Picking hand placement

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:00 am
by Rednation58 • 19 Posts

I find myself bracing my picking hand with my pinky. Is this incorrect form? I don't see it done in the practice videos so I'm thinking it's bad.

Scroll up

RE: Picking hand placement

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:05 am
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

if you are doing a mclaughlin cover or trying to be a badass like him when you are play...then yes it is v=bad it lowwers your upper speed thresh because the fastest flutters...they all float....but for the other 99% if stuff its not the end of the world.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---

Last edited Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:09 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Do not place any of your fingers on the body of the guitar. Do not fan your fingers out. Keep your fingers curled in towards your palm. Not TIGHT but LOOSE. Everything with guitar is LOOSE. I was watching a guy play a solo this morning and it was pretty good but it looked stiff and PAINFUL for him. Guitar does not have to be stiff and painful...unless you are practicing and then maybe it can be painful. If it is then STOP or SLOW DOWN. But practicing and playing are 2 different things. Playing should be loose and relaxed.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:15 am

So does all the strength/support come from the forearm and wrist? Thanks for the help

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:33 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

You should rest your hand on the bass strings back by the bridge. The strength is something you have to build up over time.

Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:34 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:14 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

I find My fulcrum (fleshy part of the thumb) Rubs/mutes the top strings as i play. rest the arm on the guitar but should'nt need to anchor. floating completely no arm on guitar is quite possible with sarod, and feels great after 3 or so hours of practice

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K

Last edited Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:14 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:36 pm

And just to make sure there's no difference when playing acoustic? I've been following your instructions and so far so good. Guitar even has a different tone playing this way.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:09 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Quote: Rednation58 wrote in post #7
And just to make sure there's no difference when playing acoustic? I've been following your instructions and so far so good. Guitar even has a different tone playing this way.

Right. You shouldn't have to change your technique when you switch to acoustic. Also, if you are holding the pick correctly and placing your hand properly on the guitar, you'll actually be striking the string at a different harmonic node which will produce a different tone that's generally more pleasing to the ear.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:19 pm

Thanks uderoche

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 309 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly