Is Regression, Progression?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:45 pm
by BrianTX • 13 Posts

Hey forum,

Not looking to beat a dead horse, but I am curious about something and would like everyone's input.

Is self imposed regression a form of progression?

I have been studying the PB technique/system for over 9 months and have made many gains. I have the 14 position Gmaj system memorized and about 1/2 of the melodic minor as well as the Em and Am pentatonic positions. Over the past few weeks, I have pretty much abandoned doing any scales or intervals in favor of going back and trying to perfect the spider exercises, ladders, trills, chromatic movements, etc... I now realize how important these "basics" really are, despite the progress I have made in becoming fluent in scale runs.

I understand that the generic answer is to practice everything as much as possible. I saw of video of PB performing the spider exercises with a metronome (which I "almost" always have on), and I thought I was pretty darned fluent with spiders, but doing them with a metronome showed me a serious defect in my ability. My chromatic scales were coming along until I posted a video and noticed I was sliding my fingers along the strings which produced a loud squeak (sloppy), and so I am back to 16th notes at 45bpm (no more squeaks, but landing on the incorrect string.)

Am I putting too much emphasis on the basics? I don't seem to be able to make much progress practicing anything for only 10 minutes, so I tend to focus my one hour practice sessions on only 1 or 2 exercises, usually 30 minutes each, continuously.

Scroll up

RE: Is Regression, Progression?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:32 am
by BrianTX • 13 Posts

As I cannot edit my post:

I have pretty much found my answer in another PB video. Practice EVERYTHING!!!!!!

I moved into doing scales and such because I thought my spiders and such were coming along quite well.

Scroll up

RE: Is Regression, Progression?

in PB Guitarstudio FORUMS Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:44 am
by pebberbrown • 926 Posts

The Masters are masters because they constantly practice the basics in addition to new repertoire. I was amazed one time at the Dick Grove School of Music back n 1980 when I was in an improv 101 class and who should show up to be in the class none other than Master Saxophonist Ernie Watts (album and studio credits a mile long). I asked him why he was in this class! He said "Man I need to review the basics and get more tight on them." The basics are also part of every martial arts master - they are masters because they master the basics. I dont practice spiders anymore because I teach them all day long and have been doing them for over 4 decades. But still - when I take a vacation or time off from playing for whatever reason, I will once again do chromatic scales and spiders for a good while until the coordination feeling returns.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: charlie66
guest counter
Today were 101 (yesterday 452) guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 918 topics and 8186 posts.

0 members have been online today: