An Order of Precedence?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:45 am
by BrianTX • 13 Posts

Greetings everyone,

My question today is this:

When learning scale forms (say after you have all 14 positions of the Gmaj and minor memorized), is it beneficial to follow the circle of fifths, chronological order, or does it make absolutely no difference whatsoever in which order I learn the 14 position system for the other 11 scale tones?

If I am not being clear, I understand that ALL scale tones should eventually be applied to the 14 position scale system. I am curious as to whether or not a specific order is more beneficial to musical understanding.

If 12 bar blues is based upon a I, IV, V progression and I learned the 14 position of the G, will learning C (IV) and D (V) give me a benefit in the ability to solo over a G major blues song or should I just move on to A as the next 14 position system to memorize and not worry so much about the order of precedence?

Scroll up

RE: An Order of Precedence?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:17 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

Your question is all over the map. Blues progressions dont use major scales like that.

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:13 pm
by BrianTX • 13 Posts

Okay, forget blues progressions.

I have memorized the PB 14 position scale position system in the key of G. Chromatically, G sharp is the next key. As the maestro, do you want me to memorize the other 11 keys in any particular order?

Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:14 pm
by deltadaz • 9 Posts

All positions are movable so if you know it in G you know the physical part. Now its about mapping it out in all keys for the theory
As for what keys to learn next a lot of people would just go around the circle of fiths, as this changes just one note.

Last edited Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:17 pm | Scroll up

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

You need to work on your technique for a year first.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 10 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
325 guests and 1 member have been online today (yesterday: 917) guests / 1) members).

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

1 member has been online today :
McFly