New to Scales

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:12 am
by joebartolucci • 4 Posts

Hi:
Thanks so much for the great lessons and direction. Okay so I watched your Music Theory 101 and it answered so many questions for me and helped me to begin to know what I don't know. One question is how do I play the scales? I want to play all the scale listed in the circle of 5ths and 4ts but don't know where to start. One book says to play all the major scales within a pattern on the first 4 frets. So do I play each scale within this patten? I'm sure there are other patterns. So as you can see I need help taking the information from Music Theory 101 and putting it to use. Sorry to ramble on. I appreciate your help and thanks again!!
Joe

Scroll up

RE: New to Scales

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:07 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Quote: joebartolucci wrote in post #1
Hi:
Thanks so much for the great lessons and direction. Okay so I watched your Music Theory 101 and it answered so many questions for me and helped me to begin to know what I don't know. One question is how do I play the scales? I want to play all the scale listed in the circle of 5ths and 4ts but don't know where to start. One book says to play all the major scales within a pattern on the first 4 frets. So do I play each scale within this patten? I'm sure there are other patterns. So as you can see I need help taking the information from Music Theory 101 and putting it to use. Sorry to ramble on. I appreciate your help and thanks again!!
Joe

Hey buddy
Here is a YouTube video lesson from Pebber Brown.

Go to Pebber Brown's YouTube channel and watch "SCALE SYSTEMS" videos. I am sure those videos will answer most of your questions.

Don't just do it, Finish it!!
-Michael Angelo Batio
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:22 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Yes there are more than enough free resources on YouTube. I dont start people on scales until they complete the daily practice routine module 1 and module 2. The hands have to be able to perform and when you start on scales without doing the exercises properly on Module 1 and 2 you can develop hideous bad habits that are difficult to correct. Stick with the plan and you will get them down just fine. Jump ahead and you will not.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Okay I will!! Thank you for your quick response. This is just what I need. "Ill be back"! in my best Arnold voice!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:38 pm

Okay I will!! Thank you for your quick response. This is just what I need. "Ill be back"! in my best Arnold voice! .

I am can't seem to find Module 5, 6 and 7. I would like to add something from each of those to my daily practice as Pebber suggests. Can someone please direct me as to where on the site they are located.
Thanks again.
Joe

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:32 am
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Module 1 & 2
There is at least 2 years worth of work in module 2 get some of that done first..

Some Stuff is for Subscribers.
when you are ready I would advise it

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:46 am

I thought part of the daily practice was to include something from each module as part of the practice. Yes there is more than enough work I have ahead of me here however I like what Pebber is saying about including all the modules daily.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:50 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

I put most of module 1 and overviews of module 2 up for free. You dont need the rest until you are well developed in 1 and 2 first and they are not free, only for serious students who commit to paying for lessons.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:14 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

I'm following the theory lessons and finished with the major scale writing down in the CAGED system. When I look to the document of the 5 position system and learn to play the next scal (i hope im not going to fast) i do not understand how to call the notes in the Melodic Minor scale.

When i look to G Mel Min, i would gues the following:

G - A - Bb -C - D - E - F# - G

But this is not following the rules in the theory lessons, where is stated that i should use only sharps or flats and use always alphabetical order. Is there anybody who could explain me this?

Thanks

Ray

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:37 am
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Quote: Ray1981 wrote in post #9
I'm following the theory lessons and finished with the major scale writing down in the CAGED system. When I look to the document of the 5 position system and learn to play the next scal (i hope im not going to fast) i do not understand how to call the notes in the Melodic Minor scale.

When i look to G Mel Min, i would gues the following:

G - A - Bb -C - D - E - F# - G

But this is not following the rules in the theory lessons, where is stated that i should use only sharps or flats and use always alphabetical order. Is there anybody who could explain me this?

Thanks

Ray

That is not G melodic minor.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:57 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Guitar Player,

Thanks for the explaning answer!

I attached the Pos 1 pattern for the melodic minor and assuming we start with the root on the 3rd fret (G).

MelMin.png - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

The Mel Min formula is: 1 2 3b 4 5 6 7 so G A Bb C D E F#

I was asking in my post what is would be? I was guessing what i wrote there and here if it is NOT ok so please explain it to me. Just telling that it is NOT the Mel Min doesn't help me a lot.

Thanks in advance

Ray

Last edited Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:03 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:52 pm

Quote: Ray1981 wrote in post #11
Guitar Player,

Thanks for the explaning answer!

I attached the Pos 1 pattern for the melodic minor and assuming we start with the root on the 3rd fret (G).

The Mel Min formula is: 1 2 3b 4 5 6 7 so G A Bb C D E F#

I was asking in my post what is would be? I was guessing what i wrote there and here if it is NOT ok so please explain it to me. Just telling that it is NOT the Mel Min doesn't help me a lot.

Thanks in advance

Ray

I am wrong......that is the formula for the Melodic Minor Scale ascending. But the traditional formula for Melodic Minor is:- 1 2 ♭3 4 5 ♮6 ♮7 8 ♭7 ♭6 5 4 ♭3 2 1 ascending and decending.

I got that formula confused with the Harmonic minor formula.

However, The first thing to be concentrating on is the chromatic and then the major(Ionian) scale.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:02 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Ok cool thanks a lot Guitar Player. This means that this melodic minor scaler is ascending different as decending, i found this on google as well. But the 5 pos system shows something else. I will take a look tonight for the chromatic one if it is better to start with these.

To be honest i havent got any vids yet related to module 3 and im trying to keep following pebber's order. But only open strings is getting after an hour a little bit dreadfull so i started to play the Major (ionian) scale and yesterday night i thought lets try this Melodic Minor. And this gave me the question about nameing the notes of this scale. But if i understand it correct it is possible to use flats and sharps in one scale.

Again thanks for your help Guitar Player

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:28 pm

Quote: Ray1981 wrote in post #13
Ok cool thanks a lot Guitar Player. This means that this melodic minor scaler is ascending different as decending, i found this on google as well. But the 5 pos system shows something else. I will take a look tonight for the chromatic one if it is better to start with these.

To be honest i havent got any vids yet related to module 3 and im trying to keep following pebber's order. But only open strings is getting after an hour a little bit dreadfull so i started to play the Major (ionian) scale and yesterday night i thought lets try this Melodic Minor. And this gave me the question about nameing the notes of this scale. But if i understand it correct it is possible to use flats and sharps in one scale.

Again thanks for your help Guitar Player

You will not get the module 3 videos until you can fully do modules 1 and 2. You need to learn modules 1 and 2 first.....there is no point jumping ahead......trust me on that.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:14 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

I do not want to jump ahead :) I want to do it good and build a good technique.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 366 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly