(Semi-) original composition

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:12 pm
by Cliff • 344 Posts

So here's a funny thing. About 20 years ago a friend loaned me a tape of a classical tune that, at the time, I really loved. Eventually I lost the tape and forgot the name of the composer and the name of the piece.

A few months ago I half remembered the melody, and decided to see if I could recall it all and come up with some chords to accompany it. In the end, memory and my weak musical ear failed me, so I came up instead with something new, but inspired by the original:

https://soundcloud.com/cliffievanr/songwip

Just today I happened to be in a bookshop where they were playing the original tune. I asked them what it was. Still stunningly beautiful to me after all those years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUWP3KPLOao

Scroll up

RE: (Semi-) original composition

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:13 am
by dlraben • 278 Posts

Cliff, given the back story about how the original inspired you to write your take on it ~20 years later, I think this is tremendous. I'd be f'in proud of myself if I had done what you've done. Very cool man. Very, very, cool.

-Damon

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:16 am
by uderoche (deleted)

Really liked the beginning Cliff. Moody and haunting.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/UrsinDeRoche
YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:11 am
by Cliff • 344 Posts

Thanks both!

The original sounds so familiar now that I hear it again, I've got to wonder if I haven't heard it more recently after all.

I agree the first bit is the best. With that I had the melody, and tried to figure out some chords to fit. For the second bit, I changed the chords up very slightly, and tried to fit a melody 'by numbers'. Not so effective.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
44 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 349) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly