RE: Picking across strings

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:53 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

That makes sense! I think it must be quite boring for a lot of people to see my vid of 5 min with exercises on one string. But this is the only way to get comments about how to play better. So for me its not about the hits i get i just hope that there is 1 who is willing to take some attention and give some valuable comments.
Offcourse the way you play is not to get comments on how to play better you rock!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:03 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I am here to help and have been here since the beginning of these forums and well before. I have been very busy lately but I will try and be more active. If anyone needs assistance you can post videos here and ask for my help and I will watch. I can also be easily found on facebook www.facebook.com/ursinderoche or by email uderoche@gmail.com

www.facebook.com/ursinderoche
www.facebook.com/daredevilautopilot
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:16 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Well have you seen any bad habbits on the post i made today? Or should i continue increasing speed slowly like i wrote there? My goal is not to play like Malmsteen but to play much more comfortable on the guitar understand it the guitar better and offcourse by this i will have more fun with it. Main goal is to play in a band with some friends for fun.

I almost finsihed to write down the CAGED, 3NPS and 14 pos on the neck diagrams from PB site. So next would be to start learning them. I was thinking to begin with it when i completely have wrote them all down ( I have a package nearly 100 pages almost). But they say you should learn first to use the pick and than start to learn the scales.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:28 am
by uderoche (deleted)

I watched the video. It looks good. I would start learning the scales. Start with Position 1 and get it down. Whoever said to write them all down and then start learning them? Write them as you go. Most of the people on here are beginners and, without naming names, I would not take what they say very seriously.

Write down Position 1. Learn the note names and intervals. Play the scale. Work it with the metronome. Sing the tones. Play the scale to a backing track. Move on to the Position 2. Repeat.

Of course, don't try and learn the 14 position system in 1 day. Take your time. Get each position down. But you don't have to have Position 1 mastered before moving to Position 2. Move on when you feel comfortable. You can always come back.

Push forward.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:43 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Maybe i expressed myself wrong sorry for that! No one said i should write them all first down (but in a video of PB hes saying write them every day which is impossible its to much work this is probably a PB joke). But theres mentioned here learn to use the pick first and then start with learning scales.
I'll take your advise and becarefull whos advise i will follow I think youre right in that. Im only a couple of months member here but i see people come and go in that time.

thanks for your advise although my neighbours will not be happy with it when i start singing thise scales ;)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:52 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Writing them down is not a PB joke. It is true. But, what he means is write down the scales you are working on. So, start with the 5 Position system major scales. Write them down every day. That's it.

Some people have asked me "Should I learn to trill first before learning scales?" or "Should I learn to use the pick first before learning scales?"

I watched your video and it seems you move the pick fairly well. You can start learning scales. Some people take things too literally. If you just started on guitar yesterday, then, yes this is true...trills, learning to use the pick, etc. But you can already play somewhat so...move on. Go forward. Then we'll see what happens and evaluate from there.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:58 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

I think i took these things very literally I play guitar allready for a while but have to say i did always fingerpicking and started using a pick about 2,5 months ago. Well as you said I should move on so next step for me is learning the 5 position.

Thanks for your comments.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:07 am
by wetduck (deleted)

Welcome to the Cage(d) ray :) great to see ya buddy ! glad to hear you've been busy practicing too. i've been working hard too. keep up the great work dude !

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:41 am
by mr. gurgle (deleted)

Ooooh get me out of this cage.... check some tasty playing by Daryl Stuermer on the classic track! Incredible musicianship and songwriting to say the least!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:08 am
by Guitar Player • 83 Posts

Quote: NicholasJacquet wrote in post #33
I cannot quite tell if you are doing elbow sometimes...but if you are...I beg you to not...forarms rotationary muscles are best for trying to go lickety split...like turning a key actually...its a muscle thing like when you shiver from being outside in the cold...its lightning quick twich...and it doesnt require any exertion when you do it as such.

53659360.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:06 pm
by deltadiscos • 321 Posts

Ray that would take a lot of time writing out the 5/7/14/ systems in all 15 keys.
and dont forge scaletone form system (eventually)
but yes write them as you go as ursin has said,
I was getting on great with this then my printer died Doh!

You think you practice enough.......YOU DON'T!............PRACTICE MORE! Darryn U.K
One note can say a million words........It can also take a million notes to say one word
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:38 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Well this haven't been a loss of time, I ha ve job where i have to wait a lot so i bring dailly my 4 ring binder (sorry PB no 3 ring ;) ) and start write them out. At least i understand the system now and see some logic in it. Plus i have it written down now. It are 80 pages from C to Eb, just a couple to go.

Yes now i will start playing them and follow Ursin's advise beside of that i continue in my waiting time to write them down. I like to use my waiting time on work to learn theory so when im in my hotel or have holiday i can use that time on playing.

On the picture you see position 1,2 and 3 of the CAGED system in C, :) thought would be funny to show.

20141005_062937.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

But i think after some time i will have a couple of binders with course material.

Thanks everybody for the positive comments

grtz Ray

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:00 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

Time spent visualizing the fretboard when you are away from the instrument is certainly time well spent. If you can work through your own particular fingerings and whatnot for these things in your minds eye when you are not able to have the guitar physically with you to use as a refference point then you will be in a place where you are always poised and "ready to strike" should you find yourself with a guitar in youer hands. Scale and phrasing fingerings are particularly difficult to visualize in their entirety as soon as multiple position shifts start comming up. So keep doing what you are describing here in your book!

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:01 pm
by NicholasJacquet (deleted)

In time the work you are doing know will pay dividends on itself by saving you time in your future practice when it comes time to physically get to know these scales.

Modoric Aknowledgements:

Play Guitar better than Fred Durst?---Check

Play Guitar better than Lil' Wayne?---Check

Play Guitar better than Franz Listz?---

Last edited Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:02 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:36 pm
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

I fully agree with you NickolasJacquet!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:33 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

Hey guys,

After some weeks practicing with the metronome i slowly increased untill 60 BPM with exc 3.04 till 3.07. I dont think it is perfect yet specially at 16th notes. So i think it is smart to stay at this speed for now. But if anybody has some comments interesting comments I'm always open for suggestions i really want to nail this down. Though i have the feeling that i made some progress.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:24 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Scalpel picking looks really good Ray! You've got it.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:35 am
by Ray1981 • 279 Posts

It starts to feel natural and i think i make this "scalpel movement" in my sleep as well

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 13 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 293 guests and 1 member online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly