Tonewolf • 3 Posts

Hello,

I am new to this forum and have watched several videos on the subject. I am struggling with remembering the notes on the fretboard and wonder if there is a method that may help me. I am slowly picking up notes with the below 2 methods and repetition.

I have learned several patterns that allow me to identify the same note on another string nearby.

I have also learned and practiced the BEADGCF method of naming the next adjacent strings note. That method seems far less common where for example the b string to the high e string follows the pattern. then the high e string is of course the same as the low e string and the pattern continues with the a string. The pattern goes up one fret higher when you reach the b string and also up one fret after you reach the f and start again on the b. Try this on a blank fretboard sheet if you haven't seen it before.

I'll learn this if it kills me....

Last edited Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:12 am | Scroll up

RE: The way to remember the notes on the fretboard

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:32 am
by deltadaz • 9 Posts

Learning octaves is a good way. Print out some fretboard diagrams and write it out, over and over. Pick one note (say G) and find all the g,s all over the neck. There is software for tablets
PC that can help also. You will find the more you play the easier it will become.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:23 am
by Tonewolf • 3 Posts

For how obvious that sounds now, I didn't think of that. I will give it a try.

Thank you!

I am going to learn this if it kills me...
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:51 am
by Tonewolf • 3 Posts

...Any other recommendations?

I am going to learn this if it kills me...
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:04 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I used to practice the chromatic shifting pattern and say the notes that the index finger landed on out loud.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:19 am
by Marcelo Carvalho • 3 Posts

It helps to practice scales while singing the notes. Play the scales in 3rds (up one, down the next) while you say the names of the notes, i.e. C-E, F-D, E-G, A-F, etc. Then do it in 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, 7ths and 8vas. Then play and sing it in reverse order (down one, up the next). This requires a lot of brain work and it's absolutely tiring. It may feel like your brain hurts a lot. But worry not that's a sign your brain is expanding. Do this for couple hours a day for a month and you'll recognise each note on the fretboard pretty much instantly. Also saying the names of the notes as you play them in this fashion is great for ear training, you may find that after a while you can hear the names of the notes just by hearing someone play them. As a plus, consider getting the book "Advancing Guitarist" by Mick Goodrick and play the exercises on voice leading the triads. These will force you to think of 3 notes on the fretboard at time rather than just one. It's quite hard to do but the rewards you may rip from it are definitely worth it. Hope this helps.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 38 (yesterday 108) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: