Directional Picking

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:51 pm
by JoelMedina • 72 Posts

This guy is making a strong case for directional/economy picking with these chops. What do you guys think?

Last edited Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:58 pm | Scroll up

RE: Directional Picking

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:38 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Marshall Harrison is phenomenally good and he does lots of Holdsworth stuff too. This 8 string thing is a radical new instrument and sounds unbelievable! For lots of sweep arpeggios directional picking is the only way. Some guys like to do directional picking on scales and they get quite good at it - take Frank Gambale for example. The problem with directional picking is that either its natural for you or its not. If its not natural for you then its like trying to write with your left hand if you are right handed. The opposite is also true. Many guys can play directional but cant do alternate/sarod/scalpel to save their life no matter how much time they put in. I have several students right now who cant do alternate at all but can do directional. Directional is unnatural for me - but I practiced it a lot back in the day so I can do it but not to the extent that I'd like to. It also depends on the music that you play - you can do sweeps and directional in Metal and shredding but for jazz and bebop playing - anything with chord changes that quickly move from one key to another - that completely messes up anyone's plans for directional picking - I have seen that many many times - even Frank Gambale (the best directional picker in the world) reverts to alternate picking when he has to play over complex chord changes when he plays with Chick Corea.

Last edited Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:39 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:11 am
by BlackStarVII • 10 Posts

I've been practicing both for a while and I find econemy picking easier but it has its disadvantages, in my experience it's great for uneven note groups such as 3nps but not very good for the even note groups 2nps,4nps etc and as Pebber said even Gambale who is the best in the world at it has to switch it up... For my preference I use scalpel picking for econemy picking, it makes it so much easier because it's sort of a rake where you're using the scalpel picking to get each note set.

Just my thoughts, as Pebber said in a video he's like a chef and we choose what we do with the knowledge he gives us on the buffet table. I'm still trying to sarod but haven't achieved that flutter so at the moment my picking technique for playing (not practicing) is a scalpel/wrist hybrid. That said I've been practicing alternate picking for a while with the scalpel and wrist and while it's coming along alright I don't find it as easy to execute as hybrid picking but then the remedy for that is to get off the internet and PRACTICE!

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:40 am
by uderoche (deleted)

It's pretty. It's clean. I don't really have an opinion on it. He has a sock tied around the neck to help him mute. Weak. He can play. It's just boring. Normal GIT 80's Shrapnel records shred stuff. Good but boring is what I'd say. I wouldn't buy the album. Doesn't hold my interest. It's not at all forward thinking. It's just nicely played Frank Gambale style licks on an 8 string guitar.

As for the technique of directional picking, it's cool but it lacks the aggressive punch and attack of alternate picking.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/UrsinDeRoche
YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 am
by JoelMedina • 72 Posts

I've heard a few tracks from his cd and musically speaking, I agree, his style doesn't interest me much at all. What's impressing me is how comfortable and fluid he is in his technique. I'm assuming he's just tying a sock around in the 8-string video because the instrument was new to him at the time of that recording. There's other videos of him playing without it on his 6-string:

The whole 'should I bother with directional picking' debate in my head is rather frustrating. I'm very satisfied with my ability in alternate picking everything. On one hand I would be gaining another tool in my arsenal but on the other, it would take a considerable amount of time to put in so I would feel comfortable in it. Time I can spend getting better at putting a focused effort on improvisation, furthering musical understanding, learning tunes, and playing with others. I'm a little wary of things that can trigger me into falling in the trap of technique obsession... again.

Last edited Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:38 pm
by uderoche (deleted)

I think it all comes down to the sound. Directional picking gives things a smoother sound. Closer to the legato type sound. If that's the sound you hear in your head then, start to work on directional picking. If not then, spend your time working on other things.

Twitter @ursinderoche
Facebook www.facebook.com/UrsinDeRoche
YouTube www.youtube.com/ursinderoche
Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:56 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Frank Gambale told me personally that it took him over 10 years of hard practice to feel like he had it down. After he told me that I started working on it with that in mind. Th big difference is in the focus and dedication to a technique, not just falling into quasi directional picking because you are lazy and cant do alternate or scalpel. I come across hundreds of guys every year who do quasi directional picking and cant do alternate. Not the case with Frank Gambale.

Last edited Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:01 am | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:38 pm
by diegopaudyal • 91 Posts

Here I have the Right Hand Picking Exercise 2.53 Picking on adjacent strings. My progress on picking for the last 5 months since I started taking lessons here. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanx to Pebber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rmPRcBov08

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 21 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
874 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 529) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly