14 position sys in Dmaj .. Cmaj

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:15 am
by hudsontoronto • 79 Posts

I'm working on this stuff for some time now" 2 years".
And I wily like to ask you guys how do approach playing the 14 scale system on Dmajor or C major...
For Dmaj I'm trying to start on the second note of the scale In this case D , therefore creating a Dorian mode sound..and for C the first available note is E open on the guitar that will give me a Phrygian sound ..
How do you go about doing this?
Should I start on the root always ? If so I would start my Dmaj way up on the10th fret and so on ..
I don't know if I made myself clear but share some wisdom on this matter please..
Back at it!!!

I'd like to have a beer-holder on my guitar like they have on boats.

Scroll up

RE: 14 position sys in Dmaj .. Cmaj

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:21 pm
by John567 • 156 Posts

Quote: hudsontoronto wrote in post #1
I'm working on this stuff for some time now" 2 years".
And I wily like to ask you guys how do approach playing the 14 scale system on Dmajor or C major...
For Dmaj I'm trying to start on the second note of the scale In this case D , therefore creating a Dorian mode sound..and for C the first available note is E open on the guitar that will give me a Phrygian sound ..
How do you go about doing this?
Should I start on the root always ? If so I would start my Dmaj way up on the10th fret and so on ..
I don't know if I made myself clear but share some wisdom on this matter please..
Back at it!!!

Hi hudson,

I don't use the 14 positions but I do have my own (they're kinda similar to Pebber's). I learned my positions from a guy in Toronto many moons ago... ;D

2 years can be a long time. I find it useful to record yourself so you can keep track of your progress. Have you any recordings or video of yourself playing the 14 positions? If not can you post a video sample of you playing the 14 positions in C Major? Just so we can get a good look at what you are doing...

I have an older video in the video post thread of me going through the positions that I know. I would repost it but the forum won't let me post anymore. It says I'm at my max.

Suggestion: Make something similar or just run through the fingerings from the bottom of the neck going all the way up.

If you need an example I can always email you one via the forums email. Let me know...

:D

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:00 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

I'm sorry i don't really understand the question.
have you learnt all the roots and the 5 position caged system first.

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

Hudson, I don't understand the question either.

For me, I worked on the 5 POS System for around 2 years. That's 2 years of intense practice. I don't know how much time you have. I probably spent too long on it. Pebber kept telling me to move forward into the 14 POS System but I never felt I really knew the 5 POS System well enough to move on. Eventually, I did move on to the 14 POS System and I found it much easier to learn after spending so much time on the 5 POS System. I will probably spend another year on the 14 POS System and then move on to Scaletone Forms which I know a little of but not as much as I would like. I've only scratched the surface.

You shouldn't have a problem moving the positions to different keys. Just be aware of where the root is and move the root to the desired note.

YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
Twitter @ursinderoche

Last edited Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
344 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly