Can you cover all the notes of a piano with an 8 string guitar ?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:09 pm
by student • 146 Posts

I have been listening to Animals as Leaders a lot lately(they use 8 string guitars). It got me thinking if all the notes on a piano could be mapped to the guitar ? You would probably have to tune the guitar with 10 semitones between strings in order to achieve this. Would the strings be under too much tension ? Would the chords be almost impossible to grab ?

Don't listen to me
Scroll up

RE: Can you cover all the notes of a piano with an 8 string guitar ?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:59 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Not practical or easy to do.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:12 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Off the top of my head, it seems you may be able to if the lowest string were a B and the highest string was an A.

But, as Pebber said, I don't see the point if it's simply to be able to cover the notes on a piano.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:12 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:59 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Why would anyone want to try doing this? The Piano is a completely different instrument than a guitar - they dont map the same way and they dont play the same way and the skills are completely different as they are for wind and brass instruments as well. Go get yourself a keyboard if you want to play a keyboard. Or you could try getting an 8 string guitar and tuning it to fit the range and break a whole bunch of strings trying and finally realize you just spent a whole lot of time and money trying to make something work that was never designed to. Just go get a keyboard.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 21 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
299 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 950) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly