Scalpel transition to Sarod

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:23 pm
by Boogie Chillen • 2 Posts

I recently discovered Pebber's videos and they're great. I'm working on my right-hand picking development. One of the daily practice recommendations suggests scalpel picking at 1 note per beat, then 2, 3, 4, and up to 10.

Starting out at 60 BPI I get to about 5-6 notes per beat using the scalpel picking technique. Beyond that it feels more comfortable to transition into the sarod type picking. From looking at Pebber's video, it even appears that he transitions to the sarod type picking on the faster exercises.

Is this correct or should I be able to play 10 notes per beat using just the scalpel method. I know, before everyone tells me: with practice comes speed. I get that, but I just want to make I'm understanding the intention of the exercise.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Boogie

Scroll up

RE: Scalpel transition to Sarod

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:24 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

10's with Scalpel is part of doing scalpel. Timing should be applied to any and ALL techniques.

Scroll up

RE: Scalpel transition to Sarod

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:49 pm
by Boogie Chillen • 2 Posts

Good deal. I'll dial back the BPS and work towards 10's using just scalpel. I've managed up to 8 at 45 BPS. Those 9's and 10's are tough :P I'll get to the Sarod technique in a few months.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 12 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
88 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly